Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illinois Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum122/)
-   -   Surprise Move! Coming to the Chicago area (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1249414-surprise-move-coming-to-the-chicago-area.html)

creich68 06-13-2013 10:01 PM

Surprise Move! Coming to the Chicago area

Just moved to Dallas (from St. Louis MO to Grapevine TX) area a week ago to start a new job this past Monday, only to find out 3 hours into my first day that the company wants me to move to the Chicago office. The office I will be at is in the Weschester suburb.

Because of this, the whole moving process begins all over for me. So I was hoping those of you in the Chicago area might have suggestions on town/cities that may be good to look at for apartments and town/cities to avoid. I'd like to be no more than 20 mins away from the office so I know that limits some choices and I'd like to be south/southwest of the Westchester area. Looking to avoid the city as much as possible. If you guys have any advice or suggestions, it is greatly appreciated!!

CLINT-THE-GREAT 06-14-2013 01:15 AM

Hi Clay!!! Sucks to hear about all the moving, have witnessed a nearly identical situation.

I've never lived in Chicagoland, but I know the area pretty good. Unfortunately you won't avoid the traffic where ever you move. Westchester is at the intersection of 290/294/88. So unfortunately, no matter which direction you live you WILL have traffic. If you want to live south/south west, I would suggest a few places, but it doesn't matter, you will still be in traffic. Hopefully some guys from Chicagoland will chime in

-The Great

sammy77 06-15-2013 07:22 AM

Westchester itself isn't bad. Really depends on what you'd like to spend for rent, and what you'd like to rent. Do you have kids(schools)? You have lots of choices. South/Southwest of Westchester is LaGrange, Western Springs, Brookfield, Countryside, Hodgkins..

LMS Residential 06-15-2013 07:45 AM

You have a lot of good choices within 20 minutes of Westchester. As stated, however, it will be impossible to avoid our notorious traffic here.
Since you asked, I am going out on a limb here and telling you places I personally would avoid...particularly if I had kids.
Maywood
Broadview
Franklin Park
Stone Park
Hodgkins
Melrose Park
Lyons
Berwyn
Cicero
Northlake

Recommended, albeit a little pricier than the aforementioned....
Westchester
Riverside
North Riverside
Forest Park
Oak Park
River Forest
Elmwood Park
River Grove
Brookfield
LaGrange
LaGrange Park
Countryside
Western Springs
Elmhurst

These are the major players and choices, there's more. Feel free to PM me with specific questions while searching. I've lived and built homes in all of the aforementioned areas for 34+ years and know them well. Oftentimes the criteria is so similar you may want to consider checking out the ratings on the school systems or access to public transportation or shopping.
Good luck. It really is a very convenient metropolis to live in and, carefully chosen, not nearly as rough a place as some would have you believe.
Ready yourself for fuel price shock, right now unleaded regular is ranging from 4.39 to 4.79 a gallon.

Disclaimer... I mean no harm in my list of places to avoid and am sorry if it offends anyone. He's going to be completely new to the area and, on the surface, many of these places seem the same. It's difficult to determine things like drug selling and gang activity.

shaferz 06-17-2013 01:25 PM

Congrats on the (2nd) move! :)

I spent 3 years in the suburbs for college, and I just wanted to say that I agree with everything that LMS Residential stated.

Gas is expensive and traffic sucks dick - but I do miss living up there!

Kdr358 06-26-2013 09:37 AM

I have to agree with the above areas to avoid. Traffic is hoddible pretty much anywhere. I live in Elmhurst about 25 min W of Chicago and its starting to get pretty crowded.