Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Factory remote start doesn't work after new keys (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1195716-factory-remote-start-doesnt-work-after-new-keys.html)

LucasMN 10-11-2012 06:16 PM

Factory remote start doesn't work after new keys

Hello,

Not the typical question on how to program a remote start. 2002 F150.

I had a Workimg 4 button fob with remote start and 1 key. The remote start is factory, even have a booklet from Ford on how to program it. I bought a second key off ebay. Since I only had 1 key the locksmith had to use the handheld machine to reprogram both keys. They both work now and the fob will Lock/unlock the truck.

When i try to start with the fob, it tries to start (engine cranks) but the theft light flashes rapidly and the cranking stops. I've tried the 8 cycles of the key, locks cycle but when i press the fob they do not cycle (as said in many posts on programming it). Also tried putting a key in accessory mode and holding the bypass switch for 15 secs until horn beeps 3 times, then i push the lock button on the fob and the horn beeps once indicating the fob is programmed. I remove the keys, shut and lock the doors and hit the remote start button and it will crank and flash the theft light rapidly but no start. Still works to lock/unlock.

Any ideas?

projectSHO89 10-11-2012 07:39 PM

Evidently, the locksmith erased all the keys that were stored in the cluster's memory.

Most remote starts either use a real PATS key in a bypass module or a bypass module that contains an RFID chip that can be read by the module so it's code can be stored as a valid "key".

You'll need first to determine wht you have. If you have a module with a real key and you have two keys with separate codes (not clones), remove the key from the bypass module and program it as a 3rd key using the instructions in the manual. If yo have the module type with only the chip in it, you'll have to find someone who has those instructions.

LucasMN 10-12-2012 08:41 AM

I figured it out.

I probably didn't need to go pay to get the keys reset (only cost $25 from locksmith). Anyway, what I did was go through the procedure to program a third key (if you have 2 working keys), then after I pulled the second key out and you would normally put the 3rd unprogrammed key in I hit the remote start instead. The lights went on like accessory mode and then I hit the brake to stop the process before it tried to turn over. This programmed the bypass as a third key. Now the remote start works to start the truck.

Sometimes I impress myself :D

Edit: This was for a Code Alarm Remote start/unlock/lock system installed by Ford when the truck was new. On the remote, FCID: GOH-FOUR

projectSHO89 10-12-2012 10:36 AM

Good news, glad you got it.