Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   IDI parts in Powerstroke? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1242409-idi-parts-in-powerstroke.html)

SolidCitizen94 05-10-2013 08:54 AM

IDI parts in Powerstroke?

Recently rolled my 94 IDI totaling the body and damaging the frame. Was originally told the frame was good to go, but that is no longer the case. Now that the frame is in worse shape than previously thought, I am thinking of buying a similar truck and keeping this one for parts. The engine only has 160k on it and the transmission is perfect along with many other usable items. My question is... In order for this to be worthwhile do I have to find another IDI or can I get a 95-97 Powerstroke? Are there enough interchangeable parts? Would my current transmission work in the Powerstroke? Planning on possibly buying a Powerstroke with way higher miles, driving it until it quits and replacing the engine with mine in the future. Not an ideal situation overall, would much rather not have rolled my IDI in the first place. Just trying to see what my options are. Thanks.

Aune163rd 05-10-2013 09:13 AM

IDI engine will not work as a replacement engine to as powerstroke. It's not a direct fit. Transmission is the same however and will bolt right to it.... Other than that. The trucks themselves are virtually the same when it comes to the body.... Ib would swap the stuff.... But I still like V-Belts so their
Take my opinion for what you want

SolidCitizen94 05-10-2013 10:20 AM

Not sure exactly what you meant by "swap the stuff" if my engine wouldn't work. Or would it work with more than just a simple swap?

Any idea on how much I could get for the IDI engine? or if it would even sell on its own?

hairyboxnoogle 05-10-2013 11:05 AM

figure around 500 for an idi. Why not just get another IDI truck?

SolidCitizen94 05-10-2013 11:13 AM

Would love to get another IDI, that would be best case scenario. Just seeing a bunch more powerstrokes around me for reasonable prices. Probably worth holding out for exactly what I am looking for. Just figuring out all of my options.

hairyboxnoogle 05-10-2013 01:45 PM

Oh i gotcha. At any rate, if you keep your old truck, you will have everything to swap the IDI in down the road. However getting it registered / smogged might become an issue. but as far as i know IDI's run cleaner than PSD's so you should be ok.

Aune163rd 05-11-2013 01:37 PM

Yes IDI engines run cleaner

airdale94 05-12-2013 09:47 AM

Why not get a gaser and swap your parts to that.

garrettsr5 05-12-2013 02:28 PM

Time constraints

trackspeeder 05-12-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle (Post 13148842)
Oh i gotcha. At any rate, if you keep your old truck, you will have everything to swap the IDI in down the road. However getting it registered / smogged might become an issue. but as far as i know IDI's run cleaner than PSD's so you should be ok.

EPA requirements are what killed the 7.3 IDI. This is why we have the T444E replacement. EFI is a much cleaner running system.:-X22

If a mechanically injected IDI was cleaner burning, we would still have it today.:D

airdale94 05-13-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by garrettsr5 (Post 13154189)
Time constraints

? Are you speaking for SolidCitizen? Or am I missing something?

hairyboxnoogle 05-13-2013 06:09 PM

Track speeder, according to the local emissions guy in the valley, they test PSD's and IDIs at the same benchmark. According to him around 1-10 PSDs fail, he hasnt failed an IDI. PSD's also have a DPF IDI's dont. GenI psd and IDIs, after SD 7.3 theyre a whole different deal, the older ones just have a snap test basically, particulate emissions, the newer ones have that and test for NoX or something.

SolidCitizen94 05-14-2013 02:20 PM

OK... Emissions don't matter where I live, so no worries on any of that.
Looks like I am going to go with finding something that I can eventually swap what I have into. That said, I had a '94 IDI. Would my engine and transmission fit easily into the slightly older body style of the '91. Is it just the body that is different? Or should I be shooting for something in the '92-94 range?