Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Time to buy some gauges - what are you using? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1232374-time-to-buy-some-gauges-what-are-you-using.html)

the_auto_tech 03-24-2013 11:15 PM

Time to buy some gauges - what are you using?

I just got the truck back from being studded along with some other upgrades and updates. Truck now has an SCT tuner and 4" straight MBRP exhaust and will have an Atlas 40 FICM soon as well. Currently, Torque is setup to monitor:

Page 1 -
Engine oil temp
Engine coolant temp
Transmission fluid temp
Battery voltage
FICM main power
IPR PSI

Page 2 -
Boost (I've got the boost gauge in the cluster, so kind of pointless)
Current gear
Fan RPM
IPR %
Engine load %
VGT %

It seems besides EGT and low pressure fuel Torque has it covered. I know both of those require a sending unit and temp probe hooked up to a gauge or monitor. Most likely I'll just mount them on the A-pillar as it seems the best location and will be mounting my phone on top of the dash using a phone mount near the A-pillar.

Is there anything else you guys recommend?

Bullitt390 03-24-2013 11:42 PM

DashBoss with the EGT and Fuel pressure kit would get you everything without having a need for pillar gauges...

On the 12 Gauge screen I have:
ECT
EOT
Volts
FICM Main
Boost
Mass Fuel Desired
ICP PSI
ICP Volts
IPR %
Trans Temp
Fan Speed
VGT%

Then on 3 screens of 4:

Screen 1:
FICM Synch
FICM Main
FICM Logic
FICM Vehicle

Screen2:
Is my test screen.. I load up my variables there, currently:
Fuel Level
ICP CALC
ICP Desired
EBP PSI

Screen 3:
BARO
MAP
EBP
EBP volts

Currently working on Trans selection and ECT/EOT Spread PID

Josh

the_auto_tech 03-25-2013 07:11 AM

I'm perfectly fine with pillar gauges and in fact for certain items I prefer an analog gauge to read them. EGT and low pressure fuel dance around quite a bit and I would prefer them in analog readout whereas all the other listed things (besides boost and HPO PSI) don't really move around much once the truck is up to operating temperature. Boost I am fine with the analog gauge in the cluster and I've got HPO PSI on Torque. Also, there's no reason to go to DashBoss for me, especially when I have Torque already setup and it cost me more to use it compared to just get stand-alone gauges.

acf6 03-25-2013 07:56 AM

The boost gauge in the dash is not accurate if you are running a tuner, and the reading from the obd 2 won't be either

I'm planning on running a 0-30/40 boost, 0-100 fuel pressure and 1-1600 egt eventually. Isspro ev2

Km1210 03-25-2013 08:08 AM

Another vote for Isspro EV2 gauges.

I have the old school Isspro EV's in my truck and they still work excellent.

Good, quality gauges and are easy to read.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...riderxx/qw.jpg

Km1210 03-25-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 12988840)
The boost gauge in the dash is not accurate if you are running a tuner, and the reading from the obd 2 won't be either

I'm planning on running a 0-30/40 boost, 0-100 fuel pressure and 1-1600 egt eventually. Isspro ev2

Miles,

Fo the boost gauge, I would run a 0-40. You guys can crank out more than 30 psi with the 6.0 if you intend on upgrading performance later on. Better to have more than not enough.

Just my .02

Bullitt390 03-25-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 12988840)

DashBoss you choose either boost from the PCM or absolute boost from the MAP.

Josh

acf6 03-25-2013 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Km1210 (Post 12988879)
Miles,

Fo the boost gauge, I would run a 0-40. You guys can crank out more than 30 psi with the 6.0 if you intend on upgrading performance later on. Better to have more than not enough.

Just my .02

Ya, I just couldn't remember if they came in 0-30 or 0-40

Km1210 03-25-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 12989058)
Ya, I just couldn't remember if they came in 0-30 or 0-40

You can get them in 0-30, 0-40, 0-60, or even 0-100.

I think 0-40 would be enough unless you're building a race truck.}>

the_auto_tech 03-25-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt390 (Post 12989004)
DashBoss you choose either boost from the PCM or absolute boost from the MAP.

Josh

I was thinking Torque works the exact same way. I guess I just don't really understand needing a 3rd boost gauge for the truck, especially since I have studs. The factory gauge seems to be fairly accurate to me.

What gauges are you ACTUALLY monitoring? Obviously some of those are really only useful if you're having a problem, and most likely you would catch that problem on another related gauge I would think. I just don't feel the need to cycle through a billion gauges.

acf6 03-25-2013 09:06 PM

I really dont even look at my scangauge, it just gets me all worked up if i do. I typically display Volts, FICM main volts, oil and coolant temp. Unfortunately this has been alerting me that i need an oil cooler, as im running a 15* delta most of the time, but its not so bad yet so im putting it off

I really just want a fuel pressure gauge, i feel that is one you should always monitor

the_auto_tech 03-25-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 12991543)
I really dont even look at my scangauge, it just gets me all worked up if i do. I typically display Volts, FICM main volts, oil and coolant temp. Unfortunately this has been alerting me that i need an oil cooler, as im running a 15* delta most of the time, but its not so bad yet so im putting it off

I really just want a fuel pressure gauge, i feel that is one you should always monitor

I will definitely agree fuel pressure and EGT are ones you should always be mindful of and should be watched any time driving the truck. EOT, ECT, TFT, voltage, FICM main power, and ICP PSI all make sense to watch as "secondary" gauges on Torque. Those will all alert you of any major problems going on. I'm alright with having one page of gauges to look at and couple pillar gauges, but I don't really feel the need to be flipping through pages of readouts on my phone.

Bullitt390 03-25-2013 09:19 PM

I honestly do not pay much attention at this point, and normally do not even fire up DashBoss unless I am traveling farther than normal, or just bored in traffic.

However, what I keep my eye on is Volts and IPR% at idle.

Josh

acf6 03-25-2013 09:20 PM

Can i ask (serious question) why you look at IPR %?

the_auto_tech 03-25-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 12991608)
Can i ask (serious question) why you look at IPR %?

Curious as well. I simply watch IPR PSI.