Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   May all Topics ( be like this thread) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1240531-may-all-topics-be-like-this-thread.html)

OldBlackCat 05-20-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by lovestrucks (Post 13180403)
There's this legit guy who likes to hit up all the garage sales around us who always looks for gold/metals, as well as iPhones or other hot gadgets.

My mom had some single earrings and old bracelets that she never wore that she wanted to find out the price on (she used to make her own jewelry). The guy and his dad actually have a jewelry shop I believe too. He did a scratch test on them, and weight them, my mom got a little over $400.

don't got anything to sell, just see a lot of chatter around the internet about people buying and selling gold and silver.

wpnaes 05-20-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBricks (Post 13180622)
Gulf coast, I'm guessing?

Yeah, 45 mins from Ft Myers.

SpringerPop 05-21-2013 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 13180553)
Out in Florida this week, this neighborhood looks like a crop circle from the sky.

That's Rotonda. Straight west of Punta Gorda.

Obviously-planned community built around and through golf courses.

Pop

davewave649 05-21-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by djed (Post 13177408)
I also would love to learn how to fiberglass. Any pointers on how to get started (including where to source supplies/material in the Valley) would be appreciated. I've got some boat projects I want to try.

David

I recently glassed a sub enclosure for my truck, Small sheets of fiberglass cloth and mat (24x48") can be found at home depot, lowes and autozone along with general purpose resin in quarts and gallons. For my enclosures i made an MDF frame then stretched plain ol fleece from Joannes fabric over to give it shape then saturated the fleece with resin and then laid several more layers of fiberglass cloth and resin over that, let cure then used bondo and lots of sanding to get a smooth surface.

The West Marine store in Ventura has a pretty good selection of marine resins and cloth so if you have a local store you might want to look there. I know there are sources online where everything can be bought in bulk but I dont know of any supply houses down there but i havent looked either.

If you have any questions send me a PM i havent done a whole lot of glassing but ill help you as much as i can.

Dave

wpnaes 05-21-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 13181254)
That's Rotonda. Straight west of Punta Gorda.

Obviously-planned community built around and through golf courses.

Pop

Thanks Pop, knew someone would know.:-X22

bpounds 05-21-2013 06:59 PM

Back to work today for me. I've been on vaca for a week, and it's been a busy one.

Weekend last, fished Big Pine Crk a bit and picked up a nice creel. Largest is a 14" Rainbow.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3...0/DSCN2467.JPG

Went on my annual Wild Pig hunt this last weekend. Bagged this good sized Boar at 5:30 Saturday morning. We figure he went a little over 200lbs, and he definitely has the best teeth of any pigs I've taken.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L...0/DSCN2482.JPG

Spent a lot of time between trips shopping for a Suzuki Samarai (don't tell the number dummy). Drove several, and just didn't find the one I was looking for at a price I liked. Finally said screw that, and yesterday I bought this. It's an '88, 4.2L 6, 5 speed, 112k miles. A bit rough, plenty of character, and needs a little work. But the bones are good.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H...0/DSCN2492.JPG

SteveBricks 05-21-2013 07:49 PM

Glad you had a successful hunt, Bill. Good lookin' pig.

Now, about that Jeep...

....is it going to be a combination commuter/safari vehicle?

bpounds 05-21-2013 08:28 PM

Commuter and a project for sure. Safari? We'll see. I would like to rig it with a tow bar. Then I could hunt out of it. But driving it to the Sierra's or further ain't likely to happen.

SpringerPop 05-21-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 13183014)
Thanks Pop, knew someone would know.:-X22

I was the western states rep for an outfit in Ft. Lauderdale for over ten years.

Got to Florida a lot! :)

It's kinda weird-looking from the air, which I'm sure is why it caught your photo-snappin' eye!

Pop

OldBlackCat 05-21-2013 08:50 PM

nice jeep bill! one of the more easier 4x4 vehicles to build in the aftermarket...

if ya dont mind me askin what kinda rifle ya got there? how far did ya have to reach out to get the pig?

bpounds 05-21-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 13183796)
if ya dont mind me askin what kinda rifle ya got there? how far did ya have to reach out to get the pig?

That is a .338 Winmag on a customized surplus M98 Mauser action. A 24" barrel, medium weight profile. The stock is a Richards Microfit Claro Walnut. Timney trigger. Leoupold fixed 4X scope.

I shot that pig on the run, but range was only about 75 yards, maybe 100. Not far.

turbohunter 05-21-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 13183324)
Weekend last, fished Big Pine Crk a bit and picked up a nice creel. Largest is a 14" Rainbow.

Nice fish Bill

Went on my annual Wild Pig hunt this last weekend. Bagged this good sized Boar at 5:30 Saturday morning. We figure he went a little over 200lbs, and he definitely has the best teeth of any pigs I've taken.

And nice pig.
And nice knock down with the .338

Finally said screw that, and yesterday I bought this. It's an '88, 4.2L 6, 5 speed, 112k miles. A bit rough, plenty of character, and needs a little work. But the bones are good.

AAAAAAnd nice Jeep

You've had a good week:-X22

wpnaes 05-21-2013 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Impressive Bill, a porker, jig-n-pig and trusty trout YJ.

Flights out tonight delayed - will try again tomorrow.

SpringerPop 05-21-2013 09:55 PM

You don't wanna' go transcon tonight, anyway.

Even though the cancellation is probably based on local, take a look at the national weather.

Pop

jake08 05-22-2013 03:12 AM

Nice hog Bill, congrats.:-X22