Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Just need to vent! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1210901-just-need-to-vent.html)

HkyswiM 12-19-2012 11:22 AM

Just need to vent!

So for the past few months I have been in contact with a guy to get a front and rear axle out of a crown vic for my F100. I posted an ad on Craiglist and got a reply so I made sure to tell the guy exactly what I needed. I even requested pictures of the exact parts he was going to give me, which he sent me. We agreed on a price and just couldnt find the time to get together to meet up since our schedules seemed exact opposite.

Meanwhile about a month ago he said he was coming my way and would drop the parts off but I was working. He then gave me a cheaper price if I picked the parts up from his place. When I tried to set a date up he changed the price on me to the original asking price even though I was going to pick them up at his place, which I felt was a decent price so I didnt care.

So a few weeks ago I told him to send me the dates for the next few weeks so I could set up a date and time. I also mentioned exactly what I was looking for again since it had been a few months and we all forget at some point. We set up a date and time, I got my money out of the bank, and was one day away from him bringing the parts down... and then......

I sent him a message with my phone number and asked him to contact me when he got close so I could be ready. Now for the first time he sent me a reply saying that the wheels and tires in the picture werent included (even though I asked for them originally) and he would charge me a little extra to get them since he "knew a guy" who was also selling those parts. He then claimed the picture he sent was of the whole front end and any parts place would know you dont get the wheels and tires included.

So I told him that if he didnt want to give me the whole front end like he planned then he didnt need to bother coming down.

I HATE!!!!!! going through all this trouble with people to have them try and scam you out of some more money! END OF VENTING!!!!!!! SIGH.

dmack91 12-19-2012 11:57 AM

Unfortunately, too many of us have had similar problems. I blame Craigslist for most of it since it is so easy to claim anything you want and there are no penalties if you are misleading (or just plain lying).

I pulled a trailer to look at 5 different trucks, all 1-200 miles away, only to find what they said the condition was didn't even come close.

A couple of examples - runs strong actually means if you replaced the top end of the engine that it could run strong.

Two different trucks with clean titles were correct - unfortunately the clean title didn't have the same VIN as the trucks.

Each time I just told myself that I was probably wasting my time and money, but eventually I found one that was worth hauling home.

Carolina 52 12-19-2012 01:01 PM

It is not going to be worth it in this case but after the ENRON scandel emails are admissiable evidence in court.(small claims also) They have become what is the eqivilance to a faxed document. A legal and binding contract between two parties.
Just for future reference.

HkyswiM 12-19-2012 03:20 PM

Thats a good point with small claims court. Although the process is sometimes rather slow and time consuming in my case the price of these parts wouldnt be worth pursuing this option. Ill just have to post my ad again, make sure its what they say, or else find a local parts yard that I can get them from.

It just stinks that you have plans for the parts and now they are delayed cause of people's false information.

19fifty4 12-19-2012 04:54 PM

No guarantee the outcome would have been any different but my experience has been to move fast while everybody is still motivated and the terms are still fresh in their mind. Seems like the longer you wait to execute the more issues that creep up. That's just my 2 cents. Tell the guy to pack it up his six and you keep looking. You'll find what you need.

qmanconfused 12-19-2012 06:10 PM

its these pissy times that make your triumphs more sweet. i've been stuck with a borrowed car hauler 100 miles from home and the f-100 was a 52 rather than a 54, not even close!!!. boy was i hot. some people don't even pay attention to what the accuracy is in what they list. the 54 ad is still in the paper for the 52 and hes duzzent care if it is, i guess...but, i've had good luck too.....but thats another story.

South of BC 12-23-2012 03:40 PM

I just met another FTEr this weekend. He met a guy at the local 'Pick and Pull' who hangs out there every time they bring in 'new' vehicles. You place your order with this guy, and when he sees what you want he pulls the part for you and calls. You then go and pay for the part from the PNP and give him his fee, which was very reasonable. Might be another avenue worth trying.