Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Those Of You Considering Deleting Your EGR and DPF (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1203405-those-of-you-considering-deleting-your-egr-and-dpf.html)

m-chan68 11-15-2012 08:56 PM

Those Of You Considering Deleting Your EGR and DPF

Press Release - H&S Performance

galaxie641 11-15-2012 10:12 PM

Knew that was coming and why I got the delete kit ASAP after warranty was out.

Makes you skeptical of any future updates H&S may be forced to put out by the same gvt. agencies.

FivePointo 11-16-2012 01:02 AM

Although this isn't a political forum. Once again government over regulation puts people out of work. Thank goodness I deleted everything already.

StanleyZ 11-16-2012 09:08 AM

We were talking about this on another thread. There were plenty of "delete" tuners for sale yesterday. Haven't heard anything from spartan but edge quit last year. looks like if you want one you better get one.

RM2738 11-16-2012 11:42 AM

Very skeptical of future updates. What if they're forced to remove the DPF Off option and don't disclose it? I've stored all the previous versions on a DVD so I'm good, but lots of people just use the H&S Updater and don't ever backup the files.

bigjr2 11-16-2012 02:54 PM

Wow looks like mine fell off at just the right time

StanleyZ 11-16-2012 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RM2738 (Post 12492129)
Very skeptical of future updates. What if they're forced to remove the DPF Off option and don't disclose it? I've stored all the previous versions on a DVD so I'm good, but lots of people just use the H&S Updater and don't ever backup the files.

Don't know what H&S might do but Edge is very clear about what the tuners will do now. They omit any mention of delete. I don't think any company would do less.

What I wonder is how they managed to pressure them into shutting down. There is a legit market for tuners to support off road and puller meets as well as farm and oil patch trucks that never see a highway. Interesting.

RM2738 11-16-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 12493432)
Don't know what H&S might do but Edge is very clear about what the tuners will do now. They omit any mention of delete. I don't think any company would do less.

What I wonder is how they managed to pressure them into shutting down. There is a legit market for tuners to support off road and puller meets as well as farm and oil patch trucks that never see a highway. Interesting.

It's the EPA. You can't fight the government.

galaxie641 11-16-2012 06:17 PM

I am sure a threat of a 5-6 figure daily or per unit fine from the EPA convinced them fairly quick.

parkland 11-16-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 12493432)
farm and oil patch trucks that never see a highway. Interesting.

Farm and oil patch trucks drive on regular roads too.
The only provision I know of, is that with farm plates you can travel XXX miles from you're farm with dyed fuel, after that you get a fine like anyone else.

dagren99 11-18-2012 06:41 PM

states are chiming in on this as well - VA recently amended part of the motor vehicle code specifically to address this type of mod. (basically the law states you can't tamper with or alter the emissions system) Luckily for me I deleted mine almost a year before the law was on the books but I won't really know if I'm ok until I go through a state inspection early next year. They don't do the tailpipe "sniffer" on this end of the state but the state inspection checklist does include inspecting emissions related hwde.

slowmans 11-18-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dagren99 (Post 12499872)
states are chiming in on this as well - VA recently amended part of the motor vehicle code specifically to address this type of mod. (basically the law states you can't tamper with or alter the emissions system) Luckily for me I deleted mine almost a year before the law was on the books but I won't really know if I'm ok until I go through a state inspection early next year. They don't do the tailpipe "sniffer" on this end of the state but the state inspection checklist does include inspecting emissions related hwde.

In case you didn't know its been a FEDERAL LAW for qiute some time, states have no say in what you can and can't delete. If your vehicle came with it, its gotta have it.

parkland 11-18-2012 07:03 PM

Thats why it's best left looking stock, like this :

https://i917.photobucket.com/albums/...stacks.jpg</a>

https://i790.photobucket.com/albums/...stacks.jpg</a>

:)

dagren99 11-18-2012 07:28 PM

That's not 100% true - CA has had "state specific" emissions regs for quite some time. Because the automakers don't want build 2 types of vehicles they typically comply to the stricter CA regs due to the size of the CA market. Same goes for OR & MA - they have state specific items that have to be complied with but they are nearly identical to the CA regs.

My 00 & 03 250/350 are examples - No CAT, No GPCM but yet our Exc came with both from the factory. Mechanically the only diff btw the 2 is the fact that Exc has a full body which put it in the SUV class which under CA rules req'd emissions controls put a truck body on it and the CAT and GPCM wouldn't be there.

Trucks built for the CA market (mostly ambulance prep 250's/350's & vans + excursions) in the same model year got CATs, GPM's and have a sticker under the hood stating as such.
Until the law was amended in VA all that was required was that you have a functioning exhaust system and that was all. The law is mostly targeted at people gutting the CAT on gassers.

slowmans 11-18-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by dagren99 (Post 12500044)
That's not 100% true - CA has had "state specific" emissions regs for quite some time. Because the automakers don't want build 2 types of vehicles they typically comply to the stricter CA regs due to the size of the CA market. Same goes for OR & MA - they have state specific items that have to be complied with but they are nearly identical to the CA regs.

My 00 & 03 250/350 are examples - No CAT, No GPCM but yet our Exc came with both from the factory. Mechanically the only diff btw the 2 is the fact that Exc has a full body which put it in the SUV class which under CA rules req'd emissions controls put a truck body on it and the CAT and GPCM wouldn't be there.

Trucks built for the CA market (mostly ambulance prep 250's/350's & vans + excursions) in the same model year got CATs, GPM's and have a sticker under the hood stating as such.
Until the law was amended in VA all that was required was that you have a functioning exhaust system and that was all. The law is mostly targeted at people gutting the CAT on gassers.

im pretty sure at some year ( not sure which) all vehicles are built with CA emmisions. My point was if it came with it it has to stay.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/707080.html