Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   59 F100 turn signals (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1236810-59-f100-turn-signals.html)

leewiffen 04-14-2013 08:52 AM

59 F100 turn signals

Any auto electricians out there?

On the side light / indicator lights on the front, with the dual filament bulb, is one wire going in for the side light and the other for the turn signal with the ground being provided from the lamp housing which is attached to the main front grille ?

F-100CustomCabTBC 04-14-2013 12:11 PM

I believe that is correct. I think when I was wiring mine up I held the housing on the Neg. terminal of a 9V battery and hooked each wire up to the positive terminal just to make sure each filliment lit up which they did.

Damifiknow 04-14-2013 12:29 PM

Correct. Wiring Diagram shows yellow is lights from dash switch, blue is pass and green is drivers turn signals.

leewiffen 04-14-2013 01:11 PM

Some time ago I cut the power wire which was connected the side light to the new headlights I fitted leaving the indicators working. It has been fine for a while . Recently the indicators stopped working. I changed the flasher unit, checked all the bulbs...no joy. I fiddled with the fuses on the light switch and they started to work, but intermittently and strangely the electric fuel pump that is fitted was heard to be clicking. I thought bad ground, but despite connecting one of the front bulb holders direct to ground of the battery, taking the light switch out and cleaning it all up, the turn signals are still intermittent when I connect them to the white wire that is part of the dual plug up by the radiator.....any clues?

Damifiknow 04-14-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by leewiffen (Post 13063530)
Some time ago I cut the power wire which was connected the side light to the new headlights I fitted leaving the indicators working. It has been fine for a while . Recently the indicators stopped working. I changed the flasher unit, checked all the bulbs...no joy. I fiddled with the fuses on the light switch and they started to work, but intermittently and strangely the electric fuel pump that is fitted was heard to be clicking. I thought bad ground, but despite connecting one of the front bulb holders direct to ground of the battery, taking the light switch out and cleaning it all up, the turn signals are still intermittent when I connect them to the white wire that is part of the dual plug up by the radiator.....any clues?

White/blue tracer is pass to directional switch
Green/white tracer is drivers to directional switch
black/yellow tracer is from light switch on dash for parking lights.

Hope this helps.

I dont know about how electric fuel pump is wired. Sounds like you need to invest in a wiring diagram. Ebay laminated is clear and only about 20 bucks.

www.classiccarwiring.com or 917 861 9131

leewiffen 04-15-2013 12:08 PM

Well this where I'm at.....I have cleaned and grounded all the individual fittings, front and rear. Renewed all the bulbs. When I put on the ignition and use the turn signal on the steering column the lamps light, but do not blink, but, if I fiddle with the indicator stalk they will intermittently blink whilst making the aftermarket electric fuel pump operate !! This pump has a feed coming directly from the ignition switch, through a ten amp fuse and fuse holder and grounded direct to the chassis

Damifiknow 04-15-2013 04:09 PM

how many threads are going to start about this?

spurredon 04-15-2013 08:19 PM

That is why it is referred to as AC/DC theory!:)