Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   WATER SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1233741-water-spots.html)

CountryD 03-30-2013 11:13 PM

WATER SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will probably be moved, but hopefully I will get a couple of replies before so.

I have Water Spots BAD!!! Im working in Wyoming and the water is TERRIBLE in this state. Washed the truck today to try and get them off and worked my tail off and NOTHING. Ive looked at Chemical guys spot remover, and Danase spot remover, but worried those products will damage my clear coat.

Have any of you guys battled Water Spots? If so, what did you use to get rid of them. Thinking of trying a clay bar, but have been told that may not work either. I tried half and half water and white vinegar today also, with no luck.

Tim Young 03-30-2013 11:39 PM

I don't have an answer for you yet but I have the same problem but maybe not as bad. We have hard water here at my house so water spots are a problem. My truck is white so the spots don't show up there much but the chrome in the grill has some bad spots on it.

CountryD 03-30-2013 11:50 PM

Yeah, its to the point that I need to get rid of them. Back of the cab is really bad, and when it snows, I dont really have the chance to wash it. Then Wyoming has a restriction on water, so you have to use a damn car wash. Then I work 6 days a week and dont have alot of time to wash her. And Im OCD about my truck, so this is bugging the crap out of me.

gsxr1300 03-31-2013 07:45 AM

They need to be polished out and then wax it monthly with a durable wax like collinite 845

jim48 03-31-2013 08:50 AM

Yeah, me too. I've been able to wax agressively and got some of the water spots to not show up as bad. However if the sun is right you can see some. I've never used an electric buffer and polishing compound. If this is what it takes to get rid of the spots----maybe one of our members can educate the rest of us on how to safely accomplish this.

I'd sure buy the equipment and tackle the spots if I knew what to do.

Jim

Tim Young 03-31-2013 10:30 AM

Here is what Meguiar's has to say about water spots.

How To Remove Water Spots

marchare011 03-31-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by CountryD (Post 13010134)
Yeah, its to the point that I need to get rid of them. Back of the cab is really bad, and when it snows, I dont really have the chance to wash it. Then Wyoming has a restriction on water, so you have to use a damn car wash. Then I work 6 days a week and dont have alot of time to wash her. And Im OCD about my truck, so this is bugging the crap out of me.

What part of WY are you working in? I live in Gillette, and we do have irrigation restrictions during the summer months. Most of WY has a problem with hard water. Lots of minerals and such in the water.

PhuzzNutz 03-31-2013 11:46 AM

OK, guys, I know this is going to sound "Really Crazy" BUT, try Mayonnaise on a damp rag and then wash and wax. The oils in the mayo usually do the trick.

Phuzzy :-X03

Tomahawk 03-31-2013 12:07 PM

I know what you guys are taking about. Every time we head out west the truck gets a bath at least once, and getting it dried off before it water spots turns into an aerobic exercise. The air is so dry. What I do while I wash the truck is constantly keep the whole truck wet. As soon as I'm done spraying my son starts drying it off with an old bath towel and I'm right behind him with a big microfiber towel. Hood and roof first, then the sides.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sleep/being-tired.gif

CountryD 03-31-2013 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by marchare011 (Post 13011623)
What part of WY are you working in? I live in Gillette, and we do have irrigation restrictions during the summer months. Most of WY has a problem with hard water. Lots of minerals and such in the water.

Im staying in Rawilins and working in Bairoil for Merrit Energy.

What I have done is spoke to a couple of buddies and went online and bought Chemical Guys water spot remover and jet sealer 109. For you guys that are battling water spots like me, take a look on Youtube at Chemical Guys water spot remover. Looks pretty easy, Clear coat safe and gets rid of ALL the water spots. Then apply the Jet 109, then a follow up coat of whatever wax you want and spots become less likely to appear next time.

I researched, Meguires Spot remover, Denease, Duragloss, Ducky products, etc. and everybody seems to be all GAGA over all the Chemical guys products.

Im a LOYAL customer to Adams waxes and polishes, so, Im gonna try the Chemical guys stuff and then put a top wax on with Adams.

I will post some results when the Spot Remover comes in. I had to order it from florida, so hopefully by next weekend, I will be able to post up results with some pics. :-X06

012drw 03-31-2013 12:48 PM

Distled white viniger reduce 50% with water spray bottle works great, wet the surface let set 30 sec to 1 min wipe dry. it also removes the wax so you have to rewax:)

mikespecht 03-31-2013 12:50 PM

have you tried to search on youtube how to remove water spots? Most of the time, if you need to know how to do ANYTHING there are about 100 videos on there about what you searched for. Anything from algebra you forgot since high school to how to rebuid an engine.

CountryD 03-31-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mikespecht (Post 13011906)
have you tried to search on youtube how to remove water spots? Most of the time, if you need to know how to do ANYTHING there are about 100 videos on there about what you searched for. Anything from algebra you forgot since high school to how to rebuid an engine.

Yeah for about 3 days, I have looked on youtube and researched ALOT of sites on water spots. Like I said in a earlier post, Ive looked at SEVERAL products and decided on Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover.

012 DRW, I tried the Half and Half Vinegar and water with NO luck. I think the spots have been on there for awhile, since I dont have alot of time to wash and wax here because of my work schedule. Hopefully this Chemical Guys product will work as advertised.

SurryGent 03-31-2013 01:15 PM

Chemical Guys have really good products, with good support. If it wereme after removing the water spots I would use a medium clay bar, then seal it,then wax it. You are now ready for summer’s sun. Sealer willgive you about four months of good protection, wear as wax of any kind is onlygood short term. Looking forward to reading your results.

marchare011 03-31-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by CountryD (Post 13011903)
Im staying in Rawilins and working in Bairoil for Merrit Energy.

What I have done is spoke to a couple of buddies and went online and bought Chemical Guys water spot remover and jet sealer 109. For you guys that are battling water spots like me, take a look on Youtube at Chemical Guys water spot remover. Looks pretty easy, Clear coat safe and gets rid of ALL the water spots. Then apply the Jet 109, then a follow up coat of whatever wax you want and spots become less likely to appear next time.

I researched, Meguires Spot remover, Denease, Duragloss, Ducky products, etc. and everybody seems to be all GAGA over all the Chemical guys products.

Im a LOYAL customer to Adams waxes and polishes, so, Im gonna try the Chemical guys stuff and then put a top wax on with Adams.

I will post some results when the Spot Remover comes in. I had to order it from florida, so hopefully by next weekend, I will be able to post up results with some pics. :-X06

Cool. My FIL used to live in Rawlins. He worked for Dowell. That was back in the 80's. I go thru Rawlins once or twice a year on my way to Rock Springs or Moab to go 4-wheelin in the sand dunes.

Good luck with the spots.