Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2011 5.0 engine knock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1202928-2011-5-0-engine-knock.html)

jrank 11-13-2012 07:46 PM

2011 5.0 engine knock

I have a 2011 xlt crew cab with the 5.0 v8.I have noticed a knocking sound at idle,it happens when the engine is cold or at operating temp.It doesnt do it all the time but more often than not.Anyone else have this going on?

04XLTRUNNER 11-13-2012 09:51 PM

My brother just went through this. Ford replaced his block because of worn rings and scared cylinder walls. I think it was more his fault though. He always reved the engine as soon as he started the truck and didn't give enough time for oil to circulate. Worst one was driver side farthest back.

jrank 11-14-2012 07:13 AM

I baby mine so thats not it.Anyone else notice this on their 5.0 engines?

blueovelboy 11-14-2012 11:46 AM

is it a ticking or a knock? a knock is not right! a ticking is OK, well its within specks according to ford

Pool Runner 11-14-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jrank (Post 12483120)
I baby mine so thats not it.Anyone else notice this on their 5.0 engines?

Mine has done this since new with 4 miles on the odometer. I would not worry about it. Like in you're case, as soon as the engine is at normal operating temps the motor is silky smooth and quiet. I get 22 mpgs on the hwy with my 2wd, scab, 3:55 rear axle 5.0. And it's not burning any unusual amount of oil. I have also been using fully synthetic in my motor as of 1,000 miles on the truck since new. It's also my work truck and absolutely doesn't get babied, but I don't just start it up cold and drive off without a proper warm up either.

I've also researched the knock with the 5.0L motor since I was worried at first about it, but everything online points to a characteristic of the coyote motor, very common on the Mustang forums. In other words it should only be of concern if it continues the knock after the truck is fully warm, which neither you're truck or mine does.

blueovelboy 11-14-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jrank;12481657[B
]it happens when the engine is cold or at operating temp.[/B]

even when its wormed up to normal temps

Originally Posted by Pool Runner (Post 12484173)
Mine has done this since new with 4 miles on the odometer. I would not worry about it. Like in you're case, as soon as the engine is at normal operating temps the motor is silky smooth and quiet..

maybe you didn't read what i read but i think its doing it even when hot

mikfitz 11-14-2012 05:00 PM

hey jrank 2011 platnium wit 5.0 motor had simialair issue tsb about a pully or something on the front of the motor tsb done no more noise wish i could remember exactly what it was gonna look up my paper work on it let ya know ok mike low end engine rap tsb 11-09-15 or tsb 11-07-01

jrank 11-14-2012 06:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.It is a very distinctive knock at certain times but it doesnt do it all the time.It may be normal but I doubt it and I sure wish it didnt do it!Sounds terrible!

jhinalabama 12-01-2012 01:28 AM

I just bout a 2012 f150 with the 5.0. I got what sounds like a knock coming from the bottum end too. Mine does it hot or cold but only at idle or just off idle. Trucks got 3500 mi. on it now. It almost sounds like it could be small back fires in the exaust manifolds. I don't know but it bugs the ***** out of me.

jhinalabama 12-01-2012 04:57 AM

I found this wright up, it may help.

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration built on or before 2/14/2011 may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the front end accessory drive (FEAD) and A/C compressor stretchy belt. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-05 Removal and Installation Air Conditioning (A/C) compressor belt - 3.5L GTDI, 3.7L, 5.0L. Does the knocking noise remain?
Yes, the knocking noise remains after removing the A/C stretchy belt. Do not continue with this article. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for further diagnosis
No, the noise is no longer present. Obtain the Drive Belt Kit proceed to Step 2.
Remove the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt from the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 - Exploded view.
Remove and discard existing A/C compressor to condenser discharge line and install new A/C compressor to condenser discharge line supplied in the Drive Belt Kit. Refer to WSM, Section 412-01.
Using a 8 X 1.25mm tap, clean the mounting locations noted on the engine front cover and use compressed shop air to clean any remaining debris. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 11-7-1

Install A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley and A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley bolt supplied in the drive belt kit onto the engine front cover top mounting location. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft).
Install A/C drive compressor belt tensioner supplied in the drive belt kit onto the engine front cover lower mounting location. Tighten to 25 N-m 18 lb-ft).
Install new A/C compressor belt supplied in the drive belt kit. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 R and A/C compressor belt - 3.5L GTDI, 3.7L, 5.0L referring to the 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles procedure for proper belt routing. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 11-7-1

Reinstall the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt onto the engine front cover. Tighten to 25 N-m(18 lb-ft). Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 FEAD - Exploded view 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
Reinstall the FEAD belt. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 FEAD - Exploded view 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) and identify the vehicle. Answer the IDS screen prompts according to the current vehicle A/C belt configuration.
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using IDS release 72.03 or later. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Perform misfire monitor neutral profile correction. Select IDS toolbox icon, Powertrain, Service Functions, then Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS

mechanic58 12-27-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jhinalabama (Post 12544808)
I just bout a 2012 f150 with the 5.0. I got what sounds like a knock coming from the bottum end too. Mine does it hot or cold but only at idle or just off idle. Trucks got 3500 mi. on it now. It almost sounds like it could be small back fires in the exaust manifolds. I don't know but it bugs the ***** out of me.

I have a 2011 FX4 with the 5.0L in it - I bought it brand new. I too began to notice this very subtle 'bottom end knock' somewhere around the 7 or 8k mile mark. It only has 12k on it now. I never notice it making any noise when its cold or during a cold start. The only time I ever notice it is after I have been driving it and I slow to a stop and the engine achieves an idle. It will knock very lightly for just a few seconds (15-45) and then it seems to clear up. I'm a mechanic and I have built countless engines over the years - it sounds exactly like a rod bearing that is just starting to get loose...like its just now getting about .001" out of spec.

ken l p 12-28-2012 01:40 PM

have same problem dealer said NORMAL not in my book will watch close and keep dealer notified if gets worse

Snowman 8 12-28-2012 07:49 PM

I have an 11 with 33000 miles with the same noise. Don't really notice it cold but can hear it when hot. I have heard it since new and doesn't seem to get any worse so I'm not to worried about it. It's not anywhere near as loud as the 5.4's that started knocking when they were fairly new and the company that I work for still has 3 of them that are daily drivers each with over 200,000 miles of construction use (abuse)! I'm not to worried about the 5.0 tick.

ken l p 12-29-2012 10:39 AM

still sounds like main bearing to me hope not this truck is noisy inside need to sound proof

center97 12-30-2012 09:25 AM

OMG! The 5.0 has issues? Whatever happened to everybody saying the 5.0 was better than the EB?