Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2013 F250 or F350 4x4 Turbo Diesel for Planned Toy Hauler Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1236663-2013-f250-or-f350-4x4-turbo-diesel-for-planned-toy-hauler-towing.html)

ottomandan 04-13-2013 01:59 PM

2013 F250 or F350 4x4 Turbo Diesel for Planned Toy Hauler Towing

OK - I currently have a 2010 F150 4x4 crew cab 5.3 liter gasser - my intention was to use it as a tow vehicle for a Toy Hauler. Well I got a real quick education by members of various forums about towing capacity with this. This was last year about this time - so started looking for a smaller bumper pull travel trailer. Well that's really Not what I want so I have finally convinced my wife I (we) need a bigger tow vehicle. So I'm looking at a crew cab F250 or F350 2013 diesel. I want to go with a Toy Hauler (maybe 34-26 footer with a slide probably 5th wheel).

I don't want a DRW or a long bed. I would like to still be able to use the bed of the pickup for carrying stuff other than the 5th wheel hitch. It will mostly be my wife and I traveling with our 30 pound dog with 2-3 trips per year planned between Atlanta and Denver. May occasional have 4 adults on shorter trips in and around the Denver are including into the mountains.

I have drive a 2013 F250 4x4 crew cab King Ranch diesel and very much liked the way it rode and drove - would probably prefer a Lariat with the Platinum package. Have not yet driven a F350 but am worried about the stiffer suspension as I will be driving this truck on a daily basis in and around the Atlanta area. Again DRW's don't interest me for many reasons.

Thoughts suggestions on options- upgrades - rear-ends etc. welcomed and appreciated.

With the toy hauler I would like the option of hauling at Harley - a couple dirt bikes OR a gator or bad boy buggy (not all at the same time obviously). I'm leaning towards an F250 but maybe I should consider a 350 which may be more than I need - I do like flexibility and I haven't nailed down a Toy Hauler specifically yet.

Thoughts and comments welcome on a truck as well as a toy hauler.

Thanks much!

Tylus 04-13-2013 02:22 PM

the F-150 isn't exactly a slouch for towing small pop-ups and smaller travel trailers
the 5.4 3v is a good motor and coupled with the 6 speed in your current 2010 model, it can handle alot. a smaller bumper pull travel trailer would be perfect IMO with that truck

edit: nevermind, I see your talking about a 5th wheel. then yes, ditch the 150. Any F-250 will easily pull your intended trailer. A DRW will do it easier of course. But as far as capabilities, a F-250/350 are "essentially" identical. the largest difference between them is on paper. a good airbag setup and hitch will do wonders

ottomandan 04-13-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 13060685)
what exactly are you going to be towing?

the F-150 isn't exactly a slouch for towing small pop-ups and smaller travel trailers

the 5.4 3v is a good motor and coupled with the 6 speed in your current 2010 model, it can handle alot

I'm looking at hauling a Toy Hauler say 32-36 foot long - with maybe a bad boy buggy - gator or a Harley (not all at the same time).

I had in fact looked at a pop up or smaller trailer but that isn't what I want to day - I was kinda sold a line of bull snot when I bought the F150 - so I'm now doing my homework B4 I buy this next truck!!

Tylus 04-13-2013 02:53 PM

unfortunately, alot of guys think the F-150 can move mountains because of the 10,000 lbs capacity for bumper pulls.

I had a 2006 and while it pulled a dual axle car trailer and a jetta easily in the mountains, there is no way in he** I'd do that for a long term trip.

I think you are on the right track. Have you dropped down into the FTE towing section. Alot of great guys hang out there with 1999+ Superduties and they tow for fun/work. They can guide you to an ideal truck.

First things first, you need to pick a trailer IMO. Then pick a truck afterwards that can yank it around and all the crap + passengers

MisterCMK 04-13-2013 04:49 PM

Was that with the supercharger on your f150?

dualwheels66 04-13-2013 05:38 PM

Go right to the F350 SRW especially when some of the pin weights that are advertised are quite low. As was mentioned the 250 and 350 are the same trucks, same ride quality, same brakes same frame etc..etc..The 350 has a higher rated load capacity than a 250, usually about 1000lbs more.

Tylus 04-13-2013 05:41 PM

no, I did the towing after I had first bought it...June 2007?

I didn't put the RoushCharger on until Nov 2008 }>

I had the 300 HP 5.4 3v and 4 speed in that truck and it hauled the load easily. I've driven a few of the 09-10 models with the higher HP 5.4 3v and 6 speed...completely different trucks in the power department due to the much better trans.

here's a pic of the setup. I had the Jetta loaded nose heavy since it was DOA when we killed the second winch battery getting it up on that trailer. obviously a better load balance is needed. Towed it around the mountainy stuff in Western Washington without any problems though

Note the lifted nose...that's partly the 2.5" leveling kit. the rear didn't squat a whole ton.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9e3ce625.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse7c1f99f.jpg

the F-150 is a very capable setup, but ottomandan is on a good path to upgrade to a Supeduty for a 5th wheel. I'd only consider the F-150 for a smaller travel trailer. crappy MPG's, laggardly power, and it just isn't as stable. especially for heavy towing across long distances

MisterCMK 04-13-2013 05:50 PM

I can't get over how much rear suspension squat there is on the half ton when using a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch.

Slowpoke Slim 04-13-2013 05:56 PM

If you want the crew cab, and diesel, AND 4x4, I would only look at the 350's. You lose weight rating with each of those options, because they each add to the over all weight of your truck. A 250 optioned out that way is not going to leave you with enough capacity IMO.

As was said, the 250 and 350 are going to have the same ride. I drove both when I bought my 250. I'm not going to be pulling as big a load, and mine won't be a 5th wheel, so I went 250.

Get the 350 and never look back.