Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   Need help with motorcycle decision (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1248421-need-help-with-motorcycle-decision.html)

thomabb 06-12-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by first today (Post 13246430)
For your size, I would say look at the VTX 1300 or 1800 retro.

I own a 2003 VTX1800. It is a big bike, but someone of your stature should be OK with it. I'm not sure about recommending it as a beginner bike though. And you are looking at 36 - 38 mpg on a v-twin with pistons the size of coffee cans.

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 03:46 PM

Eh yeah I was hoping for something with a 50 mpg + and maybe a little - if that's all I could get.

first today 06-12-2013 04:05 PM

For that kind of mileage you need a moped. A friend of mine gets 83 mpg on his ruckus and top speed of 47 mph.

At your size and my size, I do not see any reason a larger powered motor makes a difference. If you are going to ride, ride what fits you. You have to get familiar with what you ride regardless of engine size. Respect the bike and the power it has and you should be okay.

If you were 5foot 5 or 5 foot 10, a smaller bike would be fine due to the variety of bikes to choose that will fit that stature. Tall wide guys with floorboards for feet, need a large frame bike. This is why I am saying the 1300 or 1800 works best for me. The 1300 is the smallest engine for the large frame bike.

A meanstreak is 1500 cc but is a small frame bike compared to a vtx. I am jammed up when I have ridden my friends. I love Harleys, I just can not go more than a few miles without getting cramped or a sore lower back.

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 07:41 PM

10-4.

I tell the dealership guy to find me

A VTX, Vulcan, or V star.

first today 06-12-2013 08:42 PM

One other suggestion would be to go to your local bike night. You can shop all brands of bikes and get a feel for size and shape. Some people may even let you sit on the bike to see how you feel on it.

Bike night here is on Wednesday night. All cities vary. Lots of good people willing to help a fellow rider.

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 09:26 PM

We dont have bike night. A guy I work with drives his Yamaha V star..it seems comfy.

first today 06-12-2013 09:28 PM

That sucks. Tonight There are about 100 down the street from me.

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 09:40 PM

Yeah. People have motorcycles here but they dont meet up.

first today 06-12-2013 09:51 PM

Basically you have to get what you feel comfortable with and can afford. If you go with a smaller bike frame, look into forward controls on ebay.

My brother rides a honda 1100 with homemade forward controls. He is larger than me. He is around 300 pounds and 6 foot 4.

The further the controls will go without interfering with the front wheel turn radius, the better.

Depending on the bike and your mechanic abilities will determine the cost to add the foot controls. I had 7 inch controls on the old ace 750 that I had. That was back in the circus bear days.:D

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47758...81013&pid=15.1

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 10:21 PM

I see alot of bikes that I am interested in on Craigslist from $2000+ and in good shape. Just don't have the money.

I probably will take the Motorcycle Permit exam this Friday and go on and have them.

What is this "forward controls"?

first today 06-12-2013 10:42 PM

You take the stock foot pegs, shift lever, and brake pedal off. You then add a bracket that bolts to the frame and you re attach the factory parts back on the new bracket. They come with all needed parts for moving them. This will let you ride more comfortable and get your knees down more level with the gas tank.

This will give you an idea. These were what I had on the 750 ace.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Shadow-ACE-8-750-FORWARD-CONTROLS-EXTENSIONS-KIT-paint-or-polish-ready-/251224973975?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7e2ce297&vxp=mtr

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-12-2013 10:56 PM

Ah, I see..interesting.

jgavac 06-13-2013 12:00 AM

Years ago when my dad still rode, he had the 750 Vulcan. It was a pretty fun bike to ride on (at least my 10 yr old self thought so). He had it straight piped and you could hear it coming a mile away.

The other bike that I know a fair bit about and might fit you is the Harley Davidson Electra Glide. My manager at work is slightly smaller than you, probably about 6'2. He has a mid 2000's electa glide with the 88 cube engine (1450 CC), and often takes multi state trips. He says it is very easy to ride, and he doesn't get worn out, partly due to the mounting style of the forks.

As far as gear, you'll want to invest in good stuff. It can make the difference between life and death if you dump the bike at speed. Get some quality leathers for warm weather, and quality rain gear for, well, rain. My suggestion is getting a one piece for in the rain. Less chance of water seeping in. Trust me on this one; I live in Washington :P

Anyway, good luck on your search!
Jameson

ManfredVonRichtofen 06-17-2013 09:02 PM

Got my motorcycle permit....just trying to figure out what to do about a motorcycle now.

Fastfwd 06-21-2013 07:19 AM

Get a small engine cheap bike first. There are two kinds of motorcyclist:
- Those that have dropped the bike
- Those that will

I had a 500cc for 2 years and grew out of it when I started taking passengers frequently. With close to 300lbs on board it was annoying to lose that ability to pass other cars quickly on country roads.

I'm just 5'8 and felt right at home on a VFR 750. This would probably be too small for you.

For my next bike I'd like an adventure type bike such as BMW F800GS but they are too high for me; I'd need a lowered seat and possibly lowered suspension.

Look for anything made to go offroad. They are built high for rocks but that will make them perfect for tall guys.