Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   5.0L upgrade options. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1222796-5-0l-upgrade-options.html)

smokersteve 02-10-2013 05:24 PM

5.0L upgrade options.

This is a list of mods and upgrade options for the 5.0L f150. This does not include the super chargers turbo chargers, lift kits, wheels, gear changes...

Only Power, longevity, and MPG related upgrades.
  • SCT + Custom Tunes
  • Cat Back Exhaust
  • Headers with higher flowing cats
  • Headers with out cats
  • Replacement air filter upgrade
  • Intake kit upgrade
  • Oil Catch Can
  • Block the PCV vent to the intake and vent the blow by to the air.
  • Synthetic oils in the engine, diffs, and transfercase
  • Boss Intake manifold
  • Accel Super Coils
  • 85mm BBK Throttle Body
  • 90mm BBK Throttle BOdy
If you have more ideas on MODS and UPGRADES, please post them, I will add to the list :-X22

Gary Atsma 02-10-2013 09:52 PM

Nicely done! You've done many of us a service!
Upon looking it over, I was wondering which of them would mostly benefit fuel mileage. I just put a Raptor exhaust on my '13 F150 Reg Cab SB. I'm very happy with the sound, but I'll have to take it on a trip to see whether there are any mileage gains.
I'm having fun with it, either way!

Pool Runner 02-10-2013 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Atsma (Post 12824999)
Nicely done! You've done many of us a service!
Upon looking it over, I was wondering which of them would mostly benefit fuel mileage. I just put a Raptor exhaust on my '13 F150 Reg Cab SB. I'm very happy with the sound, but I'll have to take it on a trip to see whether there are any mileage gains.
I'm having fun with it, either way!

I too did the Raptor exhaust mod to my '11 5.0, I've probably had it on the truck for over 10K miles and have not noticed any mpg gains. But it does sure sound good.

Gary Atsma 02-10-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pool Runner (Post 12825091)
I too did the Raptor exhaust mod to my '11 5.0, I've probably had it on the truck for over 10K miles and have not noticed any mpg gains. But it does sure sound good.

Yeah, even if there is no improvement in mileage, I'll still be happy. On the trip I took to pick up the Raptor system, I got 21.5mpg average doing mostly 70mph, which I think isn't bad at all. I have to think there must be a small power gain due to less restriction, but my butt-dyno really can't tell.

Butl85 02-11-2013 12:21 AM

Not saying you cannot improve on factory MPG but I really have not seen any mod give you more mpg. I know they claim it will but if anything it drops because you have a heavier foot because you want to hear that shiny new exhaust you put on there. I think the closest you would come to improving MPG with a mod is a tuner because that can actually change how the engine runs.

johnday 02-11-2013 07:14 AM

Wouldn't a chip/programmer/whatever be the only way to get better fuel economy? I could be wrong, but don't all these electronic controls work to give you the best economy/power per the manufacturer? Seems you could change the airbox, exhaust all day long, but the controls will still maintain the factory settings? On the old nonelectronic engines, intakes and exhausts did make somewhat of a difference. But now? Maybe that's pretty obvious, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-drink

smokersteve 02-11-2013 10:46 AM

I see improving MPG on the 5.0L with out decreasing longevity will be
  • SCT cutom tuning
  • Synthetics in the engine (0w-20), diffs, and transfercase
  • Oil catch can
For the ones that tow, lets say more than 3,000lbs...
  • Cat back exhaust

Using an aftermarket air filter will give better mpg but decrese longevity because more dirt gets into the engine compaired to the FOMOCO OEM air filter.

In my specific situation... When I get to 20,000 miles(soon) I will be switching to:
  • Synthetic 75w-90 gear oil in the rear differential and upgrading the diff cover for improved cooling.
I dont tow often or heavy with my truck. At the most 1,000lbs.
With out a doubt I use the truck like a truck and it is used every week for both work and personal.
The difference Is that my activities are not super heavy in weight when it comes to this f-150.

Gary Atsma 02-11-2013 05:56 PM

What you say about aftermarket filters is mostly true with only one exception I know of, and that's Volant's filter with the optional Donaldson PowerCore element, which is what Ford has used on their Diesel SuperDuty trucks. It is a GOOD filter. As for the rest of them, though, you're right.
Until only a few years ago, almost anything you did to the exhaust was an improvement. But lately the truck makers have FINALLY figured out that a free-flowing exhaust helps in every way. For example, Flowmaster's dyno chart for their best system for the Ford Raptor shows a total 5+/- HP across the band over the stock system, which told me that the Raptor OEM exhaust would work just fine behind my 5.0 and I'm very happy with it.

smokersteve 02-11-2013 06:08 PM

Good to know ^^^^^ :)

Any new ideas??

Gary Atsma 02-11-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 12827961)
Good to know ^^^^^ :)

Any new ideas??

Watcha wanna know?

smokersteve 02-11-2013 06:21 PM

General question for the forum on new mod and upgrade ideas :)

Gary Atsma 02-11-2013 11:28 PM

On the subject of air intakes, I had a K&N kit on my '03 F250 6.0 and NEVER saw any improvement in power or mileage. Turns out the best intake one could have on that truck was the one that came on it, though that is not true for all trucks. As many know, the Donaldson PowerCore filter is OEM on all Ford 6.0 Diesels. Don't know if that's true for the later units. Once I saw that Volant was using the PowerCore as an option in their air intake kits, I knew that would be what I would use IF I decided to upgrade the intake system. I will not use something that will not improve the total efficiency of the system involved. In other words, even if there is no improvement in power or fuel efficiency, I know I will have better filtration on board. That's how sold I am on the Donaldson PowerCore filter. It is THAT GOOD.
(ok, now getting off soapbox....)

'78F250351m 02-12-2013 07:05 AM

Wow those are expensive, (the Volant intake systems that is). They look very high quality though as mentioned above. Has anyone installed one on the 5.0 yet? Hows the fit?

smokersteve 02-22-2013 12:03 PM

2 new parts and 1 new mod added to the list.

Gary Atsma 02-22-2013 03:45 PM

I am curious as to why you would block the PCV at the manifold and vent the fumes to the atmosphere. Not a good move, as those fumes are flammable and letting the engine burn them actually improves fuel mileage. Way back when PCV valves were first implemented, the engines actually got a little more gas mileage due to burning those fumes formerly vented to the air. Besides, those fumes are pure smog, so what's bad for our air is actually pretty good for the engine. There is nothing corrosive in those fumes to harm the engine, so nothing good can come of blocking the PCV at the manifold. The PCV valve is actually a "smog device", to use an old term, that actually does some good. Don't disable it! You'll gain nothing in power, and lose mileage.