Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   96 PSD acting up- a little help please (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1197995-96-psd-acting-up-a-little-help-please.html)

superduty4x4 10-22-2012 09:45 AM

96 PSD acting up- a little help please

I'm trying to help someone get there truck back up and running. The guy called me and said it would start, run for about 30 seconds, then sputter and die. I took a look at it and hooked it up to AE, everything checked out fine but the ICP was all over the place, so I swapped the IPR with my spare and she lit off and ran like a champ. It needed a glow plug relay and I had to get going, so I parked it and told him I'd come back later and swap the relay out. When I did we tried to fire the truck up, and it wouldn't start. It would barely run at all, then sputter and die like it was starved for fuel. It would only restart if I shut the key off; if I just cranked it over again it would only crank- no fire. I fiddled with it and finally got it running again, he drove the truck into town and back (about a 10 mile trip) and when he got home he had it idling in the driveway and it sputtered and died again. Fuel filter is new, fuel pressure is good, no codes, new CPS, everything else checks out. The oil was about a quart low, not low enough from my experience to cause it to shut off and even so, that's normally a quick shut off like you turn the key off; not a sputter out and die situation.
I'm at a loss but I promised to get this rig back on the road. Any help would be appreciated.

fordpride 10-22-2012 09:51 AM

Have you tried unplugging the ICP ?

DIYMechanic 10-22-2012 10:35 AM

^^ 2x

What kind of oil is he running? Is it diesel rated? Any additives he might have dumped into it?

superduty4x4 10-22-2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by fordpride (Post 12399420)
Have you tried unplugging the ICP ?

Not on round 2, but I did during round 1 with no change.

Oil was BLACK and about a quart low, he was going to change the oil over the weekend.

fordpride 10-22-2012 08:31 PM

I don't think the oil is the issue. I've ran mine a gallon low before and (hate to say this) about 20k miles with out a oil change.

I'd try again with the ICP unplugged.
Have you checked wiring to the ipr ?

oldbird1965 10-23-2012 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by fordpride (Post 12401616)
I don't think the oil is the issue. I've ran mine a gallon low before and (hate to say this) about 20k miles with out a oil change.

I've done it, no problem. Is the IDM full of water?

Edit: a gallon low, not 20K OCI, wow!

superduty4x4 10-23-2012 09:44 AM

IPR wiring harness looked okay but there could be an issue further up the harness under the loom, that along with checking the IDM were the next two items on my list to check.

superduty4x4 10-26-2012 05:27 PM

Got it figured out... frickin burned UVCH of all things.

oldbird1965 10-26-2012 07:29 PM

figures...