Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   1995 Bronco stalls when put into drive (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1249335-1995-bronco-stalls-when-put-into-drive.html)

dweb4 06-13-2013 03:13 PM

1995 Bronco stalls when put into drive

I have a 95 bronco, that until yesturday was running fine. I got in and put it into drive and then the engine just died. I put it back in neutral restarted and let it warm up. Put it back in drive and engine stalled again, engine will not run in drive. The fluid was a little low I added half a quart and still same result. I can put the truck in reverse and the truck runs like a dream but soon as I put it in drive again, stall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Encho 06-13-2013 10:32 PM

Welcome to FTE dweb4! You're probably lacking way more ATF than the half qt. you put in. The ATF level has to be measured with the engine running at operating temp. while in Park, usually I would advice running around the block and driving around for a while before taking the measure but in your case that won't be possible. Once filled try moving the truck again, and remember checking the fluid at least once more later the same day, same procedure.

How did you measure the ATF level anyway?.

Torky2 06-13-2013 11:55 PM

Just off of the top of my head, two thoughts.

Since it's OK in Reverse, that seems to say the IAC is OK.

1)Some electrical problem with the transmission range switch?

2)Engine torqueing on mounts causing an electrical or vacuum problem?
Of course the engine always turns the same way, CW as viewed from the front. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...
So when in Drive and foot on brake, the engine torques CCW (as viewed from the front) against the stopped driveshaft, since the trans output shaft would turn CW in all forward gears.
But when in Reverse, the driveshaft would turn CCW (as viewed from the front), so the engine would torque over in the CW direction... the opposite of when you are in Drive.
So, is there some electrical connection or vacuum connection that is opening up when the engine torques CCW? Maybe vac line to the MAP sensor, vac take-off to the brake booster, loose battery terminal, etc. etc.

Just some thoughts.

Encho 06-14-2013 12:05 AM

I just thought, what about a faulty MLPS? that would probably cause problems too.

dweb4 06-15-2013 03:44 PM

Ok did a little work today and here is what I have now. Took truck out and it will drive again in reverse as well as 1st gear and once driving shift into second no problem I put into drive and truck will run but once I slow down in drive to under about 5mph the engine sputters and it goes into a stall. I checked the fluid it was ok, so I decided to change it anyway. Took pan off filter still attached to the trans, I put new filter, pan gasket and fluid in. Went back out same results. So I went and got a ford code reader and this is what I got:

Engine off codes: 157, 629

Engine on codes: 536, 538, 632

Please feel free to give me your comments and thoughts, if I can't solve it by tomorrow it's going to the shop.

greystreak92 06-15-2013 04:50 PM

Code 157 - Indicates a mass-air sensor fault. Assuming yours is indeed a mass-air equipped model, that is the root of your stalling problems. Replacement is the best course as repair is not typically advisable.

Code 629 (during the KOEO test) - indicates that the transfer case was engaged in a 4WD gear (HI or LO) during the KOEO test.

Code 629 (during the KOER test) indicates that the TOT (Transmission Overall Temperature) sensor was out of range (too cold) to perform the test. OR that the TOT sensor indicated high voltage back the to the ECM (meaning the the external temperature was less than -40º F....highly unlikely unless you live that far north or south).

Code 536 - Indicates that the operator did not step on the brake pedal during the KOER test. (If you did, and this Code still shows up, check your brake light switch for proper operation).

Code 538 - Indicates the operator did not perform the "goose test" during the KOER. This is the dynamic response portion of the test. There is no other reason for this Code to manifest.

Code 632 - Indicates that the operator did not de-activate/re-activate the Overdrive cancel switch during the KOER test.

dweb4 06-15-2013 06:06 PM

Ok went back and pulled the codes again, after noticing I was missing steps, here is what I got now.

KOEO codes

157, and 629

KOER

no codes

I'm hoping it is just the mass-air sensor...

Ddanos80 12-31-2016 11:18 AM

Problem fixed?

Originally Posted by dweb4 (Post 13257288)
Ok went back and pulled the codes again, after noticing I was missing steps, here is what I got now.

KOEO codes

157, and 629

KOER

no codes

did you ever get the problem fixed??? Mine started doing the same thing last night.

Ddanos80 12-31-2016 11:19 AM

Problem fixed?

Did you ever figure out the issue??? My started doing the same thing last night.

rvarc 06-16-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dweb4 (Post 13257288)

KOEO codes

157, and 629

KOER

no codes

Hi, did you ever find the problem

rla2005 06-20-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by rvarc (Post 18039857)
Hi, did you ever find the problem

The OP has not been on this forum since 06-30-2013 11:56 AM

Best bet is to start your own new thread for whatever issue you are having.

edit: NVM...you already did https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-stalling.html

rvarc 06-20-2018 07:11 PM

Yes, thanks. Waiting on the part and will update.

Missy Steele 08-24-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by dweb4 (Post 13251475)
I have a 95 bronco, that until yesturday was running fine. I got in and put it into drive and then the engine just died. I put it back in neutral restarted and let it warm up. Put it back in drive and engine stalled again, engine will not run in drive. The fluid was a little low I added half a quart and still same result. I can put the truck in reverse and the truck runs like a dream but soon as I put it in drive again, stall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

95 bronco did the same way 4 Yea ago. I have been driving it ever since like a straightshift on the column.
Try starting out in 1st and as your speed changes you gear up or down accordingly. I can't figure out what's wrong with mine but at least I can drive it if I have to like this. Also my overdrive starts blinking and it will really act a fool. idk I have tried several things with no results. Last thing I tried was changing speed sensors with no luck. Good luck and hope you get a fixed answer so I can possibly get mine fixed.