Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   POR15 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1205667-por15.html)

lowtrkn2k 11-26-2012 03:16 PM

POR15

Anyone know how long POR15 lasts unopened? I've had some cans sitting in my garage for about 3yrs now and have never opened the cans. The build went a little slower that expected and of course I thought I would have this thing on the road in no time flat...:-X19

I'm almost to the point where I'll be painting my frame but I'm not sure if these cans would still be good (assuming the product looks good when opened). I've searched online but haven't found anything regarding shelf life.

Doc 11-26-2012 03:25 PM

I can't speak directly for POR-15, but I can tell you my experience with Chassis Saver (which I imagine isn't very much different from the longevity standpoint). I actually opened and used the vast majority of that stuff about 18 months ago. I resealed the can and put it on a shelf. I opened it back up this weekend, and it looked like the day I opened it new. It went on well with no problems, and I couldn't tell a difference. So I'd say you're good to go. Just shake it up good obviously.

One more thing--DO NOT get those products on your skin. I slipped up and got some on my skin. I had to literally grind it off with one of those ?pumice stones. Nothing will get it off! Wear gloves!!

South of BC 11-26-2012 04:07 PM

I believe it states right on the can NOT to shake it, stir only.

Doc 11-26-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by South of BC (Post 12526665)

LOL. Good point. I forgot about that. Chassis Saver isn't as "picky". It just says let it sit for about an hour before applying if it was shaken. So my bad--"Stirred, no shaken". James Bond wouldn't agree, but that's another story.....

Chassis Saver also has a requirement that it be something like 50 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer. I'm not sure POR-15 has the same requirement....just something else to check before you crack open that can.

FortyNiner 11-26-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by South of BC (Post 12526665)

Roger that - stirred not shaken

lowtrkn2k 11-27-2012 11:28 AM

Thanks guys for the info. From what I understand POR15 works better with humidity so should I wait until it warms up again (next summer). I'm was little curious about what this will look like when I open the can since it's been sitting for so long in a hot garage.

South of BC 11-27-2012 11:49 AM

I'd say the most important thing is to not let it freeze. Which isn't likely to be a problem considering where you are!

G.R. 11-27-2012 12:24 PM

I have about a half-quart can that has been sitting in my shop for close to 6yrs now. I stored it upside down and opened it a few weeks ago to do a little touch up on the frame of my '55 Chevy and it was still as good as the day I first used it...
most solvent based paint products, if they are stored upside down, tend to last for quite awhile without gelling or going hard/bad.

gdub 11-27-2012 03:16 PM

I have some I bought about 10 years ago and finally used this summer, seemed to be good as new. It sat on a shelf in my unheated shop all that time.

lowtrkn2k 11-27-2012 03:27 PM

Well that's good news because I was worried that I'd lose what I have and never got to use it. I haven't even opened the box since it was delivered and that's at least 3 years. I'm finally getting to that point on my frame.

Jeff Olsen 11-27-2012 06:14 PM

one tip I would offer on using POR 15 told to me from a auto paint supplier I bought it from was to make sure to over coat it with another paint as soon as you can touch it with your finger tip and it does not come off onto your skin but still feels tacky. If not your will need to buy the POR 15 top coat at more cost as POR 15 hardens to much for a standard paint to adhere even with scuffing.

reg1952 11-28-2012 05:57 PM

I closed up my can 2 years ago and used a little a month ago and it was perfect.But when i closed the can I took my mig welder tip and shot a punch of gas into the can as I closed the lid.