Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum96/)
-   -   Vacation spots?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1224110-vacation-spots.html)

stroked7.3 02-16-2013 03:50 PM

Vacation spots??

The wife and I are looking to go on a vacation here soon and are looking to stay in Tx most likely or a neighboring state. Anyone have any past experiences and recomendations for either Tx or a neighboring state?

LibTimothy 02-16-2013 06:42 PM

Texas is Great!!

Fredericksburg is a fun place. The hill country, west of Austin and down to San Antonio, is beautiful. I have not been to Palo Duro Canyon State Park yet, but I have heard it is a fantastic place to visit.

Which neighboring states are you thinking about, because there are four of them and each is about as different as they can be.....

Timothy

stroked7.3 02-16-2013 07:13 PM

Weve been to san antonio but never austin and were really not sure what other states my friends wife is from Oklahoma and they both say that there is nothing to do there. We were thinking maybe austin but are not really sure I'd like to go camping or something similar but she insists if we go camping it has to be at a campground with facilities. So were really up for anything and were even contemplating going as far as mt. Rushmore but I'm not sure if I want to drive the truck that far as I just put new rims and tires on her and that's a lot of miles for my new tires lol. But any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

LibTimothy 02-17-2013 09:38 AM

Vacation

Well Palo Duro Canyon is up in the pan handle near OK.

The hill country near Austin has more accommodations than you can imagine. Full hookup camp grounds for RVs, tent camping, hotels, B&B's, highway overpasses, etc. (Just kidding about the last one...)

For our vacations we have been picking different small cities in Texas and going to them and then figuring out what to do. It is a fun hobby.

Timothy

stroked7.3 02-17-2013 12:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions :-X22

itsnotanova 02-17-2013 01:57 PM

When are you coming here?

stroked7.3 02-17-2013 02:45 PM

No set date yet just trying to get some input from others as we both really dont know where to go

DRRXR 02-17-2013 05:23 PM

Well if its during warmer weather we may recommend someother spots.

It its cooler another.

Then how far you looking to drive?

I like to do the bump stop camping at about three places and make a loop. Spending 2 days then 4 days and then 4 more in the last place. Then get home still on vacation- do some honey do's and return to work after 2 days at home.

parker245 02-17-2013 05:35 PM

If'n you like the beach, you might check out the Redneck Riviera, aka LA, aka Lower Alabama. I know it isn't in state, or a neighboring state. But it isn't too far from Beaumont and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than going on over to Destin. It has white, sandy beaches and beautiful blue water. You can catch some fishing, sit by the water and chill, or if you stay in a condo on the beach, they usually have a pool on the beach side as well. We stay in Orange Beach instead of Gulf Shores. It isn't as crowded and neither are as crowded as Destin. Perdido Key is just over the bridge and there are plenty of beach houses and condo's over there to rent as well. And if you just want to go see what all the fuss is, you can drive over to Destin and see for yourself. It's about an hours drive.

Plenty to see and do. Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum, fishing, golf, shopping for the women folk, plenty of out of the way places to get a great dinner for not a lot of coin.

Just my .02. I like it better than South Padre, and it is closer for me, too.

stroked7.3 02-17-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks guys and the beach sounds like fun. Well be goin may the absolute latest mobile is about 8 hours from Houston? A days drive 10-12 hours at most is as far as well concievably go. That bump stop idea sounds like what I like to do be home a few days before work comes calling again.

parker245 02-18-2013 09:04 AM

Well there ya go! Houston to Slidel plus another two and a half - three hours and your letting the waves lap up over your toes at the Redneck Riviera! If you go soon, you still can get on winter rates which is about half what it would be if you wait 'till the rug rats get out of school. Plus you could have the beach pretty much to yourself! Now, if'n you're into a little site seeing, IE gazing at scantly clad females other than family, pickin's might be a little slim, but what the hay?

twg1966 02-18-2013 08:36 PM

We have traveled to the Grand Canyon last year. Beautiful country, plenty of camping areas and lots to do. A little far but doable. Two years before that we went to Palo Duro Canyon and then Branson, Mo. The year before that we went to Mount Rushmore, then toured the Badlands. All of the locations were great to visit, plenty to do and a heck of a lot good fun.

Whatever you choose to do, just do it and enjoy it.

stroked7.3 02-18-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by twg1966 (Post 12855343)
We have traveled to the Grand Canyon last year. Beautiful country, plenty of camping areas and lots to do. A little far but doable. Two years before that we went to Palo Duro Canyon and then Branson, Mo. The year before that we went to Mount Rushmore, then toured the Badlands. All of the locations were great to visit, plenty to do and a heck of a lot good fun.

Whatever you choose to do, just do it and enjoy it.

Thanks well definately enjoy it and how was mt rushmore? Is it worth the drive? Id really like to go there sometime soon but the beach also sounds like a good time.

twg1966 02-19-2013 06:02 AM

I will tell you Mount Rushmore was our first long trip with the girls. We decided to take a tent instead of the camper for that trip and it turned out to be our best family vacation. You could stay there a month and not have time to see everything in the area that is there.

For sheer magnificence, nothing beats the Grand Canyon. It is such an awe inspiring thing to see. If you haven't been to either of these two, I would put them high in your list of places to visit.

I want to add Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

stroked7.3 02-19-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by twg1966 (Post 12856409)
I will tell you Mount Rushmore was our first long trip with the girls. We decided to take a tent instead of the camper for that trip and it turned out to be our best family vacation. You could stay there a month and not have time to see everything in the area that is there.

For sheer magnificence, nothing beats the Grand Canyon. It is such an awe inspiring thing to see. If you haven't been to either of these two, I would put them high in your list of places to visit.

I want to add Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

That sounds good my wife has seen the grand canyon but I haven't. How long did it take to get to mt Rushmore? I also want to see yellow stone pretty badly.