Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   REMOTE START QUESTIONS -OEM vs. OTHER BRANDS AND RANGE (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1216547-remote-start-questions-oem-vs-other-brands-and-range.html)

2005X 01-13-2013 11:04 PM

REMOTE START QUESTIONS -OEM vs. OTHER BRANDS AND RANGE

Just picked up 2010 Exp EL/EB and going to put in remote start ASAP. Was hoping to find one for sale with it "factory equipped" but did not happen.

I know (or at least have been told) that the "Ford" factory system is a re-badged code-alarm. And the pricing from Ford dealer seems reasonable, like the simple one-button remote since the lock/unlock buttons are in the key, that is all I need. I would like to know the expected range to transmit and start the car? Has anyone tested it up to or past 2000 feet? Is it a 2-way system, where a light flashes / beeps to let you know on the remote side that it started?

Other options like Clifford / Viper (DEI brands) seem reasonable as well and I have found a couple stereo shops that I would trust their installation, have pretty good reputations (better than Best Buy for instance). However, they are pricier, at least from what I am seeing. Also, they have told me the 2000 ft range claimed by Clifford is straight line outside, not from in a building, etc... Their recommendation for me is the Smart Start system by DEI / Clifford, which by the time you add in the bypass box will be about $550 installed. AND about another $120 if you want a remote for it, otherwise you must use the smart start app on your smart phone. The benefit is not worrying about range since it is basically calling the unit, you could be anywhere as long as you have your cell phone.

My 2010 is still under warranty, although I am at 33K + miles, so not for long other then "powertrain" which won't matter. So, not too worried about the warranty part of it. The range to start is the big deal. At my office I want to starte few mins before walking out and I'm on the 4th floor, sometimes get lucky but most often will be close to the 1500 - 2000 feet range.

Thanks for any feedback...Geoff

Tim Jones 01-14-2013 05:14 AM

The factory remote start is only the range of your factory keyless entry. And I haven't seen any with 2 way or smart app start. There are way better systems if that is what you need or want. I just installed an addon only remote start using my factory FOB but that is all I wanted to start the truck from outside my house. Nothing fancy on it but really cheap DIY job. Not for everyone though as it takes many many hours if you have never done it before. After the first time it could be done much faster so it doesn't take a life time experienced person to do it.

Coolstart and viper are very good systems but buy a kit with instructions if you DIY so you get all the parts together. If not then Bestbuy is worth a try to pay for an aftermarket system that can do anything you think you need.

2005X 01-14-2013 03:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback Tim.... I checked today from my office window to where I park with the key / remote unlock and it does not reach. Even if the range with the start is a little better, will be too close for comfort.

I will either go with the LC3 Viper (or similar) which advertise up to / approx 1 mile range or go with the Smart Start. The LC3 has a lcd screen which looks cool, but wonder how long will last if dropped in the snow or banging around with change in my pocket over the wintertime?

I like the idea of the phone system because will always have the phone with me, can't think of needing to use the remote start where don't have cell coverage. However, there are apparently some monthly or yearly fees with that, so need to confirm what the extra costs are. Has anyone on here used the Smart Start (viper or clifford - by DEI)? If so, how much extra does it cost? Any issues?

Thanks,
Geoff.

cstanley44 01-16-2013 04:11 PM

Looks like SmartStart is between $4 and $7.50 a month
Viper - SmartStart Pricing