Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   03 F250 6.0 No Start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1206624-03-f250-6-0-no-start.html)

Hyperryd 11-30-2012 03:21 PM

03 F250 6.0 No Start

OK, I have an early '03 F250 Crewcab 4x4 Automatic with a 6.0. It has an Edge programmer that I normally run on 3, 4" MBRP exhaust, and a 4" lift with 35's. Otherwise it is stock.

I just had a HP oil leak this last March and replaced the HPOP, IPR valve, ICP sensor and all o-rings on the injectors including oil rail. The truck has run better than ever. I have only put about 3k miles on it since then. When I towed my toyhauler it did great.

About a month ago I noticed a very slight hesitation in the idle, but it didn't even show on the factory tach so I didn't think anything of it. A week later it didn't start after a long crank in the parking lot of Lowes. I waited a minute and tried it again and it started right up and drove fine. A few days after that on the first colder day here (40 degrees) I tried to start it and it just cranked and cranked. I have been super busy so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. I plugged in my scan gauge II and showed no codes. When I crank it over the ICP is only showing 20-35psi. I thought maybe the IPR was sticking so I put in a new one. When I pulled the old one the screen was pushed in and torn. I figure that was the problem and put the new one in. No change. I am a bit frustrated after such a big tear down only 3k miles ago and now it's down again. The parts I put in then were all International parts and like I said it has run great up until now? I notice the factory oil pressure gauge doesn't move while cranking. Should it? Where can I find out the low oil pressure. I'm not sure I have LOP for the HPOP to pump, but I also figure that would have put up a code or two.

Any ideas??

Rusty Axlerod 11-30-2012 05:05 PM

Does the oil pressure gauge come up when cranking? If so it's a good bet you're making at least 7psi LOP. You can also verify volume by pulling oil filter and and holding the drain valve down with a screwdriver and see if the oil filter housing fills. You could try cranking with ICP disconnected causing the PCM to default to 500 psi to verify there is't enough pressure to start. It's not uncommon to have problems with the IPR screen after major work but it seem like it went a long time before it showed up. No telling what was in the screen to push it in but your lucky if just changing the screen fixes the problem, often the IPR is trashed. Whatever it was may be in the IPR now, holding it open. Mike (m-chan) posted this up recently. I haven't tried it myself but might help you.

Checking IPR with a Digital Multimeter:

Pull out the middle PCM connector and ohm out pin #2 of the PCM connector (yellow with red stripe coloured wire) to the positive terminal of the driver side battery at key-on/engine-off. A good IPR should read about 6.0 ohms.

dannyboy950 11-30-2012 05:29 PM

There are no sensors for the pcm to monitor for the LP oil system, only a mechanical test from a testport on the bottom front of the filter houseing.
You can remove the oil filter and hold down on the drain valve and have an assistant roll the engine over the filter houseing should fill within a few seconds. Pull the ficm fuse so it can't start. If it doesn't then ya have a pump or regulator problem.
As for the dash gauge it only reads 7 psi more of an idiot light. The pcm does not even see this circuit.

BLADE35 11-30-2012 06:51 PM

Do the LPO Oil Check First Now

and Start Preying

sounds like something went threw it

BLADE35 11-30-2012 06:52 PM

the screen under the oil cooler is probably Bad

Hyperryd 11-30-2012 07:30 PM

I will check the LOP with the drain plug tomorrow. The gauge doesn't move when cranking. I replaced the IPR valve not just the screen and I also took the ICP plug off. No luck. If I don't have LOP what would be probable causes?

Rusty Axlerod 11-30-2012 07:53 PM

If you get no flow at the filter housing the easiest and least expensive is low pressure regulator. It's a plunger like set-up on the front covet near the crankshaft. Looking up from under the truck it's under a hex head plug just behind the crank pulley. It often has a drop of oil hanging on it :). Next is the low pressure pomp it's self. It's a set of gears behind the crankshaft pulley. Or the oil pump pickup tube in the pan. Sounds like you have some trash moving around you oil system. As Benny said, the big screen under the oil cooler is probably shot. Are you using the short oil filter cap and Raycor/Motorcraft oil filters?

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h...ion_System.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=108130

BLADE35 11-30-2012 08:54 PM

Thanks Rusty for posting that filters
check the oil filter First
Check regulator second

And if you suspect a Bad pickup you can add a qt or 2 of oil and see if it will flow LPO that usually enough to fill oil to leak and suck oil instead of air

Hyperryd 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

Well, I have the wrong oil filter (must have been changed by the oil change place, I ordered a stock one), but I do have LOP, or at least oil fills the filter housing nicely.

Next.

BLADE35 12-03-2012 09:00 PM

What About the Oil Filter Cap

If you have have the wrong Oil Filter then you have the wrong Cap to maybe you know that IDK

Atleast it has LPO thats a Very Good Sign your 20-30psi had me worried

The LPO Gauge shows good at 7psi like rusty says But LPO should be in the 70PSI Range

In RUSTYS Pic see the LPO regulator I have read a couple folks had there LPO Regulator Stick and dwouldnt build propwer Pressure all they did was pull it and clean it and was Back in Bussiness again

Hyperryd 12-03-2012 10:19 PM

Tall cap and tall filter. Exactly like in the picture. I just got back from having the batteries checked since it is cranking slow and one of them was bad. Not sure if that has any effect. I am charging the good one and installing the new one right now. I doubt any change, but at least I will get a good crank. The 20-30 psi on the icp still has me concerned. Can it be anything besides the HPOP at this point?

BLADE35 12-03-2012 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hyperryd (Post 12556023)
Tall cap and tall filter. Exactly like in the picture. I just got back from having the batteries checked since it is cranking slow and one of them was bad. Not sure if that has any effect. I am charging the good one and installing the new one right now. I doubt any change, but at least I will get a good crank. The 20-30 psi on the icp still has me concerned. Can it be anything besides the HPOP at this point?

Right you need Both OEM Cap & Filter

Best to change Both Batterys but is what it is worrey about it later

Usually a Wrong Oil Filter & Cap Alone wont cause this NoStart

But Maybe with the wrong cap and Filter and Bad Battery was just to much wrong and caused this IDK will see

If it still wont start after all the Above is Done you need to DeadHead the HPOP and see if you have a Weak HPOP

An AIr test is an Option too

Hyperryd 12-03-2012 10:48 PM

After I get this fixed I will replace the other battery for sure. I'm just scared of how much this is going to cost.... again. Hopefully if it is the HPOP, International will warranty it. It is only 9 months old and has 3k miles on it. I just really am not looking forward to pulling that intake again. We shall see.

BLADE35 12-03-2012 11:10 PM

Have you tried to Start the truck with the ICP Sensor Unplugged????

I assume you did

Hyperryd 12-04-2012 07:48 AM

Yes, no luck.