Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Carr Super Hoop Steps. Good quality or not? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220870-carr-super-hoop-steps-good-quality-or-not.html)

RedDevil460 02-01-2013 08:24 PM

Carr Super Hoop Steps. Good quality or not?

I have a 1988 F350, which is lifted 7 inches on 38s so it needs some steps.:-X04 I was looking at the Carr Super Hoop Steps, but was not sure how good their quality was. I have heard that they were pretty good, but some people thought they could be a little stronger and needed some heavier duty parts. So they bought extra parts to replace the weak ones.

So I was wondering if you guys thought that the steps are strong enough bought new, or if you guys think they need to be beefed up a little. And if they do what parts need to be replaced.

I was looking at the polished version and was wondering how the finished lasted. I was also wondering what is a good place to buy them from. So feel free to share your guys opinions/expereriences with the steps. Thanks for any help in advance.:-X22

GuitarJesus 02-01-2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12787378)
I have a 1988 F350, which is lifted 7 inches on 38s so it needs some steps.:-X04 I was looking at the Carr Super Hoop Steps, but was not sure how good their quality was. I have heard that they were pretty good, but some people thought they could be a little stronger and needed some heavier duty parts. So they bought extra parts to replace the weak ones.

So I was wondering if you guys thought that the steps are strong enough bought new, or if you guys think they need to be beefed up a little. And if they do what parts need to be replaced.

I was looking at the polished version and was wondering how the finished lasted. I was also wondering what is a good place to buy them from. So feel free to share your guys opinions/expereriences with the steps. Thanks for any help in advance.:-X22

Not sure how old mine are. Finish has faded I'd say at least a decade old or older. But they are still quite functiona, and the previous owner weighed 280+lbs

RedDevil460 02-01-2013 10:47 PM

Thanks for your response. The finish isn't a huge deal, was just wondering, but I will still try to keep them as good looking as I can. Yeah I'm a pretty big guy too so they need to be pretty solid. So do they feel solid to you or do they feel weak, and do you know if the previous owner changed any of the original parts to them?:-X22

GuitarJesus 02-01-2013 11:06 PM

No parts changed. Biggest thing to worry about is rust on the rocker panels. You get that and you're screwed. Then the metal weakens and those nice steps are gonna break the rockers off the cab

RedDevil460 02-01-2013 11:19 PM

So what are they mounted to the frame or the rocker panel or something else?:-huh

GuitarJesus 02-01-2013 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12788212)
So what are they mounted to the frame or the rocker panel or something else?:-huh

I'm pretty sure just the panel. If you press down you can feel body flex. You wouldn't feel that with that thick frame if it was through the steel like that

RedDevil460 02-01-2013 11:35 PM

Ok. So is that how regualar nerf bars and running boards are mounted too? Becuase if they are then I would feel more comfortable about the step being mounted the same way as other things that I know are pretty solid.

GuitarJesus 02-02-2013 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12788236)
Ok. So is that how regualar nerf bars and running boards are mounted too? Becuase if they are then I would feel more comfortable about the step being mounted the same way as other things that I know are pretty solid.

to be honest I don't know, I always assumed because of the amount of flex that they were both it through the rocker panels. When I get home from work tonight I'll take a look at my truck, and I'll see where the bolts go through and I'll let you know

RedDevil460 02-02-2013 12:18 AM

Ok. Thanks a lot.:D. I just want to make sure that I would be getting something sturdy for my truck and that it will last.

GuitarJesus 02-02-2013 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12788306)
Ok. Thanks a lot.:D. I just want to make sure that I would be getting something sturdy for my truck and that it will last.

I took some pictures to show you, shoot me a private message with your email or your cell phone number and I'll send them to you

RedDevil460 02-02-2013 12:27 AM

PM sent.:D

GuitarJesus 02-02-2013 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12788324)
PM sent.:D

Jon did you get the pictures?

RedDevil460 02-02-2013 01:05 AM

Yup I got em. Thanks a lot. They cleared things up a little bit. They do look to be mounted pretty sturdy to the truck. Do they come down pretty far to make it easier to get into. I know you can adjust them, but either way I will definitely be getting these for my truck. Again, thanks a lot for your help.:-X22

RedDevil460 02-02-2013 01:10 AM

I just took another look at the pics and noticed that you have an older style, because the new have an adjustable mounting system so you can adjust the height and angle. Which is pretty cool. Just pointing it out.:-X22

GuitarJesus 02-02-2013 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 12788377)
I just took another look at the pics and noticed that you have an older style, because the new have an adjustable mounting system so you can adjust the height and angle. Which is pretty cool. Just pointing it out.:-X22

Yeah mine are ancient. Good to know, once I do my 4x4 conversion I'll have a few extra inches in elevation. I'll need a steeper angle perch