Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Super Duty redesign? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220787-super-duty-redesign.html)

Tom 02-11-2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake (Post 12827613)
The two main reasons are durability and capability. It is hard enough to keep front end alignment as it is on a solid axle truck....I would hate to have to deal with IFS. The light trucks like our F-250/350 models aren't much of a problem but the higher class trucks have so much weight on the front axle that things actually bend over time. Fleet drivers are hard on vehicles, they would make short work of an IFS set up. We have tons of front end problems with our 2500 GMC trucks. If they can barely hold together in a 3/4 ton truck, then there isn't much hope for the higher class trucks. When GM was building medium duty trucks, they came with solid front axles.

The F-650 and -750 have virtually nothing in common with the Super Duty trucks other than the name. And to the rest I'll post yet another pic:

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/foleya...67L7R5MNQ5zh7l

It most certainly can be done. GM recently beefed their IFS setup for 2011, and it's rated at the same 6,000 lb GAWR that the D-60 is rated for under the Super Duty. Has your business broken any of those?

ON edit: How many here were part of the crowd that decried the use of aluminum heads on a diesel engine? Everyone swore it would never work, that headgaskets would be lifting left and right. I've been the forum mod for the 6.7L forum for nearly two years now, and I have yet to hear of a single headgasket problem. In fact we have one example that was recently posted of a 6.7L truck with over 500,000 miles on it with little more than regular maintenance done to it. What about twelve years prior, where everyone said the same about aluminum heads on a HD gas engine? Every modular engine built has come with aluminum heads, and those are well known for lasting longer than the vehicles they install them in even with heavy towing use.

If everyone was as afraid of change as many on here are we would never have any kind of improvement or forward progress. Today's vehicles share virtually nothing in common with vehicles 100 years ago, and by most regards they are the best ever made in history. That wouldn't be possible unless people were willing to challenge the norm and innovate.

grm61 02-11-2013 09:27 PM

I am buying a super Duty because I want a solid front axle.

As far as the solid vs IFS off road, lets say on a trail....or rockcrawling, there is no comparison.

The IFS lacks leverage...and only so much droop can be built into an IFS setup.

On a solid axle, one side is pushed up, the other side is levered down=traction

Are most of these Super Dutytrucks used like this? No

Could most of these trucks live fine with a sturdy IFS? Yes

Are there folks that buy these trucks because they dont want IFS? Yes.

Some folks just want a solid front axle...Me included

Snowseeker 02-12-2013 07:28 AM

Independent suspension can be built to take the weight just like any other suspension. It just take more money and they don't like putting money into vehicles.

Strait axles are cheap and easy 1840 technology, hence more cash in fords pockets.

Personally I don't want to see any axles, just independent wheels and drives. ;)

maverick22 02-12-2013 10:28 AM

Sure you can design an IFS to take the abuse, all it takes is money. But the question for me is what does it improve and is that improvement worth the added cost? In other words, a cost-benefit analysis. About the only improvement I see is the better ride - not a big concern for me and certainly not worth the added cost.

I'm not at all against new technology, but only when it offers improvements over existing. I'm also a big fan of the "if it aint broke don't fix it mantra".

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 12830046)
Personally I don't want to see any axles, just independent wheels and drives. ;)

See, now that's new technology I could potentially get interested in! But that's a ways out and until it's more mature it's way too expensive.

Firekite 02-12-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 12827897)
And to the rest I'll post yet another pic:

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/foleya...67L7R5MNQ5zh7l

Uh-huh. And how much does that suspension cost just to make, no design and maintenance costs even factored in? Would you be willing to spend an extra 10 grand for a bulletproof 1-ton IFS system that would also cost nearly that to lift?

Originally Posted by senix (Post 12827508)
I'll take a couple copies of that Sir;)

Originally Posted by MitchPeters (Post 12827722)
Exactly!!!

I don't see how y'all are calling those fenders "square" exactly, but other than limiting tire size I guess they're alright.

Firekite 02-12-2013 11:42 PM

You know, I was thinking about it, and I wonder if IFS can be just as simple, durable, and reliable as a solid axle, then why not make the rear IFS as well? Talk about a great ride...

senix 02-13-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Firekite (Post 12833438)
You know, I was thinking about it, and I wonder if IFS can be just as simple, durable, and reliable as a solid axle, then why not make the rear IFS as well? Talk about a great ride...

Ram has done something along that line in their 1/2 tn with the coils..It reduced the payload and towing ability.

redford 02-13-2013 06:25 AM

I say we should keep the Dana 60 front axle, but I would love to make a few changes.

First, ditch the weak steering gear box. We need something stronger.

Second, upgrade the power steering pump. Again, these trucks need something stronger.

Third, a geometry redesign to get rid of death wobble.

Snowseeker 02-13-2013 07:47 AM

And take about 3000 pounds out of the trucks.

MisterCMK 02-13-2013 07:58 AM

If you take 3,000lbs out of the truck you have a half ton.

Snowseeker 02-13-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK (Post 12833765)
If you take 3,000lbs out of the truck you have a half ton.

Or a OBS that can haul its intended payload without over loading the tires. ;)

Firekite 02-13-2013 01:48 PM

How exactly would you strip 3,000 lbs out of an F250/350?

Originally Posted by redford (Post 12833552)
Third, a geometry redesign to get rid of death wobble.

Geometry? Any solid steering axle can develop "death wobble" (most people think any little shimmy is death wobble), but there's nothing much any "geometry" can do about it. You can generally nip it in the bud by balancing tires (sometimes a road-force balance may be required) and identify which steering components are worn or loose.

dualwheels66 02-13-2013 05:45 PM

Actually I like my truck when it's heavy. When you are towing something heavy you don't want the trailer tossing or pushing you around, it's not a good feeling. We know our trucks have a few weaknesses, I would like Ford to do a better job at training their tech's, especially ones who can only fix stuff if they get a code. When a tech does his job right, the customer shouldn't have to come on forums like this one and whine about their dealer. Okay rant over.

powerstroke72 02-13-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dualwheels66 (Post 12835513)
I would like Ford to do a better job at training their tech's, especially ones who can only fix stuff if they get a code. When a tech does his job right, the customer shouldn't have to come on forums like this one and whine about their dealer.

Agreed.:-X22

MisterCMK 02-13-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 12833770)
Or a OBS that can haul its intended payload without over loading the tires. ;)

Can I get a 6.0 in the truck so it has some seeds? :D