Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Parking lights come on when door opens - how to turn off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1236894-parking-lights-come-on-when-door-opens-how-to-turn-off.html)

DrFord 04-14-2013 04:05 PM

Parking lights come on when door opens - how to turn off

2012 F-250.

as said, when I open the doors the parking lights come on.

how can I disable this?

likewise can I disable the interior lights coming on when I remove the key but do not open door?

jroberts257 04-14-2013 05:11 PM

I'm not sure if there is an OEM way of doing this on the newer trucks, but I used to have a 99 250 that I modified to do exactly what you are talking about. Obviously features and wire codes have changed over the years, but it was pretty simple, all I used was a test light probe, some strippers, solder gun, and the OEM dimmer switch. I cut a hole next to the existing dimmer, and after probing around the wires to the original switch I made some cuts to transfer everything that got power from opening the doors through the second dimmer switch first. So the second "dimmer" switch, was actually just an on/off controlling weather the dome lights and door lights would get power from opening the door or taking the key out. I only used the dimmer so it would look like original parts.

jroberts257 04-14-2013 05:12 PM

unless someone has a wiring diagram or detailed instructions you might just have to take some time with a test lamp and it is fairly easy to rig up

DrFord 04-14-2013 05:59 PM

hmm never thought of doing it that way.

I was thinking of putting a switch in the wire that is on the door latch. the only downside to this would be that the vehicle would always think the door was closed, and would thus leave interior items such as radio on untill it times out.

MisterCMK 04-14-2013 06:31 PM

Have you checked in your owners manual?

I wonder if this feature can be turned off through IDS?

jroberts257 04-14-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DrFord (Post 13064314)
hmm never thought of doing it that way.

I was thinking of putting a switch in the wire that is on the door latch. the only downside to this would be that the vehicle would always think the door was closed, and would thus leave interior items such as radio on untill it times out.

You could be on to something there. These new trucks are so damn smart there might actually be a way to adjust how long the radio stays on. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but it seems plausible haha. If not, wiring a switch like that would sure be a lot easier than the first way I proposed. So what if you just always made a mental note to hit the power button on the radio when you get out. Other than that I don't think anything else would stay on. Some modules might stay on, but nothing that would kill the battery or make any noise or light or anything. That would no doubt be the easiest way of getting the job done.

jroberts257 04-14-2013 08:24 PM

by the way, who is it you are stalking?lol. I don't want to be an accomplice haha. But honestly, just curious, why don't you like your lights coming on?

DrFord 04-15-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jroberts257 (Post 13064888)
by the way, who is it you are stalking?lol. I don't want to be an accomplice haha. But honestly, just curious, why don't you like your lights coming on?

LOL actually you are not too far off.

It is a government Law enforcement vehicle. it is used for surveillance.

someone told me that Texas game and fish just bought a bunch of new ford P/U trucks and obviously that feature doesn't work for them. They supposedly were able to take them back to the dealer and have a "police blackout" programed into it.

I asked my little podunk dealer here but they wanted me to bring it in so they can "look at it: without even knowing if they could change it. I think I will check with a larger dealer about this.

It just seems so wrong to go cutting wires on a brand new truck with only 2,000 miles. although worse has already happened. I got hit on the interstate with only 1.100 miles on it.....

jroberts257 04-15-2013 07:52 AM

Well if you don't mind paying someone to do it you might try a local audio installer or shop that does any kind of electrical or custom installation. Any place like that would have the intelligence and experience to figure out a good clean bypass to get your results your looking for

jroberts257 04-15-2013 07:55 AM

they would more than likely be much cheaper than the dealer. And might have more creative ideas on how to get it done. Most of those dealer mechanics are like robots and do everything by the book, which doesn't normally work well for aftermarket installs

m50steel 04-16-2013 12:20 AM

I checked the service manual and the wiring diagram manual, the functionality for the lights and the key is controlled within the Body Control Module. It shows the control relays for these features as non-serviceable items. My guess it's probably located on a printed circuit board. The BCM receives data from the HS-CAN bus to determine the state of these features. As was pointed out earlier there must be a police option available from Ford, only a guess but perhaps a replacement BCM.

John

DrFord 04-16-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by m50steel (Post 13069014)
I checked the service manual and the wiring diagram manual, the functionality for the lights and the key is controlled within the Body Control Module. It shows the control relays for these features as non-serviceable items. My guess it's probably located on a printed circuit board. The BCM receives data from the HS-CAN bus to determine the state of these features. As was pointed out earlier there must be a police option available from Ford, only a guess but perhaps a replacement BCM.

John

HMM thanks for the info. Guess I will have a look at it

07PSDCREW 05-13-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by DrFord (Post 13070615)
HMM thanks for the info. Guess I will have a look at it

Go to your favorite dealer and ask them to hook your vehicle up to the IDS. Under module programming, programmable parameters, go to Personality, (or exterior lighting depending on the model) then police programming and then select welcome illumination. Disable it. Some models may even disable the dome light though. E350 I did disabled the dome but an Escape did not.
Have a good day.