Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   TFI Module (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1246651-tfi-module.html)

RIKIL 05-31-2013 04:48 PM

TFI Module

I've got a wiring harness that I am going to use as a replacement for what's in the truck now. My truck has the gray remote mounted TFI module and the harness I got has the black remote mounted module.

I see there's only a small amount of wiring between the two but I'm not sure if I should change it. Is there an advantage to using one vs the other? If not I'll just keep the black one on the new harness

Thanks

subford 05-31-2013 06:13 PM

The TFI (ICM) has to match the computer. The Black one goes with a CCD Computer and the Gray one does not as it is used with a push start computer.

Also the wiring harness are different. The Gray one has a start wire going to the TFI and the Black one does not. Also the Gray one has a resister going from the coil to the computer to generate the IDM information to the computer where the Black one generates the IDM to the computer.

So with a black one the engine may be harder to start as there is no start wire to make the TFI fire on base timing as the engine is cranked.

UncleCracker302 05-31-2013 08:29 PM

Rookie question: what is a CCD computer and what years/makes were they on? (Just wanna get my knowledge on)

Evan_P 05-31-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by UncleCracker302 (Post 13212642)
Rookie question: what is a CCD computer and what years/makes were they on? (Just wanna get my knowledge on)

Always nice to educate yourself when you can. I can respect that.:-X22

This should help some:
http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20..._or_black.html

UncleCracker302 06-01-2013 04:52 AM

My head just exploded but thanks for the link! :)

subford 06-01-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by UncleCracker302 (Post 13212642)

Note that all references TFL is a typo in that link and should have read TFI.
TFI stands for Thick Film Integrated ignition module and not Thick Film Ignition module.

As to what year, all of our F & E series trucks 1994 and newer have and take the Black module and all 1994 and newer trucks have the CCD Computer in them.

All of the 1993 and older trucks are "Push-Start" and take the Gray TFI (ICM) module

UncleCracker302 06-01-2013 07:47 AM

Thanks for the answers. I replaced my ignition module last December and wanted to make sure I have the right color.

RIKIL 06-01-2013 01:08 PM

That's all good info, thanks

RIKIL 06-03-2013 01:52 PM

One small bit of info missing...I can't find what wattage is needed for the resistor. I know it's a 22k ohm resistor but all have a wattage and I can't find this listed.

Anyone?

subford 06-03-2013 02:25 PM

The IDM just feeds a chip and a cap so would not think it to be very much. I think a 1/2 watt would be good but you can put a larger one in if you like.

wag53 06-03-2013 02:58 PM

That was enlightening, thanks for the education. Did not realize there was a difference.

Bovaloe 06-03-2013 09:27 PM

Related question. I work at an autoparts store and we started carrying an Accel "performance" TFI. What type of gains could be seen, if any?

subford 06-04-2013 07:23 AM

To start with in their look-up they only cover 1984-1993.
The TFI module is just an off and on switch operated by the computer with the SPOUT in and operated by the PIP with the SPOUT removed.

The off & on switch is a transistor taking the Ignition Coils primary winding to ground.
The same job the points did years ago.

So there is no way it can improve anything unless they came up with a faster switching transistor or a transistor with a higher current carrying capacity. They may be able to keep the transistor on longer after the PIP or spout signal to get better MPG (longer dwell). But you can get inferior products when you do not go with the OEM item.

I have also heard the after market ICM's fail a lot faster than the OEM modules.

RIKIL 06-06-2013 11:15 AM

I found a resistor and it is shrink wrapped and has printing on the outside (looks like this came from the factory like this, I am used to seeing the bands). It's clearly labeled as 2.2k ohm and measures 2.187k ohm. Is this going to be ok?

subford 06-06-2013 01:38 PM

Yes it is OK. that is the way the factory does it.