Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   97 f250 460 efi - need power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1203448-97-f250-460-efi-need-power.html)

bakos 11-16-2012 02:02 AM

97 f250 460 efi - need power

90k auto trans -seems like its geared tall - always seems kinda gutless w/load for such a huge motor
Want to feed her some more air and get the exhaust flowing
Need thoughts on what to put on? Banks headers are still y-type -do I need dual pipes?
Is there a good cold air system for my truck?

Any thoughts on what works the best and fits rite?
Thanks
Mike - Portland OR

OverReved 11-16-2012 05:35 AM

What rearend gearing do you have? Some people want a big motor but then try to get better mpg by ordering the truck with taller gearing. Makes no sense to me but it happens.

bakos 11-16-2012 08:23 AM

Bought used at 60k - I did get the build sheet form ford, got to find it, all I can say rite now is tall. 70mph 2400rpm in o/d guessing off the top of my head.
Regardless I still want to open up intake and exhaust

Diesel_Brad 11-16-2012 08:37 AM

Sounds like 3:55 gears, not really the best gear in a 460 truck.
As for more power a BBK throttle body and free flowing exhaust should get you another 10-15hp

BrianDguy 11-16-2012 07:47 PM

Brad, do you have the BBK throttle body on your truck? If so, do you feel it is worth the money on a N/A truck, seeing as yours in supercharged?

From what I have read, the intake flows well without the air horns, but would the TB be choked by the stock intake, or would the intake still be able to supply enough air to it?

Diesel_Brad 11-17-2012 04:32 AM

LONG before I went S/C I put the Banks torque tubes and exhaust on. No necessarily for power but to do away with the prone to crack manifolds. Honestly, didnt notice much power increase. Then I replaced the Throttle body. THAT was the single most power increase I noticed on this truck before the S/C

bakos 11-17-2012 10:07 PM

Still trying to figure out exactly what to order. Looking thru the maze of stuff I'm narrowing it down a little

Q1 what is s/c? Doug's say c or sc
I guess headers will be either Doug thorley or banks - Doug's have c or sc ? =$200 dif

Q2 what trans do I have? (97 250 460 auto w/ od)

I want to get air - headers and catback system - now with that TB sound bite I will probably get one of those too

Looking at the banks complete systems but don't know about there muffler also guess I still would need a hi-flow cat? Or what there air gizmo is in there kit

If this project was on my carbureted 351stroker I would know exactly what I want - but specific parts on my truck is a hole new animal for me

I just keep hearing how you can wake up a stock 460 with air and exhaust so I'm itching to getherdone
Keep the thoughts coming
Mike

Freightrain 11-17-2012 10:22 PM

I've seen the stock Y pipe is really restrictive, so I would say any kind of upgrade there would help. Headers too?

My '96 F350, I bumped the timing up to 10* and it really helped, along with cutting the intake tubes. I never changed exhaust beyond a Superturbo muffler and turndown. Once I put the Vortech on it, that was the catz azz! Sure do miss that truck.

[IMG]https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=58658&.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=58652&.jpg[/IMG]

bakos 11-18-2012 09:34 PM

Yuck - poor neglected truck
Looking truck over - opened air box and found the paper air filter plum saturated with oil and filthy. Guess the little square filter is suppose to go in the bottom side of the box but it was just laying in a pile of goo in the bottom of the box. Might explain some gutless ness and bad mpg. (( no air. ))
I'll get that fixed now but still want to do my upgrades

Thinking I will just go with the full power pack system from banks? Plus add bbk TB and hi-flow cat (( any thoughts ))

bakos 11-19-2012 10:22 PM

Ordered power pack system from banks today. Bbk TB from summit. Started PB blasting all the nuts and bolts in my system. Found rt, rear manifold nut is broke off. I'm asuming all the studs come out to be replaced with bolts? Hope I can get that rear stud out! Never noticed any leaks. Anyway I'm replying to myself now. Any thoughts on my project please chime in
Mike

Lead Head 11-20-2012 10:33 AM

There are no studs in the exhaust manifold. Some of the bolts are "stud bolts", so they can bolt something else on top of the bolt.

bakos 11-20-2012 08:43 PM

Got tracking info from banks. Looks like pack will be here tues 27th.
Found aero-kroil in a store here in portland so ill keep hitting parts with it untill install

Was wondering about additional stuff I might need. Looks like might have a time with some of the air tubes x2 dr, side egr? And the port where cat hooks up on pass side manifold

Should I get new egr tubes. Cat. 02s ???
Sure would be nice to get it done in one shot

bakos 11-21-2012 10:31 PM

More parts on the way
Magnaflow - cat
Ford racing - wires
Msd - cap rotor & coil

Trucks getting the treatment this year. Just put on 4" skyjacker lift air bags and 35" nitto grapplers

That's
Skyjacker lift
Air bags
Nitto's
Banks power pack
Bbk TB
Cat, plugs, wires, cap, rotor

Have been waiting 4yrs sense I got the truck to save enough (and for the tires it came with to ware out) to do all this
I knew when I 1st saw this truck (all stock one 1" scratch on the hole thing) that it was for me

FORDF250HDXLT 11-22-2012 12:11 AM

if you thought she was gutless with 3.55's before,your just gunna love it soon with 35" tires lol.
perhaps you just forgot to mention the lower re-gear in your list of future mods?

Originally Posted by bakos (Post 12497043)
what trans do I have? (97 250 460 auto w/ od)

E40D