Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Automatic to Manual ... Advice needed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1249158-automatic-to-manual-advice-needed.html)

dieselsubmariner 06-12-2013 07:27 PM

Automatic to Manual ... Advice needed

Hi Guys,

as a lot of you here, i do not like my E40d and i want to swap it to a manual.
Besides the obvious , ie transmission, clutch, flywheel, and pedals with cylinders, what else will i need ? i heard , the Trans tunnel is taller on a manual and needs to be modified?
How about the Starter ? will it still fit? PCM ? how do i modify the Harness?Driveshaft ok? :-huh

I been reading, a lot of people like the ZF. As a stupid question here: does any ZF , 5 or 6 speed from a diesel fit (95-2003) Was there another standard transmission used by ford , i need to stay away from ?

Thanks for any input / guidance.

BTW, my automatic still shifts fine, just don’t like auto in a diesel :)

FI460 06-12-2013 07:34 PM

ZF5 is the one you want. ZF6 take s more parts and time... driveshafts need to be modified. You can use your auto pcm.

Bill has a thread with the necessary wiring changes. You need the manual crossmember too. Think I'm missing something, but I'm only phone.

dieselsubmariner 06-12-2013 09:11 PM

i guess if someone knows of a good write up, that surely would help :-)

ReBilld 06-12-2013 09:15 PM

It would be best to get a manual trans harness and do a couple simple modifications to it. It's easier than modifying the auto harness.

dieselsubmariner 06-12-2013 09:41 PM

does any year ZF 5 speed fit as long as it is a 7.3 OBS?
So i need the driveshaft or what mod would i need to do on it?

dieselsubmariner 06-12-2013 09:42 PM

since i plan on rebuilding the turbo at the same time and change the down pipe, would it make sense to remove the ebp valve or can i convert it into a exhaust brake?

DIYMechanic 06-13-2013 08:26 AM

If you can, get the floor pan with the hole in it for the shifter. If you can't get it, you can use the one you have, you'll just have to cut a hole in it for the handshaker. The tunnel and pan are the same height, it's just easier not to have to cut the hole in the floor pan since that section unbolts from the cab anyway.

So the list should be:

-Transmission from a Ford diesel (6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI, 7.3 PSD, doesn't matter)
-Clutch and pressure plate - it's recommended to upgrade to a SMF during the process
-Pedal box from a '92-'97 truck (F-150 (92-96) ,250 or 350 it just has to be the OBS style not the newer '97 F-150 style) -- it's also wise to do the heim joint fix now too to eliminate that bushing issue in the future
-Clutch master and slave cylinder
-Drive shafts from a manual truck with the same cab configuration as yours (if you can get them -- if not you will have to have yours lengthened and shortened by I believe 5 & 3/8" -- Bill knows for sure )
-Manual PCM if you can get it (optional but makes the swap cleaner)
-ZF5 Transmission Crossmember
-Manual Transmission wiring harness (again, optional but makes the swap simpler)
-Clutch Master Cylinder safety switch
-Manual Transmission Truck Steering Column (or you can swap the covers and key cylinder lock lever onto your Auto column)
-Manual gauge cluster (or at least the blank panel that covers the auto shift indicator)
All the consumables you'll need (fluids, bearings, etc)
A few buddies and a cooler or fridge full of the cold beverages of your choice and you can have it done in a weekend.

Also, I think many of the guys would agree with me that having a transmission jack available makes this a lot safer and easier that wrestling that thing in there by hand or on a floor jack.

That's pretty much it as far as I can remember. Bill (ReBilld) is the expert on this. He has done 3 or 4 of these now. If I am forgetting something I'm sure he can point out what it would be.

The starter from your E4OD truck is the same, so you can reuse that as well.

Honestly if you can, get a parts truck and pull all this stuff from it. Having it all there in one place makes it a LOT easier and then you can sell the balance of the truck as parts (or keep them as spares).

ReBilld 06-13-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic (Post 13250471)
If you can, get the floor pan with the hole in it for the shifter. If you can't get it, you can use the one you have, you'll just have to cut a hole in it for the handshaker. The tunnel and pan are the same height, it's just easier not to have to cut the hole in the floor pan since that section unbolts from the cab anyway.

So the list should be:

-Transmission from a Ford diesel (6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI, 7.3 PSD, doesn't matter)
-Clutch and pressure plate - it's recommended to upgrade to a SMF during the process
-Pedal box from a '92-'97 truck (F-150 (92-96) ,250 or 350 it just has to be the OBS style not the newer '97 F-150 style) -- it's also wise to do the heim joint fix now too to eliminate that bushing issue in the future
-Clutch master and slave cylinder
-Drive shafts from a manual truck with the same cab configuration as yours (if you can get them -- if not you will have to have yours lengthened and shortened by I believe 3 & 5/8" -- Bill knows for sure )
-Manual PCM if you can get it (optional but makes the swap cleaner)
-ZF5 Transmission Crossmember
-Manual Transmission wiring harness (again, optional but makes the swap simpler)
-Clutch Master Cylinder safety switch
-Manual Transmission Truck Steering Column (or you can swap the covers and key cylinder lock lever onto your Auto column)
-Manual gauge cluster (or at least the blank panel that covers the auto shift indicator)
All the consumables you'll need (fluids, bearings, etc)
A few buddies and a cooler or fridge full of the cold beverages of your choice and you can have it done in a weekend.

Also, I think many of the guys would agree with me that having a transmission jack available makes this a lot safer and easier that wrestling that thing in there by hand or on a floor jack.

That's pretty much it as far as I can remember. Bill (ReBilld) is the expert on this. He has done 3 or 4 of these now. If I am forgetting something I'm sure he can point out what it would be.

The starter from your E4OD truck is the same, so you can reuse that as well.

Honestly if you can, get a parts truck and pull all this stuff from it. Having it all there in one place makes it a LOT easier and then you can sell the balance of the truck as parts (or keep them as spares).

I don't know if I would consider myself an expert at much of anything Nate LOL! But thanks! You pretty much covered the list, except the drive shaft needs to be lengthened 5 3/8", and that is on the 4x4s. I've never swaped a 2wd, so that measurement may not be correct either. The best thing to do there is measure the 2wd E4OD and the 2wd ZF and what ever the difference is, make the drive shaft that much longer.

FI460 06-13-2013 03:17 PM

I'm finishing my swap up right now. I bought the whole package from a guy who was putting an e40d into his truck. I agree with Nate though about getting a parts truck.

It was nice that everything was already removed for me, and he did a great job labeling it, but it can be tough sometimes to figure out how things go together since I didnt see them come off the old truck.

ReBilld 06-13-2013 03:19 PM

Did you get the text I sent you today Rick?

FI460 06-13-2013 03:25 PM

Not yet. I havent been into cell service yet. I will be this afternoon. I'm burnt out right now from just too much going on so my swap has stalled for a few days to recuperate.

tshrager 06-13-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by FI460 (Post 13251488)
I'm finishing my swap up right now. I bought the whole package from a guy who was putting an e40d into his truck. I agree with Nate though about getting a parts truck.

It was nice that everything was already removed for me, and he did a great job labeling it, but it can be tough sometimes to figure out how things go together since I didnt see them come off the old truck.

That's my problem Rick, I still don't know what they did to my truck. I was parts running and the darn thing was in when I got back! Lol

FI460 06-13-2013 04:58 PM

A little birdy told me there is a spot somewhere that says "Bill was here". Happy hunting :-X22

dieselsubmariner 06-13-2013 05:22 PM

thanks guys,
that is quiet a bit of info. Just hope i will get all parts pretty soon though.
Can anyone confirm the driveshaft modification for the 2wd, it it is necessary?
Also, what kind of electrical changes on the wiring do i have to make and can i use my pcm as is ? And how about the ebp valve.. who is using it as an exhaust brake? or is it not worth it?

thanks

FI460 06-13-2013 06:57 PM

Most say the benefits aren't worth it and just delete it. The e40d is about 5 inches longer so your rear shaft would need lengthened.