Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1953-55 Door Glass (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1231274-1953-55-door-glass.html)

1954_NJ_F100 03-19-2013 08:43 PM

1953-55 Door Glass

I need to replace two side door windows and did some pricing research for clear glass.

Does anyone have any insights into the pricing disparity? or quality isues?

The catalogs are usually close in costs but here there is quite a difference. :-huh

Low to high price each window (clear glass) below:
:-X15
LMC - $39.95
Mid-Fifty - $45.00
NPD - $56.50
Obsolete & Classic - $99.95
MAC's - $115.00

bigwin56f100 03-19-2013 08:59 PM

I get flat door glass made at my local glass shop for $25.00 a window. Use your old glass for a pattern

teardropty 03-19-2013 09:13 PM

I use LMC. The difference is between foreign and USA glass manufacturers. As long as it is DOT glass, and it should be, I use it. I went through this last year with NPD. They informed me their glass was from a USA supplier, hence the higher price. They also claimed that their glass was superior to the foreign "junk" LMC sold. To me, DOT glass is DOT glass, as it relates to side glass. After some research I found out that the glass WAS supplied by a USA supplier but from foreign made material. Some people have said that the glass they received was too big, etc. but I have ordered over a dozen pieces from LMC and never had a problem except for once and they made it right asap. I went with LMC because it was cheaper, works fine for my purpose and the money goes in the pocket of a US company and I let it be at that. As with anything, quality does vary between manufacturers but for our needs I believe the difference comes down to money.

P.S. Make sure if you get it cut locally that they use DOT approved glass. I have seen local glass that was cut but didn't have a DOT stamp on it. I had a state inspection fail because the glass wasn't "DOT APPROVED".

rastiss 03-20-2013 07:29 AM

80% or more of the glass is foreign made especially in new cars. In the 80's and early 90's it was even split between USA and Mexico made. Now it is truly global from all over the world but at least half is Chinese. As a glass installer I see it all the time. Having said that, flat laminated glass is all pretty much the same. If your state inspection doesn't look for a logo(they don't here) go to a local glass shop as mentioned as it will be the cheapest option.

truckeemtnfords 03-20-2013 02:23 PM

The other difference is some of that is tempered and some is laminated, laminated was stock.

fordman75 03-20-2013 03:51 PM

Like truckeemtnfords was mentioning. Mid-Fifty's door and rear windows are tempered safety glass ( but they also sell the laminated if that's what you want ) .

That's one of the reasons I'm getting my glass from them. I prefer the tempered over laminated for the door glass and rear window.

1954_NJ_F100 03-23-2013 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.
Is tempered glass safer? or offer other benefits over laminated glass?

teardropty 03-23-2013 10:26 AM

I prefer tempered glass. That is what modern glass is. It's safer in an accident. Laminated glass can produces shards if broken. Laminated glass is prone to delamination and bubbling. It's basically glass between laminating sheets, no heat treat to it. Tempered glass will not delam or stay in big chucks if broken. Unless you are trying to be bone stock, go with tempered glass.

1954_NJ_F100 03-23-2013 10:31 AM

Got it - thanks. I will go with the tempered glass.

ChuckRob 03-23-2013 01:21 PM

I used Classic Truck Glass in CA. They have all the ford patterns, can get clear or any color and the quality is great. I got all the glass for my 48, green tint windshield, all other windows in smoke for $300.00 including shipping.

Classic Truck Glass

ford56forever 03-24-2013 08:55 AM

tempered glass

Tempered is best especially for doors because of the slamming.