Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Brake Light Switch Location? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1214694-brake-light-switch-location.html)

jeffrey2 01-05-2013 06:33 PM

Brake Light Switch Location?

Okay, I know I'm not the smartest out there, but I also know i'm not the dummest.

My wife's Nav won't shift out of park easily, and when following her, i noticed her brake lites don't always lite up...classic switch issue.

I bought a new switch, but cannot figure out where the old one is, does anybody know where the brake light switch is on these cars?

Thanks!

jeffrey2 01-05-2013 06:34 PM

07 Nav if that helps any

JWC 3 01-05-2013 08:14 PM

Follow the brake peddle assy up . If it has adj. peddles it will be diffrent . Look for the actuator for the booster under the dash . It should be visable from there .

RI-Matt 01-05-2013 08:15 PM

Should be mounted to the brake pedal assembly bracket, I believe it has a plug with 4 wires going to it.

Careful when replacing it.

Removal

1.Disconnect the stoplamp switch electrical connector.
2.NOTE: The stoplamp switch will be difficult to remove if the switch plunger is not depressed. A slight rearward force should be adequate to depress the plunger.

With a light force (approximately 1-4 N [1-3 lb]), pull rearward on the brake pedal, rotate the stoplamp switch 45 degrees clockwise and remove the stoplamp switch.
Installation

CAUTION: It is very important to not press, pull or touch the brake pedal assembly during the installation of the stoplamp switch. Failure to follow these instructions may damage the stoplamp switch.

1.Without movement to the brake pedal assembly, install the stoplamp switch and rotate 45 degrees counterclockwise.
2.Connect the stoplamp switch electrical connector.

Matt

jeffrey2 01-06-2013 03:49 PM

Where is it?

Am I that blind? I can't see where it is?

RI-Matt 01-06-2013 06:29 PM

Follow the brake pedal up under the dash, where it connects to the adjustable pedal bracket, look just to the left of it, there will be grayish plug with a white wiring harness that has 4 wires going to it.

Can't miss it. ;)

See photo.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=119389

Matt

jeffrey2 01-06-2013 06:36 PM

The piece I got looks like a hook, is it the wrong part then?
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SLS255

RI-Matt 01-06-2013 07:00 PM

Looks totally wrong and part number doesn't correspond to Navigator or Expeditions.

How much was it at Rock Auto? The OEM switch is only $28 from Tasca.

Should lool like this.
More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 1S10920

Matt

jeffrey2 01-06-2013 07:30 PM

Thanks, I even ad my wife and 8 year old looking for my part...

JetFuelBurner 01-30-2021 04:15 PM

This is just what I needed.

My wife's 2010 Expy is +220K miles and showing her age. This problem cropped up a year or so ago but was intermittent and only seemed to do it when it was cold. Well it became permanent. I found a good youtube video that addresses the issue. Showed how to access the shifter assy and how to free it up so you won't be stranded. I had originally thought it was a sticky linkage or something. The video showed that as well but the author also said that if lubing doesn't work, check the brake lights. The brake light switch which sends power to the brake lights also sends power to the shifter lock. That was my AH HA moment. Sure enough, no brake lights.

Thanks so much for the instructions and the pictures. I located a replacement switch locally and had it swapped out in under 5 min. The instructions and cautions were right on.

Man I love this forum!!

svt98t 02-02-2021 08:01 AM

Had the same issue last year. Left it in neutral with parking brake applied for about a week until the part came in. Had to be selective of my parking locations, lol.
I bought the cheap-o $8 part from RockAuto and it's been working perfect since.
I did take the old one apart and attempt to repair/ see what was wrong; the plunger that contacts the pedal was stuck. So when you push the brake pedal in, it would not slide out, completing the circuit. I did get the old switch to work, while waiting for my new switch, except it only lasted like 3 tries before failing again.

-ryan s.