Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Does this wire run to the starter relay? (photo) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1240850-does-this-wire-run-to-the-starter-relay-photo.html)

jhaas63 05-02-2013 07:36 PM

Does this wire run to the starter relay? (photo)

I am rewiring my starter relay and this wire ran down towards the relay before and I think it was tied in with another wire. You can see in the photo where it comes from off of the firewall. Also, if it does run down to the relay, can you tell me what part of the relay it goes to? And if it doesn't go to the relay, where should it go? Thanks a bunch!

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04f22b6d.jpg

jhaas63 05-03-2013 08:06 AM

Anybody got a minute to check their truck for me? I was hoping to get this taken care of. Thanks. Truck is still 6 volt, positive ground.

ALBUQ F-1 05-03-2013 10:20 AM

Can you take a picture from an angle? I can't tell if the wire in your fingers is the same one your other finger is pointing to on the firewall. Is there any of the original color left in the insulation?

jhaas63 05-03-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 13126067)
Can you take a picture from an angle? I can't tell if the wire in your fingers is the same one your other finger is pointing to on the firewall. Is there any of the original color left in the insulation?

It is the wire all the way to the left. I'll take another photo.

raytasch 05-03-2013 10:48 AM

Looks to me like a ground wire that goes into the mounting bracket screw.

jhaas63 05-03-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 13126132)
Looks to me like a ground wire that goes into the mounting bracket screw.

On the relay bracket that mounts to the frame?

raytasch 05-03-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jhaas63 (Post 13126152)
On the relay bracket that mounts to the frame?

That is what it looks like to me, that the screw holding the wire goes through the relay bracket to ground. But I am old and wear glasses}>

brain75 05-03-2013 11:18 AM

I'll add this to the help, but unfortunately my forte is 48's - and they only have the 3 wires coming out of the regulator, none of the rest of the stuff to the left of it:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...53-55truck.jpg

brain75 05-03-2013 11:20 AM

I'll also 2nd (or 3rd) the motion that it is a ground wire from the pic. I would say based on the 2 terminals on that aux block drawing that it is not part of the original scheme....

jhaas63 05-03-2013 12:04 PM

Okay. Thanks for the help so far. Where would the ground wire mount to on the relay. The relay has three areas where a wire could go.

Is it possible that this wire would run down and mount to the starter possibly?

raytasch 05-03-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jhaas63 (Post 13126371)
Okay. Thanks for the help so far. Where would the ground wire mount to on the relay. The relay has three areas where a wire could go.

Is it possible that this wire would run down and mount to the starter possibly?

We cannot determine where the wire may have connected or if the wire is necessary with your present configuration. As suggested, it may be add on. Perhaps someone with an original configuration will investigate where it went if it was there. What electrical part of your truck is not working?
Generally relays of the type shown ground through the mounting bracket.

jhaas63 05-03-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 13126412)
We cannot determine where the wire may have connected or if the wire is necessary with your present configuration. As suggested, it may be add on. Perhaps someone with an original configuration will investigate where it went if it was there. What electrical part of your truck is not working?
Generally relays of the type shown ground through the mounting bracket.

Truck won't start. Oddly enough...I think I have a grounding problem somewhere involving the relay.

brain75 05-03-2013 01:45 PM

elaborate a bit on "won't start" - does it click/chatter like the relay is opening and closing, does the starter motor turn slower than molasses, fast, at all even a 1/4 turn before it just stops. is there one good loud click when you hit the starter button and then nothin?

jhaas63 05-03-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by brain75 (Post 13126643)
elaborate a bit on "won't start" - does it click/chatter like the relay is opening and closing, does the starter motor turn slower than molasses, fast, at all even a 1/4 turn before it just stops. is there one good loud click when you hit the starter button and then nothin?

Relay makes an odd "mughhh" type of noise. Starter doesn't turn at all. Starter is good. I am replacing wiring (wiring is brutal and old) which is why I started this thread. I think this wire may be my problem.

raytasch 05-03-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jhaas63 (Post 13126712)
Relay makes an odd "mughhh" type of noise. Starter doesn't turn at all. Starter is good. I am replacing wiring (wiring is brutal and old) which is why I started this thread. I think this wire may be my problem.

Find a pair of pliers or some other heavy conductor that will go between the two large posts on the start relay.
Make sure the truck is out of gear, brake set and wheels chocked.
Put on your heaviest gloves and jumper between the above mentioned posts.
You will get a spark:-hair and the starter should operate. If the starter operates you then look for electrical problems with the relay circuitry.
Are all your connections clean and TIGHT?