Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   The deal I made was Seat Belts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1240628-the-deal-i-made-was-seat-belts.html)

Mcnewt 05-01-2013 05:23 PM

The deal I made was Seat Belts

The deal I made with the wife was that the kids can ride in my 1950 F-1 if I installed seat belts(for safety sake I agree with her)- I plan on going ahead and putting them in, anybody got any tips for me- I want them as "period correct" as possible, and with as minimal revisions to the vehicle as possible.

raytasch 05-01-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mcnewt (Post 13120333)
The deal I made with the wife was that the kids can ride in my 1950 F-1 if I installed seat belts(for safety sake I agree with her)- here's the dilemma- truck is all original matching numbers etc..... What am I doing to the value if I put in belts? Assuming I go ahead and put them in, anybody got any tips for me- I want them as "period correct" as possible, and with as minimal revisions to the vehicle as possible.

JMHO, but go ahead and install seat belts. Make certain the doors latch with a full grip as they are known for coming open in an accident. The latching system was not very well designed by today's standards. Cabs on these old trucks are not rigid at all.
I think AACA says something like " No deductions for seat belts and restraints will be accepted if neatly installed." This is not quoting their judging rule book, just paraphrasing.
It sounds like you have one extremely nice truck. We would like very much to see pictures.

4tl8ford 05-01-2013 06:33 PM

Your children's safety at risk and you're asking about the value of your truck - Maybe you better step back and reevaluate your priorities

HILLBILLY BOB 05-01-2013 06:38 PM

I would have to agree with dick,family comes first

topmoo 05-01-2013 07:14 PM

I am sure that it is a really nice truck, and if some future buyer thinks that seat belts detract from the value then find another buyer. Safety of your family is much more important then impressing a potential buyer.

Doc 05-01-2013 08:12 PM

Install the seat belts. I installed retractable lap belts last summer. When it gets right down to it, if you decide to enter some unbelievably up-tight concours show in the future, you'll have 4-6 extra 3/8" drilled holes in the bottom of your cab just in front of the cross-brace where the gas tank sits. In the meantime, put the belts in it.

Mcnewt 05-01-2013 08:14 PM

I'm gonna operate on the assumption I didn't explaining myself well. It's not a question of whether or not i risk my kids life for the value of the truck. No seat belts equals no kids. I was really looking for advice to safely and correctly install them.

harleymsn 05-01-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mcnewt (Post 13120842)
I'm gonna operate on the assumption I didn't explaining myself well. It's not a question of whether or not i risk my kids life for the value of the truck. No seat belts equals no kids. I was really looking for advice to safely and correctly install them. But go ahead and judge me.

Welcome to FTE, and Nobody was judging you. As far as "I was looking for advice to safely and correctly install", your original post NEVER mentioned that. Your original post certainly gave the 'impression' that you were more concerned with affecting the value of the truck. So I will agree that you didn't explain yourself well.

I have not installed seatbelts in my truck yet, but now that we know what you want, I am sure there will be several members happy to give you suggestions.

ALBUQ F-1 05-01-2013 08:46 PM

My only advice is to get at least the outer two sets of belts around 90+" long for adults. With the stock seat, the more common 74" belts are only for skinny folks. They are easy to shorten, not possible to lengthen.

ben73058 05-01-2013 08:46 PM

Hey Mcnewt,
Welcome Aboard - I think it's the whole matching numbers thing. We don't have a lot of that here - most guys are just trying to get their trucks to run & drive safely. There aren't really any engine #'s to match but I understand the concept of keeping it as original as possible.

Let's see some pics when you get a chance. We'd like to see what you have over there. I'm down in Austin with a 1950 as well. Our's was "upgraded" in the '70's so there wasn't too much original about it - we did spend an inordinate amount of effort to save the original cab & bed so we could feel like the core of the truck was still intact.

Where in Texas are you from? I just got back from driving to Waco & back to dust off my son before finals at Baylor.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

49f3dls 05-01-2013 08:48 PM

First of all welcome to FTE I don't think anyone is trying to judge you we are all a little safety conscious as these old rigs left a lot to be desired in that area. As far as value for adding belts most auctions and shows I have seen say "Np Harm" in adding safety things like belts. It just makes the truck more drivable in today's traffic world Besides your wife would probably shoot you if you didn't think of the kids safety and rightfully so. Have fun and don't worry about value post pics and everyone will be happy

Blue50F-1 05-01-2013 10:16 PM

FWIW, my truck had belts in it when I got them. They were installed by a PO and bolted to the back bar on the bench. Maybe not the safest possible approach, but certainly adequate for a mid-low speed need. Anything high speed is probably going to rip the bench free, but then you're pretty done for anyway.

Were I to do an install myself I'd aim to put a reinforcing plate across the underside of the cab floor, welded in and bolted through to anchor the belts. They'd really go nowhere then, though I have no idea what a concourse judge would think. I've never had time nor money for that ball game.

Peace,
Jim

ALBUQ F-1 05-01-2013 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The crossmember under the gas tank is the usual place to attach the belts, on the front edge.

old_dan 05-02-2013 01:18 AM

Hello McNewt,

Welcome to FTE.

I put mine in the same location as Ross. I did use some thick 3 inch diameter washers on the underside of the cab. There are some standards on the bolts. I think the NHTSB calls for a 7/16 hardened bolt....I'll have to look that up. A lot of the belts listed at Summit Racing have hardware included.

Dan

DR Smith 05-02-2013 08:02 AM

I used lap and shoulder belts out of a Dodge Caravan, 3 inch washers and new floor plates,plus plates on upper door frame. Not as strong as a new setup but much better than nothing.