Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Mexico Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum208/)
-   -   Anyone with A.E./7.3 knowledge in southern New Mexico? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1226059-anyone-with-a-e-7-3-knowledge-in-southern-new-mexico.html)

CM-7.3PSD 02-25-2013 11:49 AM

Anyone with A.E./7.3 knowledge in southern New Mexico?

I am in need of a scan and perhaps a hand. i think i have some power issues. any help would be great thank you.

06/99 f250 7.3 psd 6spd manual 2wd 180,000m bone stock...

ztodd377 02-26-2013 10:51 AM

Where are you located! I'm in ABQ.

CM-7.3PSD 02-26-2013 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ztodd377 (Post 12885832)
Where are you located! I'm in ABQ.

Im in las cruces. sorry i didnt post that in the first place. oops

ztodd377 02-26-2013 06:42 PM

What kind of symptoms are you having? And have you done any troubleshooting yet?

CM-7.3PSD 03-01-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ztodd377 (Post 12887558)
What kind of symptoms are you having? And have you done any troubleshooting yet?

I bought the truck a year ago an it had 130,000m and absolutely no issues. Previous owner took very exellent care of truck was like new inside an out. I drive back an forth from la crues to north dakota and its my work tuck in ND too. I stay on top of all fluid/filter changes. It was extremely difficult to start this winter- even when like 40 put. replaced gpr and switched to t6 5w40 and all was well. during that i noticed what appears to be exhaust gas in the top of my degas. Nothing seems to be mixing woth the coolant though- just the top of the bottle. She also has lost the resonsivness it once had. like the truck is tired and wont stand up like it used to? I also have a small coolant leak coming from the thermo housing and lower hose. whole engine bay was etting oily an dusty all the way off the tranny and starter so i cleaned her up till almost spotless and found no other leaks so far. I took it to a local diesel performane shop an they said the truck is actually pretty healthy and everythig is running to specs includig injectors an turbo. they also sai the grime in my degas was casting sand and a good flush and coolant filter would solve it. I still think something else is going on as i drive the truck aall the time and it doesnt feel the same. It has fresh oil/filter and new fuel an air filter.

CM-7.3PSD 03-01-2013 10:25 AM

This is my first diesel so im learnig as i go. Literally ALL my tools are in ND so troublshooting/working on the truck has been difficult. i have heard good thigs about AE and wanted to see what it reads for my truck. maybe to get an idea where to direct the limted funds i have. I really need to get back to work! I work in construction and haul people tools and materials 14hrs a day 7days a week plus the many cross country journeys. sorry for the lengthy post but im told you get better help that way.

ztodd377 03-01-2013 12:12 PM

Good post. My buddy right around the corner here is getting ready to purchase AE with his tax return but doesn't have it yet. As for the coolant leak, I had one like that and when I replaced my thermostat I put thermostat safe gasket maker on there and it solved the problem. I can also speak to the coolant filter. My truck had around 136,000 when I put my coolant filter system on, and on the first filter change I cut the filter open to see how much junk was in there. There was a ton of casting sand in there. It's gotten less and less over time with the filter changes and I even swapped over to the extended life coolant (500,000 mile change out). A lot of guys here have done that.
Not too sure about the power loss yet.

CM-7.3PSD 03-01-2013 12:55 PM

Elc, a filter, ccvmod, intake, exhaust, etc will be done before too long to help minimize future issues. Im hoping to prevent spending money on things i dont need to. i hope. I have realized this truck is gonna cost me some coin to get it where i want it, but should last a loooong time after that. Thought about selling it and the diesel tech told me im nuts haha. good to know...

ztodd377 03-01-2013 05:04 PM

And if you're ever up in ABQ I got tools and a place to work on stuff if needed.

CM-7.3PSD 03-01-2013 06:28 PM

Man i really appreciate the offer. its no fun at my place- no garage/shop and nothing but dust and sand.

ztodd377 03-01-2013 09:27 PM

Anytime you're up this way. Here's my cell 907-301-7347. My buddy Matt (HH60FE on FTE) lives nearby and has a 7.3 also.

Todd

tdpower 03-09-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CM-7.3PSD (Post 12897884)
I bought the truck a year ago an it had 130,000m and absolutely no issues. Previous owner took very exellent care of truck was like new inside an out. I drive back an forth from la crues to north dakota and its my work tuck in ND too. I stay on top of all fluid/filter changes. It was extremely difficult to start this winter- even when like 40 put. replaced gpr and switched to t6 5w40 and all was well. during that i noticed what appears to be exhaust gas in the top of my degas. Nothing seems to be mixing woth the coolant though- just the top of the bottle. She also has lost the resonsivness it once had. like the truck is tired and wont stand up like it used to? I also have a small coolant leak coming from the thermo housing and lower hose. whole engine bay was etting oily an dusty all the way off the tranny and starter so i cleaned her up till almost spotless and found no other leaks so far. I took it to a local diesel performane shop an they said the truck is actually pretty healthy and everythig is running to specs includig injectors an turbo. they also sai the grime in my degas was casting sand and a good flush and coolant filter would solve it. I still think something else is going on as i drive the truck aall the time and it doesnt feel the same. It has fresh oil/filter and new fuel an air filter.

Tugly was having a similar problem with exhaust gasses in the coolant. Looks like it was a cracked injector cup. You might want to shoot him a pm or start a new thread in the 7.3 section.

Here is a link to his thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-stick-up.html

CM-7.3PSD 03-09-2013 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by tdpower (Post 12929674)
Tugly was having a similar problem with exhaust gasses in the coolant. Looks like it was a cracked injector cup. You might want to shoot him a pm or start a new thread in the 7.3 section.

Here is a link to his thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-stick-up.html

Yeah Tugly got me to the exhaust/coolant conclusion in a diff thread i started specifically for that. Those will be replaced when i upgrade the injectors at a later date. im gonna let her sit till i can do it right. i just want to run AE to learn about my truck as much as possible before i go sinking whole loaves of bread into it haha.