Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   EcoBoost Chip Recommendation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1197882-ecoboost-chip-recommendation.html)

pdhj1990 10-21-2012 07:26 PM

EcoBoost Chip Recommendation

Has anybody used a performance chip for their EcoBoost motor? If so, what were your results in terms of mpg and/or hp improvement?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Also, are these chips in conflict with Ford's warranty and/or an extended warranty?<o:p></o:p>

Finally, does anyone have a recommendation i.e. manufacturer, model, cost, etc for the 2012 FX 4x4, EcoBoost?

Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Paul<o:p></o:p>

TOOLOUD1 10-22-2012 07:08 AM

Search -search -search. Plenty of threads that answer all of you're questions

BURNSTOUGHFORD 10-24-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TOOLOUD1 (Post 12398954)
Search -search -search. Plenty of threads that answer all of you're questions

If your going to post that why didt you just awnser him or not reply at all???

I have heard great things about 5 star tuning. They are site sponsor. Check them out.

TOOLOUD1 10-24-2012 03:18 PM

I wasn't being a d@ck but Nobody searches anymore and we end up with too many posts asking the same thing. Mods usually post the same thing

tseekins 10-24-2012 07:39 PM

There actually doesn't appear to be much info on chips for the EB trucks. They are available from Mikes and many other sources but it seems that only a few guys have actually chipped them.

So, I encourage any all questions regarding our trucks, even if they've been asked before. It's up to John or me to merge threads if the subjects are that closely related.

pdhj1990 10-24-2012 09:25 PM

I did search the forum before I started this thread. However, I didn't find any info regarding chips and EcoBoost motors.

Take care...........Tool :-X04

Paul

96sherm 10-25-2012 08:13 AM

I'm tuned with tunes from 5-star tuning on an SCT tuner. I'm also running an AFE stage II intake and magnaflow single side 3" exhaust. Once you've driven a tuned truck, you'll never go back. Turbo whistle is sweet, exhaust has a nice tone to it.

Mike at 5-star is a stand-up guy. Customer service is #1, and he's very patient with technological idiots like myself who have a tough time figuring things out with computers. Bonus to Mike is the SCT crew, who is very helpful at all times.

PrinceValium 10-29-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 96sherm (Post 12410623)
I'm tuned with tunes from 5-star tuning on an SCT tuner. I'm also running an AFE stage II intake and magnaflow single side 3" exhaust. Once you've driven a tuned truck, you'll never go back. Turbo whistle is sweet, exhaust has a nice tone to it.

Mike at 5-star is a stand-up guy. Customer service is #1, and he's very patient with technological idiots like myself who have a tough time figuring things out with computers. Bonus to Mike is the SCT crew, who is very helpful at all times.

So am I understanding correctly that any tuning will void the warranty?

TOOLOUD1 10-29-2012 08:16 AM

Yes you are correct- but there are ways around that.

thomastl 10-29-2012 03:25 PM

I am told by a very good service manager that if you have a serious engine problem (blown engine, burned up tranny, rear end, transfer case, or turbo issue) that Ford first will request that the dealer send the computer to them for testing. They can tell if it has been tuned and reset to factory. If they find that it has been tuned, warrenty is void.

That does not mean that starter, alternator, and all the other stuff on the engine or vehicle is void, but the powertrain warrenty will be void.

Beechkid 10-30-2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TOOLOUD1 (Post 12424453)
Yes you are correct- but there are ways around that.

Not any more....

Custom Tuners- Reprogramming Detection
Ecoboost motors and PCM flashing - FORD - FlatRateTech
Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:30 AM
Fullsizeblazin “They most definitely can! Once they pull the Mode 9 file on the IDS all your dirty little secrets will be revealed and your warranty will be promptly voided.”

and that is even if you set it back to stock..this provides all the history..........

Beechkid 10-30-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by thomastl (Post 12426340)
I am told by a very good service manager that if you have a serious engine problem (blown engine, burned up tranny, rear end, transfer case, or turbo issue) that Ford first will request that the dealer send the computer to them for testing. They can tell if it has been tuned and reset to factory. If they find that it has been tuned, warrenty is void.

That does not mean that starter, alternator, and all the other stuff on the engine or vehicle is void, but the powertrain warrenty will be void.

It doesn't even have to be sent to the OEM anymore.....every dealer should have the cabability to read the files and send it to ford for warranty denial verification

excaliber551 11-03-2012 04:53 PM

There is no way I'd tune the EB until it's out of warranty. You'll end up at the dealer for warranty service and they'll nail you.

The days of getting away with a tune is up at Ford.

96sherm 11-05-2012 06:54 AM

I believe its up to the dealer/service writer. They have the power to yay or nay...

jimmy-six 12-01-2012 12:16 AM

My ordered Eco is built but not yet delivered. Has anyone added a plug in monitor for egt, boost, intake temps etc. I had a Bully-Dog on my 6.0 and would like one for the Eco. It was nice to reset codes while driving