Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Steering and Suspension 2011-2013 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1246394-steering-and-suspension-2011-2013-a.html)

BIGTRUCKBIGRV 05-30-2013 09:27 AM

Steering and Suspension 2011-2013

I know that most of what I am asking has been covered by many members in multiple threads, however, all the topics get off track and start to confuse the situation. So I am going to ask a series of basic suspension related questions with the hope of getting simple to - the - point answers.

Here we go.
1. If you have replaced the OEM Steering stabilizer with an aftermarket damper, which brand and model did you go with and what problems (if any) did is solve?
Example: Rancho RS5000, showed no significant improvement over OEM is my opinion.

2. If you replaced your OEM shocks, did you do it because of the ride quality, they were leaking, blown, just because, or some other reason? What brand and model did you go with and what improvement did you experience?
Example: Skyjacker M95 monotubes, improved ride quality over all types of surfaces also allowed 2" level kit without the need for spacers. Also improved handling while at interstate speeds.

3. Overall rating of the following using 1-10 scale (1 being the worst)
-Smoothing out small bumps (road imperfections)
-Smoothing out large bumps (harsh speed bumps and pot holes)
-Smoothing out washboard roads
-Fixing Steering pull (over uneven surfaces)
-Overall ride improvement
-improvement to comfort of passengers riding
-Improved handling over high speeds
-Improved handling in low speeds
-Improved Corning
-Reduces jaring while traveling over "less than perfectly paved" arterial roads.

I want this thread to be a "buying guild" for those looking to purchase upgraded parts that replace OEM geer.

dualwheels66 05-30-2013 04:27 PM

I just bought a 2013 F350 dually and the stock shocks are crap. The last 3 trucks I have bought I replaced the stock shocks with Bilsteins and love them. Stock shock seem to have no ability to control rebound but the Bilsteins make a huge difference and actually improve the ride.
As far as the steering stabilizer, go with the Bilstein also. I don't have part numbers for you right now as I am also looking for them.

2000silverbullet 05-30-2013 07:17 PM

My experiences in bold/italics below.

Originally Posted by IronCobra (Post 13208018)
I know that most of what I am asking has been covered by many members in multiple threads, however, all the topics get off track and start to confuse the situation. So I am going to ask a series of basic suspension related questions with the hope of getting simple to - the - point answers.

Here we go.
1. If you have replaced the OEM Steering stabilizer with an aftermarket damper, which brand and model did you go with and what problems (if any) did is solve?
Example: Rancho RS5000, showed no significant improvement over OEM is my opinion.

Bilstein 7100. One of my favorite upgrades. Got rid of this nonsense (this is my truck in the video): 2011F350wobble2.mp4 Video by 2ksilverbullet | Photobucket

2. If you replaced your OEM shocks, did you do it because of the ride quality, they were leaking, blown, just because, or some other reason? What brand and model did you go with and what improvement did you experience?
Example: Skyjacker M95 monotubes, improved ride quality over all types of surfaces also allowed 2" level kit without the need for spacers. Also improved handling while at interstate speeds.

Rancho 9000's. Another huge improvement over stock. I did not like how wishy washy the truck felt on imperfect roads, and we have alot of them in Pittsburgh. The truck just didn't feel planted to the road. I wanted the ability to adjust as needed, fronts set to 6, rears at 4 (maybe 3, can't remember). With my atv and motorcycle in the back, I'll stiffen up the rear a notch or 2 since the truck is a little top heavy now.

3. Overall rating of the following using 1-10 scale (1 being the worst) I'm at about a 7-9 on all of the below items over the stock setup.
-Smoothing out small bumps (road imperfections)
-Smoothing out large bumps (harsh speed bumps and pot holes)
-Smoothing out washboard roads
-Fixing Steering pull (over uneven surfaces)
-Overall ride improvement
-improvement to comfort of passengers riding Never asked them, but no complaints. :-X04
-Improved handling over high speeds
-Improved handling in low speeds
-Improved Corning
-Reduces jaring while traveling over "less than perfectly paved" arterial roads.

I want this thread to be a "buying guild" for those looking to purchase upgraded parts that replace OEM geer.