Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   PCM fuse is clicking (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1228004-pcm-fuse-is-clicking.html)

Gonu50 03-05-2013 03:43 PM

PCM fuse is clicking

I have a 2000 F150 2wd with a 5.4 engine. I am helping a friend with it. The truck had not run for 18 months. The original issue was fuel supply. I changed the fuel pump yesterday and it started right up.

I picked it up this morning and it made the ride home with a couple of stops with no issues. I drove it to the store this afternoon and when I got back in to leave, it would not start. I heard a clicking from the interior fuse panel and it was the PCM fuse. I was trying to remove it and it stopped clicking. The truck started and I drove it home. Once home, I started it several times without an issue.

So, I went to leave again and it would not start. Th PCM fuse started clicking and the theft warning light started flashing. What is up?

enriched&beyound 03-05-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gonu50 (Post 12914336)
I have a 2000 F150 2wd with a 5.4 engine. I am helping a friend with it. The truck had not run for 18 months. The original issue was fuel supply. I changed the fuel pump yesterday and it started right up.

I picked it up this morning and it made the ride home with a couple of stops with no issues. I drove it to the store this afternoon and when I got back in to leave, it would not start. I heard a clicking from the interior fuse panel and it was the PCM fuse. I was trying to remove it and it stopped clicking. The truck started and I drove it home. Once home, I started it several times without an issue.

So, I went to leave again and it would not start. Th PCM fuse started clicking and the theft warning light started flashing. What is up?

try changing the relay to the ECM or as you put it the PCM. & for the fuel pump.
see if there is another set of keys for it...try the other set and see if the theft light still flashes.

also could not hurt to make sure all the battery connections are good seeing that this sat for a extended period.

Make sure the battery is good and that the Alternator is charging properly.

if it doesn't behave better after that...then most likely there is a issue with the PATS system.

projectSHO89 03-06-2013 05:33 AM

I've never seen or heard a fuse "click"...

Gonu50 03-06-2013 06:01 AM

Good point. I Guess the correct description should have been a relay (black cube) in the interior fuse box.

Thanks!

Bluegrass 7 03-08-2013 09:22 PM

There are 5 relay positions, which one was cycling?
None of them should have anything to do with starting but only a secondary reaction. Check owner book page 209.
There are several fuses dealing with the PCM on that panel..
Sounds like a fuse seating issue or a panel issue.
The PATS lamp flashing might possibly tell you a trouble code that could be helpfull.
When it flashes there will be a no start.
Let it set for a few minutes in 'run' to see if it detects a trouble code.
Good luck.

Gonu50 03-09-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks for the ideas Bluegrass 7! This occurred on Wednesday. I charged the battery and drove it to Autozone on Thursday. The alternator is working fine. I have not had any other problems since, though I am still staying close to home on m trips. I guess it was another "been sitting for 18 months" glitch.