Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum60/)
-   -   E Van Door Panel Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1244416-e-van-door-panel-removal.html)

JWA 05-20-2013 09:21 AM

E Van Door Panel Removal

19 Attachment(s)
Originally posted in the Van Forums, thought it might be helpful here too:

The following was performed on an '03 E250, Power Window & Power Door Locks (PW & PDL). Apart from removing the window crank on standard window regulators this is common for model years 1992 through at least 2008. Later years may be the same or similar however I have no direct experience with those models.

The exact order of the first steps isn't important though---this becomes apparent as we proceed. Left door is shown but procedure is similar for the right side as well.

Everything done here can certainly be accomplished with dedicated auto upholstery tools but they don't need to be expensive. Used here is the Lisle #35400; cheap, readily available at most auto part retailers or online. Fact is a good metal kitchen spoon would work. :)

Onward then............

Fully assembled door, yellow outlines denote four (4) screws that need to be removed, access first requires removal of three interior trim pieces numbered in green:

Attachment 200674

First off is the upper black trim panel covering the mirror mounting bolts. Fingers alone will work here as long the top clip pops loose first. Once free at the top it simply lifts straight up so the bottom tab clears the door panel.

Attachment 200675

The first of four (4) screws to be removed is now visible and accessible:

Attachment 200676

Closer view of this panels attachment clip & tab:

Attachment 200677

Next are interior door handle and PDL/ PW switch trim panels, no particular order. Notice there are small notches in each allowing use of the lifting tool:

Attachment 200678

Attachment 200679

As this assembly is lifted upward the lower rear portion contacts the underside of the armrest, resisting further removal. Beoing persistent but gentle continue lifting it out, slightly careful to not damage attached wiring. Once the switch body has cleared the armrest the entire assembly is now slid backward and free from the main door panel. Its supported by the wires alone as its light, won't stress the wire harness at this point.

The second of four (4) screws to be removed now visible and accessible:

Attachment 200680

Now the interior handle trim, also with a small opening to ease removal:

Attachment 200681

Once the front clips are popped loose lift outward just enough to allow the panel to slide forward so the rear tabs clear the larger panel:

Attachment 200682

Attachment 200683

Attachment 200684

Once the front clips are out, raise the door handle enough so this panel slides forward and free, the rear tabs clearing the main panel . The third of four (4) screws to be removed now visible and accessible:

Attachment 200685

Fourth screw, located bottom rear:

Attachment 200686

The main panel is now free to be pulled straight upward in order to free its top edge from the inner glass weather strip:

Normal:
Attachment 200687

Lifted and free at the top:

Attachment 200688

As the main panel is lifted free the PDL & PW assembly is pushed down through the opening in the armrest. As you continue lifting the panel and pulling slightly outward at the same time this easily slides through the opening:

Attachment 200689

FYI The main panel is retained in place by the already-removed screws, the top edge fitting into the weather strip and the pictured tabs. These serve to pull it tight to the door shell:

Attachment 200690

Closer view:

Attachment 200691

They fit into these punched openings:

Attachment 200692

Points marked as A on both main panel and door shell are for orientation.

Please note the plastic sheet is firmly attached, its main purpose is to reduce wind through the door shell into the interior. They are NOT available for replacement (unless I've been mislead by my dealer) and need to be carefully handled if they need to be removed.

If the applied adhesive no longer holds it to the door shell any weather-resistant tape can be used to reattach it. Don't underestimate the importance of this too often overlooked feature---it was originally installed for good reason!

Reassembling is just reverse order of removal. Be advised its possible the PD and/or PDL's might not function after assembly, on just one side if both panels have been removed/reinstalled. This is due one or more wires have been slightly dislodged, not a huge problem.

Simply remove the offending switch panel once again, jostle wires leading into the particular lost function switch and eventually you'll find the loose wire. This might seem a somewhat crude approach but nothing more complicated is necessary. Operation shouldn't fail again since nothing typically acts on those connections; if they fail again you'll know where to begin troubleshooting.

If anyone can add a few images of handle removal for non-powered windows it would be a nice addition here.

Hope this is just a bit helpful!

Jblaze5779 09-28-2015 07:39 AM

Does anyone have a part number for that switch trim piece? I just added power mirrors to my e350 and I need the switch cover with the hole for the power mirror switch.

I can't find it anywhere.

JWA 09-29-2015 07:46 AM

Because they're trim parts the panel fitting into the larger interior trim piece tend to be dealer only---call your local guys. Looking through my crash book from 2010 that isn't listed by itself so no factory part numbers there. It might also be available on eBay under "interior trim"----I've found a few things from a seller called Tasca Auto Parts but they're not a lot cheaper than new stuff.

The switch should be available separately or through NAPA etc.

Jblaze5779 09-29-2015 07:49 AM

Thanks. I have the switch already. I just need the trim. I've searched all the ford parts diagrams and can't find the exact trim shown in the above picture. That's exactly the trim I need. I guess I'll keep hitting up the yards.

Tom-N 10-21-2015 04:11 PM

great manual - how to disassemble the door!
Thank you! Really useful thing!

JWA 10-22-2015 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tom-N (Post 15732833)
great manual - how to disassemble the door!
Thank you! Really useful thing!

That was the hope anyway----thanks Tom!

I could add one how to refresh steering column shift tube bushings OR how to swap out the whole steering column with tilt version-----takes me too long to type something clearly though. :)

surfwagon 01-01-2017 03:41 PM

thanks for this, thought the speaker grill could be removed seperately from the door panel from my 93 Club Wagon... looks like the panel is coming off instead

Gsam 02-21-2017 10:08 AM

Thank you so much !!!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am in the process of replacing my mirrors (on order) and needed to know how to get ready to access the mirror and cabling.

Thanks again
Gsam