Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Big Favor Needed. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1219492-big-favor-needed.html)

Larzon 01-27-2013 04:17 AM

Big Favor Needed.

With spending all my money from my paycheck on parts for my 91 F150 and Blazer, I didn't have enough to get a Chiltons.

Can someone do a write up on how to replace a head gasket for me? The engine is a 300 I6 EFI.

I plan on doing it this coming Saturday and it would be greatly appreciated. I am in possession of all the parts I need along with tools, just no good book on which to follow along with as I work.

This is my first truck so it is a learning experience for me. You will be helping a 16 year old get his truck back on the road.

Thanks,
Alex

bashby 01-27-2013 06:46 AM

Check Autozone.com They have a repair guide section that may have what you need. You will need to register to access the guide, but it's free to do it.

jrwhitmire 01-27-2013 09:14 AM

You may also be able to geta a repair manual which would cover a generic head gasket replacement job from your library, probably not specific to your engine, but still helpful.
Take pictures before disassembly to aid in re-assembly, label electrical and vacuum connections, and soak your exhaust studs in PB blaster or something similar beforehand a few times, if you don't have a torch. Be careful taking apart the elec and vac connections that you don't break them, especially if you're working in the cold, they can be brittle.

Loosen headbolts from outsides first, working inward, and from inwards to out if you can't find the exact sequence. Don't torque to max on first step, do several steps.

Clean the head and block deck surface good, and look for defects in the surfaces, especially if the gasket has been blown for some time. Look for cracking between the valves, if the truck has been overheated badly.

Best of luck!

rla2005 01-27-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Larzon (Post 12763057)
With spending all my money from my paycheck on parts for my 91 F150 and Blazer, I didn't have enough to get a Chiltons.

Can someone do a write up on how to replace a head gasket for me? The engine is a 300 I6 EFI.

I plan on doing it this coming Saturday and it would be greatly appreciated. I am in possession of all the parts I need along with tools, just no good book on which to follow along with as I work.

This is my first truck so it is a learning experience for me. You will be helping a 16 year old get his truck back on the road.

Thanks,
Alex

Investing in the right tool for the job is highly recommended. If you cannot afford a manual then you have some serious decisions to make. Concentrate on one vehicle or the other. Invest in a good manual or two and some good quality hand tools.

Trying to beg, borrow or steal one (j/k!) is going to lead you into bigger problems ($$) in a short amount of time. What's the old saying?.......a penny wise and a pound foolish.

Puddy 01-27-2013 02:01 PM

Here this will help
Ford 4.9L-300ci-S6 Torque Specifications - TorkSpec - Knowledge for the Motorhead

Larzon 01-27-2013 07:24 PM

I ended up getting one free from my cousin. He sold his truck so he had it laying around and what not.

Yaga1973 01-28-2013 09:41 AM

That's good to hear. I recommend that you have the head examined by a machine shop to make sure it is straight and crack free before slapping it back on there. The last thing you want to do is put a bad head back on just to be doing the job again in the not so distant future. Let us know if you need help along the way.