Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   1960 F100 small cab window to big window (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1214992-1960-f100-small-cab-window-to-big-window.html)

manlikesford 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

1960 F100 small cab window to big window

OK, I am finally taking out my truck project that has been sitting in my garage for a year. It is a small window cab F100 and I want to know if there is a way to make it into a big window cab. The guy I bought it from gave me extra roof with back window part of cab. I have found a Ch**y site that shows out to make the replacement, but nothing for Ford. Can it be done??? or do I just stick with my small window cab? I hope this made sense. Thanks for any info.

idaho211 01-06-2013 11:07 PM

Yes it can be done. There was an article back in classic trucks a number of years ago that converted a 57-60 cab to big back window. Are you going to do it or have a body shop do it? If a body shop I would be very choosy as to who does it so it doesn't come up mal-aligned.

thrifty 01-06-2013 11:35 PM

It is the same principle if it is Ford or Chevy.(that probably opened a can of worms) The main concern I would have is to make sure you brace the cab. Weld in braces before you cut anything. I would also keep the doors on so the cab does not shift. That way you can check and double check to make sure it's still lined up!

thrifty 01-06-2013 11:49 PM

Another thing to consider the time and money involved in doing a conversion. Maybe just get another rust free cab? It just depends the shape of your cab. And how far are you going with the truck. A full resto? And also do you have tools and garage space to do it. Just some things to take into consideration.

BurlyCrew 01-15-2013 07:15 PM

I've seen the replacement whole rear cab sections for chevy but I haven't found one for ford yet.... And just an easy splice in...

http://www.amazon.com/1955-59-Chevy-.../dp/B0042ZZO2S

BurlyCrew 01-15-2013 07:18 PM

Here's a good article..

Kirk Bates' Big Window Conversion

chetspencer 01-15-2013 11:11 PM

Iv'e been kicking the big window upgrade idea around for my 59 F100 also. If I do this, I would do the whole roof and entire back of cab so the only welding would be at the top of the front window pillars and the back of the floor pan, under the fuel tank. Does this sound reasonable? My floor pan and firewall are in good shape with no major holes, but my roof is rotted above the front window and the back of the cab has holes in the bottom corners so that's the basis of my idea. :-drink

BurlyCrew 01-16-2013 12:35 AM

If anybody has any luck finding a rear cab panel for Fords let me know....

BurlyCrew 01-16-2013 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by chetspencer (Post 12719719)
Iv'e been kicking the big window upgrade idea around for my 59 F100 also. If I do this, I would do the whole roof and entire back of cab so the only welding would be at the top of the front window pillars and the back of the floor pan, under the fuel tank. Does this sound reasonable? My floor pan and firewall are in good shape with no major holes, but my roof is rotted above the front window and the back of the cab has holes in the bottom corners so that's the basis of my idea. :-drink

Yeah I I'm pretty sure those whole rear cab panels separate at factory seams to make easy work of it...

bassfire 01-18-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by BurlyCrew (Post 12719898)
Yeah I I'm pretty sure those whole rear cab panels separate at factory seams to make easy work of it...

I did this about 15 years ago but had to use the bottom of the small window car. I cut the roof of the big window below the window opening and through the windshield posts. Would have been much easier if I could have used the complete back and if I had a wire feed at the time. Still worked out pretty good. Just remember to brace the part on the frame so it will stay in place. Hardest part for me was getting started. Just take plenty of measurements and don't get in a hurry. Good luck.