Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   2 beers, a bottle of kaboom and a toilet brush (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1223141-2-beers-a-bottle-of-kaboom-and-a-toilet-brush.html)

GB SISSON 02-11-2013 10:00 PM

2 beers, a bottle of kaboom and a toilet brush

5 Attachment(s)
I spent all day on Sunday gathering wheels and tires from old oddball fords to sell to other members. (thanks Stu). I had to drag this old camper out of the woods to get the right 7.50 17s to send to Georgia. The camper , a '62 Alaskan that has hydraulic cylinders in the 4 corners. You pump it up with a hydraulic jack under a cabinet to get 6' + headroom while camping and nice and low while towing. The plus is... On an island with ferry service, we have limits to height and length. With the camper as pictured in the down position it is 6'7" and the rig is under 22' in length. The regs call for under 22' in length and less than 7'6" in height. The 'under' category goes for the standard car fare of 28.00. If it's over 7'6" it's 60.00 more. I'm just gonna stop at Charlie's restaurant and let about 20 lbs of air out of the rear tires. Voila! 7' 6" anyways it's a cool vintage camper and it is water tight and not all damp and icky inside.......It cleaned up real good.

truckdog62563 02-12-2013 12:00 AM

Gary - that's outstanding!! I envy you having a period correct rig like that. I've hoped to find a period shell or slide in to mount on the back of my '52 F-3 M-H project. I've found one that is period, and in good shape, but not the right length. So the search continues.

Glad you're finding homes for those orphan wheels. Did you drop in to read the '53 F-350 thread on the 48-56 page? You'll like the price quoted for new wheels and tires on that one! Stu

Edit - Have you seen this one Gary? Stu

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=662804

theodore/teddy 02-12-2013 09:28 AM

Gary that is a sweet looking camper, it cleaned up nice.

GB SISSON 02-12-2013 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys. My title sounds like 'kaboom' could be another name for moonshine, but rest assured it's just some spray cleaner I found under the sink. I think it was the cool badges on the sides that got me inspired to finally do something with it. I used to have a newer one from the 70s but it had the dark (and depressing) 'walnut' interior and peel and stick stickers instead of the cast badges. Sold it a few years back. They were made in Washington and fairly common here. Stu, that is an amazing truck and camper for sale, and yes I looked at the f350 thread. Wow. I know where there is a 60 parts truck I could get with 17.5s and a 64 flatbed with the same wheels and brand new tires, but the 64 is a pretty good runner, too good to steal the wheels off. Unles of course I do 'the conversion'......Does anyone need fridge one ton parts? Sheet metal isn't very good though. I'll get some pics next time I'm off island.

truckdog62563 02-12-2013 12:23 PM

Go back to the F-350 thread. Sounds like that may still find a new home, and your new found set of wheels might be of interest. Stu

willowbilly3 02-12-2013 02:48 PM

Cool!! I would love to find a decent old Alaskan pop up.
Your "ferry tales" reminded me of a few years ago when I rode the Pt. Townsend fairy to Whidbey every day. Once I pulled on with my 97 F250 extended cab and had to take my hitch out of the receiver to keep from paying several times the regular rate. It put me one inch over.
Then there was the time I had a brand new gas can in the back and the loading attendant about popped vein hollering at me. Even though it was brand new and never had gas, I had to leave it. I had to keep my saw gas locked in the tool box out of sight.

spurredon 02-12-2013 05:14 PM

Great pics as usual Gary! Made me chuckle when I saw you staged it with the lites turned on like they do for house showings! Very Awesome. Now you are set for a trip cross country one of these days.