Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Limited Slip rear end available on Expys? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1205261-limited-slip-rear-end-available-on-expys.html)

mrjones111 11-25-2012 12:11 AM

Limited Slip rear end available on Expys?

We're getting ready to buy a used 09-12 Expedition EL 4X4. I'm not seeing anything about a limited slip rear end. Was a limited slip rear available on those years? Looks like all the ELs come with 3.73s, is that correct?

RI-Matt 11-25-2012 08:46 AM

No limited slip available on any 3rd gen (07-up) Expy's.

Yes all EL's came with 3:73's.

Matt

SRT 11-25-2012 04:34 PM

Okay -- I'll bite.

Why is there no limited slip option on these -- or on the new ones for that matter?

Does the traction control work so well that limited slip differentials are passé?

RI-Matt 11-25-2012 05:09 PM

Yup.

Between the Traction Control, Roll Stabilty Control and AdvanceTrac systems there is no need for limited slip rears. The Expys aren't really designed for serious off roading and the electronic stuff allows for the less experienced and less responsible drivers to not worry about getting stuck.

Matt

johnkn 11-25-2012 09:02 PM

OP asked the exact same question two weeks ago, nothing has changed since then. Rear limited slip doesn't work with the standard traction control presently used. The limited slip would be in conflict with the traction control.

RI-Matt 11-26-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by johnkn (Post 12523944)
OP asked the exact same question two weeks ago, nothing has changed since then. Rear limited slip doesn't work with the standard traction control presently used. The limited slip would be in conflict with the traction control.

What's funny is I responded to that one too and never looked back at who asked it then. You just get used to people asking the same questions discussed in an earlier thread, either that or I must be getting old. :(

Matt

p.s. Expys wont have limited slip in another two weeks either. :-X04

mrjones111 11-26-2012 07:45 PM

Yep, give me the DA award for the month. I asked the question here and I guess I thought I was on another forum at the time. Maybe it was just the excitement. I think I've found a candidate for the new to me Expy. I was an original owner with a 98. Sold it in 2005 and bought a Dodge Durango. It's been a great ride, but I'm ready to get the family something a little bigger.

I appreciate the info and I'm looking forward to getting back into an Expy, even though I wish it had at least a LS rear.

And please, feel free, I know I deserve all the crap for double posting!

mrjones111 11-26-2012 09:53 PM

I did a little digging via the old 2011 Ford ordering guides and found that a limited slip rear WAS available, but only on the 17L Limo Package. That kinda sucks, doesn't it? Unless something falls through, I've about settled on the one I'm going to get. It's a 2011 XLT EL 4WD 203A with the Sport Appearance package. No limited slip of course.