Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   1967 F250 Automatic steering column busted (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1217304-1967-f250-automatic-steering-column-busted.html)

67F250RET 01-17-2013 01:31 PM

1967 F250 Automatic steering column busted

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys thanks for reading the thread, when I bought my 67 the shifter was relocated to the floor. Actually through the floor with just a rod, kind of sketchy actually. The steering column was apparently destroyed years before and the guy improvised. I removed the steering wheel while rewiring so you can see the damage in the pictureI'm hoping someone has thoughts about where to acquire a rebuilt column or a used one that works. I haven't ventured to a pick a part yard yet...and I know I can buy a new fancy tilt wheel column for $800 plus. I like original though. I just missed the Pomona swap meet and there is nothing for sale posted online, hasn't been since I bought the truck two years ago.

Can a later year column be used without any modification? Can a novice to moderate wrencher like myself rebuild the one I have, are the parts even available?

The Hooker headers I selected say they aren't compatible with floor mounted shifters and the headers are in and not coming out. I'm not sure if thats true or not but I would rather shift the truck from the column anyways. Thannk you in advance for your thoughts.

NumberDummy 01-17-2013 01:44 PM

D5TZ-7228-A (replaced C5TZ-7228-A & B, C9TZ-7228-A) .. A/T Shift Collar Kit-Includes plastic dial pointer / Available from Ford

MSRP: $65.98 // FTE Ford Dealer Parts Dept sponsor silverstatefordparts.com price: $46.72 ~ Gaudin Ford, Las Vegas NV

Applications: 1965/77 F100/350 / 1973/77 Bronco.

Notice the original dial pointer is made as part of the collar. The replacement collar has a slot in it for its plastic pointer to slip into.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to eliminate the shift collar altogether, use this:

C3DZ-3790-A .. Steering Column Extension / Takes the place of the shift collar when the shift lever is on the floor / Obsolete

Applications: 1961/77 F100/350 / 1963/65 Falcon/Fairlane/Galaxie / 1965/66 Mustang.

Besides the millions of trucks that came with this extension, over 1,600,000 1965/66 Mustangs also came with it, so it's not that hard to find.

Pomona swap meet, maybe. A lotta walking in the hot sun looking at Chebbie and rusty Model A & T parts. Mustang resto shop would be a better choice.

Give Bo a call at Mustang Service Center in North Hollywood (818-765-9266), ask for the part number, Bo will know exactly what it is.

67F250RET 01-18-2013 08:53 PM

Thank you Bill I always appreciate your feedback, I saw the first collar you suggested before from a different site but I think there may damage to the internal shaft as well. I know I can get the diagram of the steering column and some parts from LMC...I'm wondering if I can do the work to rebuild most if not all of the column or save my time and replace it. 48-1042 STEERING COLUMN-PAINTABLE There's no power steering or assist so I'm not sure how the tilt wheel mechanism will handle it. Thank you again for your assist.