Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   No high beams (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1198592-no-high-beams.html)

stemo76 10-24-2012 08:16 PM

No high beams

So I have noticed that I no longer have high beams headlights. When I pull the stick back nothing happens. When I push the stick forward I get no lights. The blue high beam indicator does not come on either.

Any ideas? Sounds more like the headlight switch in the dash or the combo unit on the column?

crop harvester 10-24-2012 09:48 PM

not a expert on that circuit,but start process of illimination,by using a test lite or multimeter ,and check for power on highbeams at plugin at head lamp,try doing a search for more info here, should find a wiring schematic, and othe similar repairs.or wait for more knowledgible help.

stemo76 10-24-2012 10:36 PM

The headlight switch and the combo switch are both about 80.00. The headlight switch is pretty easy to change, not sure about the combo switch. Was just hoping to find someone else that has already done the troubleshooting. I am leaning towards the combo switch since the markers dash and low beams work without any issues.

Cmedic 10-24-2012 10:59 PM

I'm not positive on the fords but I do know I had a similar problem on a Chevy truck with the multifunction switch. On mine the wires out of the switch had broke in the column. It was very obvious what had happen once I got in to the column. It might be a good starting point. Have you tried to get high beams while adjusting the tilt steering up and down.

1fixitman 10-25-2012 12:21 AM

The markers and low beams are powered from a seperate fuse. The low beams EACH have a 10 amp fuse. That is correct. A 10 amp fuse for each low beam numbered 21 and 23. Fuse 15 goes to the fog lamp relay and is 5 amps. The High beams, both of them and the hi beam indicator come off of a single 15 amp fuse. The book indicates fuse number 16 but I would consult your owners manual. I will check and see if I have a manual when there is daylight. The multi-function switch passes the signal for low and high beam at the same junction. There is a possibility that the power cable coming into the switch is grounded. The dark blue/orange wire coming into the high/low beam switch is the power wire for the high beams and passes thru to a Grey/Orange wire to the fuse. After the fuse it changes to a Light Green/Black wire which goes directly to the high beams split on each side.

Check the wires and lamps for each high beam. It is likely some water got in the lamp wires and popped the 15 amp fuse to the high beams. Find the fuse for the high beams and check it. If it is blown then you need a multi meter to see if the system is grounded and to check which high beam might be a problem if any.
If you can not operate a meter then start looking for the blown fuse and trace the wires from the lights back as far as you can for nicks in wires or a possible melted wire. It probably will not be that easy to just replace a fuse.
Dwayne

stemo76 10-25-2012 06:09 PM

This is what I was looking for, these are great troubleshooting steps. this weekend I will take a look. I have a decent test light and multi meter. I will also try the column tilt while the high beams are on to see if they flicker. If they do then I know where my issue lies. I am the only driver so the wheel never gets adjusted but who knows, I haven't been the only owner.

Originally Posted by 1fixitman (Post 12410091)
The markers and low beams are powered from a seperate fuse. The low beams EACH have a 10 amp fuse. That is correct. A 10 amp fuse for each low beam numbered 21 and 23. Fuse 15 goes to the fog lamp relay and is 5 amps. The High beams, both of them and the hi beam indicator come off of a single 15 amp fuse. The book indicates fuse number 16 but I would consult your owners manual. I will check and see if I have a manual when there is daylight. The multi-function switch passes the signal for low and high beam at the same junction. There is a possibility that the power cable coming into the switch is grounded. The dark blue/orange wire coming into the high/low beam switch is the power wire for the high beams and passes thru to a Grey/Orange wire to the fuse. After the fuse it changes to a Light Green/Black wire which goes directly to the high beams split on each side.

Check the wires and lamps for each high beam. It is likely some water got in the lamp wires and popped the 15 amp fuse to the high beams. Find the fuse for the high beams and check it. If it is blown then you need a multi meter to see if the system is grounded and to check which high beam might be a problem if any.
If you can not operate a meter then start looking for the blown fuse and trace the wires from the lights back as far as you can for nicks in wires or a possible melted wire. It probably will not be that easy to just replace a fuse.
Dwayne

thomabb 10-26-2012 08:18 AM

Do your fog lights quit when you push the stick forward? Power through the high beam indicator circuit kills the ground for the fog lights. If you fog lights stay on when you push the stick forward, you probably have a blown fuse.

stemo76 10-26-2012 09:21 AM

My truck didn't come with fog lights installed or possibly they where removed. It was once a snow plow.

Originally Posted by thomabb (Post 12414507)
Do your fog lights quit when you push the stick forward? Power through the high beam indicator circuit kills the ground for the fog lights. If you fog lights stay on when you push the stick forward, you probably have a blown fuse.

stemo76 10-29-2012 07:21 PM

Diagnosis is complete. I saved 80 bucks by not having to by a combo switch but looks like I have another reason to buy a fuse box. Had to bend the fuse tab just a bit to get a better contact with the fuse box. This happened as well with my dome light and now I can't get it connect at all.

thanks for the help. I have hi beams again, at least for a while.