Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Steering box/pitman arm question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1197163-steering-box-pitman-arm-question.html)

vntgtrk 10-18-2012 02:06 PM

Steering box/pitman arm question

I'm familiar with the Toyota 4X4 power steering box conversion. I also know it ain't cheap. Rather than mess with making brackets for a p/s pump to fit my 223, how about a Toyota manual steering box? Seems like this would be good due to steering box availability. It's gotten to where you almost have to have your original box rebuilt and another ten years may see these boxes getting scarce.
Right now it looks like my steering box is servicable as is.
Now the pitman arm question. What about having a pitman arm made 1/4 to 1/2" longer to gain some mechanical advantage? Seems like this would be cheaper than converting to p/s. Any longer would make the steering awful twitchy. Thoughts?

EDIT: I knew right after posting that shortening the pitman arm would make for easier steering. Just like gears on a ten speed bike with the pitman arm being the gear at the crank end

iggy.ho 10-18-2012 07:12 PM

The only problem i see, the original box is about 6 turns lock to lock. the toyota manual is about 4 1/2 turns. using the original length pitman arm from each box might make the truck steer harder with the toyota box. maybe a shorter pitman arm and considering less friction with a modern box it might work fine! I guess the only way to know is go for it!!

vntgtrk 10-18-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by iggy.ho (Post 12387422)
The only problem i see, the original box is about 6 turns lock to lock. the toyota manual is about 4 1/2 turns. using the original length pitman arm from each box might make the truck steer harder with the toyota box. maybe a shorter pitman arm and considering less friction with a modern box it might work fine! I guess the only way to know is go for it!!

Thanks for the info. What year/s Toyota box do I need to hunt down?

willowbilly3 10-19-2012 01:19 AM

Making the pitman arm longer is going to make it steer harder, not easier.
You might consider other options, like a cross steer. You can get a tie rod end from speedway with the hole in it for the drag link.

vntgtrk 10-19-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by willowbilly3 (Post 12388529)
Making the pitman arm longer is going to make it steer harder, not easier.
You might consider other options, like a cross steer. You can get a tie rod end from speedway with the hole in it for the drag link.

I realized that as soon as I made the post. I'll check the speedway idea.

Gregxlt 05-16-2013 11:55 AM

Did you ever do the swap and how did it turn out if so?

vntgtrk 05-16-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gregxlt (Post 13167665)
Did you ever do the swap and how did it turn out if so?

I found the stock box to be in real good shape. So I made gasket out of waxed cardboard (milk carton) and mounted it up. Steering is surprisingly easy but I also don't have anything hung on the front. Once the engine and trans are back in I'll have a better idea what it's gonna be like