Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Engine making noise? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1201731-engine-making-noise.html)

SuperDuty93 11-08-2012 10:45 AM

Engine making noise?

So recently I've noticed that in the morning when I go to start my 390 (cold start), it fires right up BUT it makes a almost nocking type noise.... It goes duh duh duh ...... Duh duh duh ....... It has a few second pause in between but it also seems to stop once warmed up. Its almost a deep exhaust decible noise doesnt really sound like nocking on metal. I really hope it isn't a bad knock :/ anyone have any ideas?

SOB Racing 11-08-2012 02:32 PM

Try adding some thick oil like lucas oil additive it will help keep upper parts lubricated when motor sits. good place to start.

SuperDuty93 11-08-2012 04:22 PM

Already ahead of ya. I have the Lucas stabalizer in there with my last oil change. Few weeks or maybe a month ago. Um I'm going to check my oil level to see if I needto add any. Should I put in a bottle of break in cam oil stuff from Lucas every oil change cuz I heard it has zinc in it or something like that Whig is good for flat tappet cams and I have a newer cam in it and don't wana ruin it ( I broke it in like 8 months ago).?

SuperDuty93 11-08-2012 10:16 PM

ok well it was low on oil but even after i put a quart or 2 in and drove it, its still there. I got under the truck and i cant tell if its from the engine or mufflers. To me i think its coming from the mufflers or the X pipe but its to damn loud to hear haha

SOB Racing 11-09-2012 10:06 AM

If it goes away after warm up you might want to pull valve covers and check rocker arm to push rod clearance.

SuperDuty93 11-09-2012 11:17 AM

I just you tubed engine knocks to see what it would sound like and what I'm talking about sounds nothing like what was on you tube. Anyone have a video in particular that should sound like a knock in a 390?

Jimmyrig 11-09-2012 11:29 AM

Do you have catalytic converters on it? If so it could be a busted cat. Otherwise I'd go with valves. I had a strange knocking in my cherokee once. A month later I ended up with my rods and crank all over the road...

SuperDuty93 11-09-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmyrig (Post 12466786)
Do you have catalytic converters on it? If so it could be a busted cat. Otherwise I'd go with valves. I had a strange knocking in my cherokee once. A month later I ended up with my rods and crank all over the road...

But the thing is I'm not so sure it's a knock. Cuz it seems to be coming from the flow through the exhaust and the engine doesn't seem to be making the noise. And I don't have cats either. Umm ima try to identify the source again when I get home.

Jimmyrig 11-09-2012 11:40 AM

pick up a cheap stethoscope on your way home. Start at the valve covers and work down then back. Might be loud as hell but its like finding a stud in a wall.

SuperDuty93 11-09-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmyrig (Post 12466826)
pick up a cheap stethoscope on your way home. Start at the valve covers and work down then back. Might be loud as hell but its like finding a stud in a wall.

Dads a doctor so I already have a few :D and I think I can rule out a tick or engine knock cuz every you tube video I've watched is. Completely different then what I'm hearing. I think it has to do with my X pipe sobim 95% sure it's an exhaust sound from my new system..... I'll get the scope out and listen just in case though .

smokenchoken 11-09-2012 11:58 AM

9 times out of 10 its a blown exhaust gasket or even an exhaust donut i betcha thats what it is since its very common with all fe's