Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   NOS Vs. Propane (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/123476-nos-vs-propane.html)

Nate9982 06-04-2003 09:48 AM

NOS Vs. Propane

Ok I am not too sure how to ask this question so here goes. I have a 99 F-350 psd 6spd 100k miles. I have a Diablo Delta Chip, full 4" exhaust, AFE intake, and Luk clutch. I want to make my truck a little faster but don't want to blow up my engine. So my question is nos or propane? Has anyone had any experience with nos? I know their are lots of people running propane and are very happy with it. I would like to run Bully Dogs NOS setup but can't get a clear answer from anyone about what kind of engine damage I would be introducing. I have heard that you can't run a diesel too lean but again just somthing I have heard.

If I would run nos it would not be full time just on occation when I would need that little extra get up and go. So what I have read and talked to people about there would be no damage done. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any advise would be greatly apreciated.

Nate,

Quadzilla 06-04-2003 06:55 PM

NOS Vs. Propane

The guys that I know that have Nitrous, also have propane. I guess they use it at the same time as LP. With what propane did for my truck, I can't imagine wanting/needing more, but my system is still pretty new. Give me a little time for the novelty to wear off, and I might change my tune. :)

Psychostrkr 06-22-2003 10:42 AM

NOS Vs. Propane

I use nos because I did not want a huge propane tank in my bed. Each system is just as good, I've used both, the only significant difference I noticed was egt's are alot lower{almost 300 deg.} with the the nos than propane. Your right about running it lean, but these systems, nos or propane, don't significantly change the mixture enough.

Quadzilla 06-22-2003 10:56 AM

NOS Vs. Propane

Psychostroker- I didn't want a propane tank in the bed of my truck either, so I mounted mine under the truck, FWIW.

Fordman4x4 07-01-2003 09:49 PM

NOS Vs. Propane

How do the hp/torque numbers compair between NOS and Propane? What should you expect from each?

Psychostrkr 07-02-2003 01:16 AM

NOS Vs. Propane

Fordman propane is going to be alot easier on your engine than any Nos setup. As for the numbers I use a 50 h.p shot pre turbo for dramatic lowering of egts. Talk to Quadzilla about the propane. He knows his stuff.

Fordman4x4 07-04-2003 04:17 PM

NOS Vs. Propane

yea, i was thinking of doing a propane setup next since i've already done the usual intake, exhaust, pgmer, and gauges. but i don't know...how much of a pain it is to put in? where to put the tank? how long does a tank full last? do u use it all the time or just when u want that extra power? does anyone sell kits?

sorry for all the ?s but i want to learn more about it, and see if it's for my truck

thanks

Nelson

99 F350 SD 4x4 PSD Auto
84 Bronco 351W Auto