Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What do you guys think of this 88 XLT Lariat? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1233562-what-do-you-guys-think-of-this-88-xlt-lariat.html)

joegeds 03-30-2013 07:44 AM

What do you guys think of this 88 XLT Lariat?

1988 Ford Truck - XLT Lariat 4x4 **Low Miles**

Just going by the limited info in the ad, do you think it's overpriced? There are not too may clean trucks this old around the Detroit area here, and I'm going to call this guy in an hour or so to take a look at it. Assuming there's no rust, and everything works, what do you think? I don't even know if it's an F-150 or 250.

Jarryd 03-30-2013 07:55 AM

I paid $3000 for a rust free 94 with good paint and felt like I didn't get a great deal on it.

joegeds 03-30-2013 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jarryd (Post 13007528)
I paid $3000 for a rust free 94 with good paint and felt like I didn't get a great deal on it.

Want to sell it to me? :D Where do you live? I see rust free trucks all over in Georgia, Texas, Cali, Oregon, etc. in the $5000 or less range. Not too many in the Detroit area for this price - at least for a truck with this many options. Now, I could see a nice one in California on Craigslist and fly out there and drive it back and it would save me a few grand. But it could be sold by the time I get there, it could be not as advertised, or any number of things could go wrong. Plus, I'd then spend 2-3 days driving home as well as almost a grand for a one-way air fare.

Diesel_Brad 03-30-2013 08:10 AM

Too much. Worth 1/2 what he is asking

Jarryd 03-30-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by joegeds (Post 13007562)
Want to sell it to me? :D Where do you live? I see rust free trucks all over in Georgia, Texas, Cali, Oregon, etc. in the $5000 or less range. Not too many in the Detroit area for this price - at least for a truck with this many options. Now, I could see a nice one in California on Craigslist and fly out there and drive it back and it would save me a few grand. But it could be sold by the time I get there, it could be not as advertised, or any number of things could go wrong. Plus, I'd then spend 2-3 days driving home as well as almost a grand for a one-way air fare.

I'll never sell this truck. I will drive it till it won't drive anymore. That may be a while but I had my last mustang for 8 years do I'm hoping I can keep this thing every bit of that.

joegeds 03-30-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 13007569)

I was going to offer $6000 and see where we go from there. I don't want to insult the guy though. He's sending me more pics this morning.

turnkyle 03-30-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by joegeds (Post 13007609)
I was going to offer $6000 and see where we go from there. I don't want to insult the guy though. He's sending me more pics this morning.

It might be worth $6000 if it had a diesel in it. I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for it. I got my 94 f150 excab 99% rust free for $2500 in my area though. Of course that was a killer deal because it had a rebuilt title.

Jarryd 03-30-2013 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by turnkyle (Post 13007636)
It might be worth $6000 if it had a diesel in it. I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for it. I got my 94 f150 excab 99% rust free for $2500 in my area though. Of course that was a killer deal because it had a rebuilt title.

I don't see it. We only got 4200 out of my dad's 98 xlt.

whiteboyslo 03-30-2013 09:42 AM

You know, I'm usually one of the naysayers in threads like this, reminding folks that what's 'way too much' for their neck of the woods may be a perfectly reasonable price anywhere else. But, on this one, even I have to admit that price is steep for a 1/2 ton. He's REALLY banking on that clean body, which is nice, but come on. Even in CA, that truck is worth $4K-$5K max. Matter of fact, you could find a rust free truck out here, fly out, buy it, and drive it back for less than what he's asking.

Mike

joegeds 03-30-2013 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo (Post 13007832)
You know, I'm usually one of the naysayers in threads like this, reminding folks that what's 'way too much' for their neck of the woods may be a perfectly reasonable price anywhere else. But, on this one, even I have to admit that price is steep for a 1/2 ton. He's REALLY banking on that clean body, which is nice, but come on. Even in CA, that truck is worth $4K-$5K max. Matter of fact, you could find a rust free truck out here, fly out, buy it, and drive it back for less than what he's asking.

Mike

You know what would be a good service to get into - and maybe something can be organized on this forum - but to have some kind of "liasons" around the country. As I said, I see a lot of nice trucks in other parts of the country, like California. I would be willing to pay a couple hundred or so to one of the posters on here to look at any given truck, give feedback, and maybe even handle the actual paying of the money (of course the buyer would wire it to him) and taking possession of the vehicle while the buyer arranges shipping. Would be a good way for some posters to make some extra cash and would be good for people like me who want to buy trucks that are not local. I don't know - just an idea.

BigBlockF350 03-30-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 13007569)

I agree...

If it was a 250 or 350 with a diesel, it might be worth that.

Don't get me wrong, it's got nice features. For me, $4750 would be the high side. Wouldn't pay more than that even if everything was great when I went to see it. Would hope to pay a bit less than that.

Evan_P 03-30-2013 12:24 PM

I think that is too high a price for that truck. You mentioned Oregon. Why not fly out here for a truck? There are quiet a few truck for LESS than that, with same or less miles in just as good, if not better shape. We don't salt our roads so there wont be much rust issues. My truck has been all over Oregon since it was built. Up the mountains through snow multiple times. No rust issues at all.

Example 1:
1995 F150 Eddie Bauer 4X4. 83k miles. $4700
1995 Ford F150 Reg Cab Long Bed Eddie Bauer Edition 4x4

Example 2:
1995 F150 Extended Cab XLT. $4488
1995 Ford F150 Super Cab Automatic

Example 3:
1993 F150 Extended Cab XLT. 128k miles. $4350
1993 F150 XLT 4X4 extended cab

Example 4:
1993 F150 Extended Cab XLT. 137k miles. $4000
1993 F150 302 4x4 XLT w/canopy tow pkg

Then there are the F250 and F350 with Powerstrokes that are less than that. Keep looking. That truck is TOO much.

whiteboyslo 03-30-2013 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by joegeds (Post 13007872)
You know what would be a good service to get into - and maybe something can be organized on this forum - but to have some kind of "liasons" around the country. As I said, I see a lot of nice trucks in other parts of the country, like California. I would be willing to pay a couple hundred or so to one of the posters on here to look at any given truck, give feedback, and maybe even handle the actual paying of the money (of course the buyer would wire it to him) and taking possession of the vehicle while the buyer arranges shipping. Would be a good way for some posters to make some extra cash and would be good for people like me who want to buy trucks that are not local. I don't know - just an idea.

That's actually how I bought my 89 I used to have. I'm in the San Diego area and the truck was in the Bay Area. I posted up on a car forum I was on at the time (not even a Ford truck forum) asking if anyone would mind going over to the dealership and checking it out. A guy said 'no problem', checked it out, gave it a clean bill of health, and I negotiated the whole deal online. I hitched a ride up with a buddy, and was out of the dealership in less than an hour. The ride home was a great 'truck bonding' experience as well. :-X22:-X22

So long as it isn't a huge drive for me or some shady deal, I guess this is me offering to pay that experience forward for anyone on here.

Mike

GNR22 03-30-2013 12:32 PM

He would have to have a Powerstroke in it to pull 9k. Even then, it's a bricknose half ton with 100k miles and a 5.0 that somebody drove through the accessory section of a magazine with the crap magnet on.

Being that clean, with non working AC, being repainted, which I'd really pick apart anything I find wrong with the paint job because it was repainted. People love that. I'd offer the guy maybe 3k. He's definitely going to reject that though. Move on to something better. He's out of his mind.

Evan_P 03-30-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo (Post 13008199)
That's actually how I bought my 89 I used to have. I'm in the San Diego area and the truck was in the Bay Area. I posted up on a car forum I was on at the time (not even a Ford truck forum) asking if anyone would mind going over to the dealership and checking it out. A guy said 'no problem', checked it out, gave it a clean bill of health, and I negotiated the whole deal online. I hitched a ride up with a buddy, and was out of the dealership in less than an hour. The ride home was a great 'truck bonding' experience as well. :-X22:-X22

So long as it isn't a huge drive for me or some shady deal, I guess this is me offering to pay that experience forward for anyone on here.

Mike

I would be up for doing the same if its in the Portland, Beaverton or Hillsboro area or Oregon. I am usually out driving in those areas all week long.