Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   single mass flywheel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220096-single-mass-flywheel.html)

Christof13T 01-29-2013 04:53 PM

single mass flywheel?

So im about to yank the motor on a 94 to investigate the horrific noise coming from between the motor and tranny.

Its got a 5 speed.
4x4.
All stock.
At idle in neutral there is an ungodly scraping noise..
I will try to take a video and post soonish.

Whats the deal with single mass flywheels?
The trucks owner thinks that is what will cure this problem.
He doesnt complain about any clutch issues or strange vibrations at his feet.

Could this be pilot bearing?
Someone else has suggested that this flywheel may be separating.. maybe?

When i get it torn down and it does turn out to need a flywheel... what part # would you guys recommend?

zarrinvz24 01-29-2013 05:23 PM

I too am wondering about potential benefits of the single mass flywheel. My current dual mass setup causes the engine to change pitch a bit when the pedal is fully depressed.

fordpride 01-29-2013 05:34 PM

You don't have to pull the motor. I bet if you pull the clutch inspection cover you'll have some ball bearings in the cover from the DMF. The DMF is a two piece flywheel that dampins the gear rollover noise. Going to SMF will create some gear roll over noise.

The main benefit is you don't have to worry about the DMF flying apart and destroying the trans or block.

madpogue 01-29-2013 06:13 PM

^^^^ Also, when you've got the inspection cover off, try to turn the pressure plate a little. If it turns relative to the forward part of the flywheel (part with the ring gear), the DMF is ready to let go.

Christof13T 01-29-2013 06:36 PM

Either way... oil pan seal, dipstick flange seal, oil cooler, maybe timing cover seal too...
Easier for me to take care of everything at once with motor out.

Any suggestions for replacements.. either single or dual mass...

fordpride 01-29-2013 06:45 PM

Check these guys out. It's the best bang for the buck
Performance Clutch - Ford PowerStroke

fordpride 01-29-2013 06:48 PM

Go SMF and not have to worry about it flying apart

Diesel_Brad 01-29-2013 06:56 PM

I second the Valair

Christof13T 02-01-2013 03:13 PM

So valair it will be when it comes time to place orders.

Now...
Plucking the motor..

On my 2000 i had to pull the turbo for clearing the cowl...
Looks like i have more room with this 94...
You guys had good luck going str8 up and out or still better to tear down the nose?

Anything in particular i should keep in mind in regards to orientations, alignment issues, or bracing i should do for the trans?
Used a ratchet strap on my 4r100.
I will need to pick up a clutch alignment tool too unless the one for small block gassers fits.
This will be my first diesel flywheel/clutch job.

Talyn 02-01-2013 04:24 PM

Midnight Mods: Dual Mass Flywheels For Dummies

Christof13T 02-01-2013 06:13 PM

What i found under the inspection cover...

[Url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hatMBh9u3CE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

madpogue 02-01-2013 07:17 PM

Stick a (pun intended) fork in that flywheel; it's done. Speaking of which, when you do the clutch/flywheel, look into a new clutch fork from Ford; IIRC, there's a TSB regarding a new improved version.

Oh, and while you have the cover off, does it have a lip jutting forward from the front edge? If so, grind or snip it off; it's been known to vibrate up against the engine oil pan and "saw" through it. New version doesn't have that lip, but the mod costs zero.

Eeeek, a Fram oil filter!.....

fordpride 02-01-2013 07:20 PM

A new line up tool will come with the new clutch

Christof13T 02-01-2013 08:18 PM

Yup...
Been scared to see what the air filter looks like..
Trust me... this guy is going to get educated about his truck...

FI460 02-01-2013 08:54 PM

Minor hijack, but does anyone know if south bend sells just a flywheel? All I see is clutch and flywheel kits...