Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum96/)
-   -   When I'm feelin homesick........ (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1248087-when-im-feelin-homesick.html)

cigarxtc 06-07-2013 08:04 PM

When I'm feelin homesick........

.......I remember the years I spent growing up in Texas.

....I remember the warmth of the sun as it glistened off the lazy ocean waves and how it warmed my face with my eyes closed in Seabrook.

......I remember the smell of the salt air as the ocean breeze pushed inland in Galveston.

.....I remember how Mickey Gilleys was the honkey tonk to be at and I was too young but my parents went to have a good time in Pasadena.

.....i remember all the bluebonnet and wild flowers planted on the roadsides and medians in Austin.

.........i remember watching the jackrabbits running across the barren rocket fields of Round Rock.

.....i remember my dad driving us down the Texas City Dike and being in awe of the giant sharks and sting rays hanging at the entrance, wondering how those behemoths were caught.

.....I remember digging for freshwater clams at the base of a freshwater river dam in San Antonio, and how great they tasted in the stew.

.....I remember the pungent smell of all the fresh seafood stalls all on the coast and how amazing the fresh fried shrimp and thick cut fries tasted so great.

.....I remember watching so many NASA employees and admiring them and dreaming of someday being able to work there. (That dream hasn't been realized yet.)

.....I remember spending many hours playing the ball fields and on the hot metal playground equipment of Clear Lake.

.....I remember tracing the seashell imprints of the San Jacinto monument with my small little kid hands and eating delicious lemon filled jelly donuts and spending half the day there and just having a blast with no worries.

....sigh....

.....sometimes i just get homesick for Texas. :o

Snuggyworm 06-11-2013 07:40 PM

sounds good. nice to know that ur doing alright in OK.

BobbyDiesel71 06-16-2013 09:25 PM

I am feeling homesick for Chicago
Just went home for a friends wedding, saw some old friends
I am rethinking moving to TX

texastech_diesel 06-17-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cigarxtc (Post 13233545)
.....I remember spending many hours playing the ball fields and on the hot metal playground equipment of Clear Lake.

Man, that's where I played Little League, just by the library across from the rec center. Wearing polyester uniforms when it was a heat index of about 115*, I don't know how I didn't melt into my cleats.

Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71 (Post 13260180)

Just remember, when it's -15*f, you're standing on the elevated train platform down in the Loop, trying to get you balls to drop below your armpits for the first time since October, wondering if you'll get shot or just mugged on the orange line to Midway, that it's 75 and sunny in Dallas, 30% humidity and turning out to be a perfect March morning :-jammin

My wife is from Chicago (well, Joliet), awesome place in the summer, I really honestly DO like it out in St Charles right off the river, but holy ice storm, it get's COLD in downtown in the winter. I lived in Denver for 10 years and the worst wind chill I can remember doesn't hold a candle to crossing the river on the Michigan Ave bridge in January.

jayft8 07-04-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71 (Post 13260180)
Just went home for a friends wedding, saw some old friends

Sorry to hear that for you, Bobby.
Speaking as a native, I do agree that my home state definitely has its minuses, but the pluses are pretty strong ones.
You haven't been here very long, give yourself some time to adjust, you might find it gets better for you.
That said, every year I find the 7 or so months of 90+ degree temperatures harder and harder to take myself, and know that there is a lot of great things to miss about the Chi-town. (blues, sports, food, etc.) After all, Frank Sinatra never recorded a song about Austin, did he?

BobbyDiesel71 07-05-2013 07:45 PM

Thanks for the Pick me up, Guys!! It's not the Tx weather or the people. I love it here!
I just miss my circle of friends and family.
Hoping to meet more TX FTE peeps this year!!