Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   gasser 4x4 same as diesel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1213038-gasser-4x4-same-as-diesel.html)

Greg5OH 12-29-2012 09:42 PM

gasser 4x4 same as diesel?

1990 Ford F-350 Pickup Truck - Ontario Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

1) i cant tell if its a d60, but looks pretty straight under there so im thinking it is...
2) is everything the same axle wise in the d60 from a gasser as the diesel, or are the springs weaker?
3) i have a 2rd zf5, does this have a married Tcase, or if divorced can i bolt it up to my current trans? i see that it has an auto

nice floors.

Rxracer27 12-29-2012 11:04 PM

That should be a King pin Dana 60. springs in a gasser are not the same. the diesel ones are rated higher if im not mistaken. but i could be mixing that up TTB and gasser. but the dana 60 is the same and good to go under a diesel.
Rob

Greg5OH 12-29-2012 11:20 PM

i was always under the impression that the king pin d60 is also superior to the BJ one?

Rxracer27 12-30-2012 12:04 AM

Yea thats what i have always heard is that the king pin were stronger.
Rob

Greg5OH 12-30-2012 12:23 AM

also, if i didnt find a cheap diesel 4x4 donor truck, id be looking for an np 205 divorced tcase, so i could just add it on. Fab work is no provlem for linkages and cross members.
do fromt dana 60s come stock with locking/posi differentials? And im assuming they have locking hubs?

id definiy want a locker or a posi on the rear as well. Did they make 10.25s with 3.55 with LS?

i found a guy locally selling from a 78 ford dana 60 front and rear, 3.54,355 for 500obo.

FORDF250HDXLT 12-30-2012 12:34 AM

i think that's just something to say more than anything.how often D60 guys replacing ball joints seriously?
it's probably something rock crawlers found out in jeeps or something,and it's got passed down and the guys running on the street figured they better have the better ones too.of course a tried and true D60 ball joint axle holds up so well that if you freshen one up during install,it'll probably outlive a 15-25 yr old truck 5 times over.
it is funny how we let ourselfs get carried away with a good thing.for that matter,it's not as if a d50 is worthless either.several have maintained them and driven for several hundreds of thousands.how bad is that really? can find those much cheaper.
let 'em go and they'll eat tires quick.just have to keep up on 'em.you can find those for a dime a dozen comparatively.a d50 pulls me along just fine.im sure it can you too.
either way though,it's a job for spring,summer and fall,so you'll hopefully be ready by next winter.:D
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ng-d-50-a.html

all that mess said,just sell the 2wd Greg and a buy a 4wd.it's not only easier,it's cheaper.
of course you know too,a little front wheel drive beater car goes great in snow.if you don't need the truck on the road,save it from the salt/calcium and let it eat up a little $300-1k beater instead.
you could get like twice the mileage during the winter in a little 4cly beater and cheaper fuel too boot.save money and save the truck.:)
i got one of them little fwd 4 cyl mazda 626.always over 30 mpg,rusty little beater.haven't taken it out in the snow yet.i bet she goes like a bugger.:D it's got a manual trans so i hate to drive it haha but it's cheap so i suck it up and run 'er whenever i can.

Opossum 12-30-2012 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg5OH (Post 12653924)
i was always under the impression that the king pin d60 is also superior to the BJ one?

Yes the axles are the same, and yes the King pin is better for most things but it depends on what you're doing. Neither however is THAT big of a deal over the other unless your doing serious offroading. The KPD60 is stronger, more durable, easier to install high steer and can help you fit larger tires. The BJD60 is easier to align and has less death wobble issues.

The larger tires thing is not something I'm 100% on. But it seams to me that the BJ setups both TTB and D60 have less distance between the BJs then the KP. This causes the tire to swing front to back more in the wheel well while turning increasing rub with larger tires.

tjc transport 12-30-2012 06:32 AM

ball joints need replacing every 100 to 140k miles. the kingpins have been in my 88 for 460,000 miles and never touched except for a shot of grease every now and then.

Phy 12-30-2012 01:13 PM

They didn't come with limited slip standard. The D60 under the front of my '93 F350 had auto hubs & an open diff...

tecgod13 12-30-2012 01:57 PM

My truck came stock with a limited slip 3.55 in the rear.

That truck will have a married transfer case. Like probably every 90-s Ford and I'd guess the 80's as well. Divorced transfer cases are old technology that require their own crossmember and mounts and a shorty driveshaft on the input end.

I'm going to agree with FORDF250HDXLT, sell your 2wd and buy a 4wd. Its cheaper and easier.

Greg5OH 12-30-2012 02:38 PM

No can do on selling my girl,
1) ill mever get anywher close to how much money and TIME i spent on it
2) i have this issue where i cant sell my cars (mainly as you lose so much money on the sale)
3) a different truck comes eoth its own problems, problems which i have all solved on my current truck,
4) finding a 4x4 crewcab around here is near impossible

FORDF250HDXLT 12-30-2012 03:05 PM

go with the little beater then.
that or have fun.post up lots of pics for us.this is usually the last we hear of it.the pics never come lol.good luck.
even the rare conversion threads,like the one i linked you too,i doubt he's still not done.ask him how the 4wd is working and see how his rubber is waring.

David85 12-30-2012 03:50 PM

I noticed that finding a decent 4x4 of this era is nearly impossible. Even years back when more of them were around, I had a heck of a time finding one that wasn't already thrashed. The 2wd I settled on is still what most would consider a beater but it was mecahnically and structurally sound.

To this day I still dream of converting it to 4x4 but time isn't on my side (Let the truck sleep all winter:-X16).

Greg5OH 12-31-2012 08:48 AM

yeah looking through 4x4 swap threads....looksto be much much much more involved than an auto to manual swap, and i though that wasa bitch lol.

wont be happening anytime soon...if ever...but well see.

now, i dont know why people dont like divorced tcases. IMO theyre way better since they HAVE their own mount. having a t case hanging off the end just seems sketchy to me. plus twin sticks are AWESOME!
i swear i saw an np 205 for $125 on local classifieds like 3 days ago but cant find it now..go figure

tecgod13 12-31-2012 08:56 AM

I didn't say I don't like divorced transfer cases, its just a more complicated setup.
For heavy duty wheeling, you're probably right about it being better. But you're not going to find a setup like that on any recent donor vehicle, meaning rarer to find. The driveshafts will likely need to be all custom built which means more $$.

If you're happy with your truck and like the project, you'll enjoy doing the work and have a truck you'll be proud of. You can also do the swap in several parts so the truck isn't down forever.