Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Odd problem I can't find (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1249190-odd-problem-i-cant-find.html)

truckrider814 06-12-2013 09:04 PM

Odd problem I can't find

Ever since I bought my truck it's always been slow to get going. Seems Like it won't build boost it'll may e get up to 10 before it'll shift to second then it goes back to normal. Once I'm rolling tho an I step on it it'll scream like a raped ape all the power. It doesn't matter if its cold or hot wet or dry. I've searched on here an haven't found nothing that fits right to the problem. I've driven other trucks just like mine an none of them have the same problem not even the bucket truck at work an that things on its last leg it's been so neglected.

oldbird1965 06-12-2013 11:03 PM

Have you checked all the usual stuff like oil being full and good, fuel pressure, etc. This will give you a bump.

stainlessstroker95 06-12-2013 11:10 PM

I wonder if the ebpv is closing on you for some reson.

IDMooseMan 06-13-2013 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 13249696)
Have you checked all the usual stuff like oil being full and good, fuel pressure, etc. This will give you a bump.

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95 (Post 13249723)
I wonder if the ebpv is closing on you for some reson.

These were my first thoughts, as well. I've noticed my truck is much more responsive after an oil and filter change.

With the warmer weather approaching most locations, you can probably disconnect the EBPV connection under the turbo (it's a two-wire plug) to have the system default to "EBPV Open" all the time. It's used to help warm up the engine during cooler weather.

Unplug it and drive around for awhile. Try to drive the same roads as when your situation described above happens. If the slowness doesn't happen with the EBPV disconnected, you have your answer.

Have you checked for codes?

truckrider814 06-13-2013 06:00 AM

Sorry I forgot to add that ebpv has been unplugged for over a year. Oil is fine checked that an it had a change not to long ago. An changing the oil don't do nothing. No codes except the ebpv. An the last time I checked the fuel pressure it was good but that was awhile ago, when I changed out fuel bowls.

Hussler 06-13-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by truckrider814 (Post 13249285)
Ever since I bought my truck it's always been slow to get going. Seems Like it won't build boost it'll may e get up to 10 before it'll shift to second then it goes back to normal. Once I'm rolling tho an I step on it it'll scream like a raped ape all the power. It doesn't matter if its cold or hot wet or dry. I've searched on here an haven't found nothing that fits right to the problem. I've driven other trucks just like mine an none of them have the same problem not even the bucket truck at work an that things on its last leg it's been so neglected.

10 what, PSI? That's pretty impressive going from 1st to 2nd with an auto transmission, unless you are flooring it. Maybe you are over fueling. Try unplugging the MAP sensor and see it there is a difference.

truckrider814 06-13-2013 10:20 AM

Yeah trying to floor it it may finally get to 10 psi(sorry). I've already replaced the map sensor.

RÖENTGEEP 06-14-2013 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by truckrider814 (Post 13250187)
Sorry I forgot to add that ebpv has been unplugged for over a year. Oil is fine checked that an it had a change not to long ago. An changing the oil don't do nothing. No codes except the ebpv. An the last time I checked the fuel pressure it was good but that was awhile ago, when I changed out fuel bowls.

But it is OPEN?, some times it gets partially close even if it is unplugged :-huh

:-drink

truckrider814 06-15-2013 07:45 PM

As far as i know it's open. And i was wrong on the boost psi just found out that my gauge is bad, hooked up a known good one and numbers are totally different. So when this happens it only gets to about 2 psi till it shifts into 2nd. This is driving me nuts that i cant find out what's wrong with it. Kinda makes me want to sell it to the guy whos been bugging me for a year, get the one i actually want.

oldbird1965 06-15-2013 09:45 PM

I know exactly where your at, been there lots of times. Hang in there! What's the boost on the new gauge, after 1st gear. First gear happens to fast for the turbo to get spooled up.