Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Title Question? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1246979-title-question.html)

Volition56 06-02-2013 10:51 AM

Title Question?

Hey all,

Just a quick question. I was lookin at purchasing a 1956 f100, and everything checked out, the only problem was that the owner didn't have the title, but would provide a bill of sale. A few days before I was to go and check it out he let me know that he had received the title from the person he bought it from but that the title was in neither of their names. He said he figured that the title had be last signed by someone who had passed away and that the title had just been passed around with the truck and never signed by those who bought it next. I declined from purchasing the truck until he had it titled in his name. This was the right thing to do correct? I know these trucks are old and titles can be a bit fun to deal with, but if I am correct I cannot legally buy that truck right?

Thanks

Doc 06-02-2013 10:59 AM

In my opinion, you're doing the right thing by making the seller straighten out the title before you buy it. The "horse traders" out there don't like to worry about titles and taxes. You just saved yourself a ton of headache.

jim collins 06-02-2013 11:46 AM

My opinion you did the right thing. I passed up a 56 ford from somebody i have known for a few years just because he would not get the title changed to his name and then to mine. I even offered to pay for all of the title work and anything else that came up . Including the extra frame he got to replace the one that somebody had subframed to the truck a few years ago and ruined it. But he found somebody else that took it as is with no title. I think he got what he wanted for the truck and never had to be bothered with paper work.

Volition56 06-02-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks to both of you. Really sucks, I thought this was the one :( Owner told me he wasn't willing to title it in his name, and even if he did it would take over 4 months. Either way, thanks!

topmoo 06-02-2013 12:45 PM

I have a friend who bought an 40 Ford from a guy in another state, who had had it for over 10 years and never transferred the title into his name. The previous owner had moved away long ago and couldn't be found. My friend went ahead and bought it and forged the previous owners name and a bill of sale based on their address from years before. I am sure that it wasn't the legal way to get a title, but it worked and he was able to save the car. He has "legally" owned it now for over 5 years. This would never work on newer cars, and I don't recommend doing it, but...

raytasch 06-02-2013 01:03 PM

Not the best situation for certain. Just my opinion, but I would base my decision to buy or not to buy on the laws of the state. Some states do not require or recognize titles for older vehicles. Some states require proof the vehicle was registered in a non title state to issue a title. Is the title notarized? Does the number match the frame? Does the deal smell of fish? JMHO, of course. Be very aware.

jim collins 06-02-2013 01:40 PM

They resale a lot of them with out changing the titles in my state "Idaho " so they get around paying a sales tax that is payed every time a vehical is retitled here. The last 73 ford i bought about a year ago had an out of state title in somebodys name other that the person i was buying it from. He had a bill of sale with it but i insisted he go in with me to do the change. After he got a little lecture from the DMV they did do the proper paper work for Idaho and charged him the sales tax along with my sales tax i payed. At least i know now i have a clean title , the other ways to do it can be a problem here. On the other hand getting one titled that has no title is pretty easy here with a bill of sale , i did it on a street rod.

jmadsen 06-02-2013 02:33 PM

In utah I purchased a couple of year old car to resale and the dmv said I did not need to retitle in my name. Just reasign the title to whomever I sold it to.
So the title was never in my name. However I signed the back, then under my name was a spot to reasign to the new owner.

( I should mention that this may cause a potential lender to not give a loan on this with out the title in my name. At least if its an out of state buyer/lender. Utah lenders wouldnt have a problem with it, at least the couple I checked with. )

Dmv said it would be silly for me to pay taxes if I was just reselling it. I agree but I was suprised they thought that way.

On old stuff ive had titles that where signed by the original owner in some cases decades ago and vehicle had been passed around (sold) probably a few times and not retitled. I would think having the original title signed would be better than a current owner applying for a duplicate or lost title. My 2 cents worth.

truckeemtnfords 06-02-2013 03:24 PM

To give your the best advice possible it would be nice if you put your location in the top right corner or at the very least mention the state we are dealing with . Title issues very widely state to state so what works for one guy probably won't work for the next guy from another state.

obscurity 06-02-2013 04:01 PM

I agree that you should be cautious but in Georgia I'm told (by the DMV) that they do not issue titles for cars older then about 1964. Even if you have the old title they will not issue a new one in your name.

john

AXracer 06-02-2013 11:54 PM

Every state has their own rules as to how they deal with titles on early vehicles. Some are easy and some are near impossible. You definitely want to have legal ownership on any purchase before you put a dime or a minute into it. If ever checked and listed as stolen they can confiscate it.
FYI the serial number stamped into the frame is the only legal identifier and needs to match the paperwork.

ben73058 06-03-2013 07:10 AM

Hey Volition,
How's it going over there? We bought our truck here in Austin (3) years ago. The guy had the blue title but it was in the name of his "father-in-law" . I bought it & with a bill of sale from the name on the title went to visit our Texas DMV. They required Vin verification & payment of sales tax on the purchase price.

The Vin verification process wasn't huge - any inspection place has a form they fill out for a $1. This doesn't sound too different from your situation. I'd triple check that the truck has a tag or frame stamp with the matching Vin #. Our's had a tag in the glove compartment.

We also have an "In Bond" process here in Texas if you have a lost title.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Kurt G. 06-03-2013 09:55 AM

I had a hard time getting a title on an old 50 Buick, it was a mess took about 40 hrs at DMV. I bought a dirt bike from Idaho with no title and I had a notorized BOS. When I went to get it inspected it was in back of my 54. The inspector gave me so much grief about non-legal rear bumper. I was so pissed I finally told him I was there for the bike not the truck, the truck was legal. I have a stock rear bumper by the way. When we stepped into his office what do I see on his shelf, an LMC catalog and on cover was a chrome bumper sale for the ford truck. Ughh state officials. I complained about him when I registered the bike.

Dobies4life 06-03-2013 10:27 AM

My truck was a Virginia title.It was titled with the 98RCXXXX. Which is still unique to the truck, just not the correct VIN. It was inspected and the state of Ohio titled it that way. Myself and the inspector didnt really know there were other ID numbers. This might be a work around for those multi-decade lost titles.

obscurity 06-03-2013 01:36 PM

Just out of curiousity where on the frame rail is the VIN number?

52 Merc 06-03-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by obscurity (Post 13220166)
Just out of curiousity where on the frame rail is the VIN number?

It can vary by year and assembly plant, but typically for a US built 49 F3, you should find it on the top of the right frame rail, under the hood, near the shock mount or motor mount loop.