Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   A '79 F600 is now mine! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1195362-a-79-f600-is-now-mine.html)

unclebryan 10-10-2012 01:39 AM

A '79 F600 is now mine!

What a great forum. I can't lurk any more. Too many questions! Here's my deal: A couple I barely know (she's the aunt of a friend of mine) just gave me (!) a 1979 F600. Now it's sure no show truck but it runs great and has a dump bed that works so I consider myself one lucky muchacho. It is located about 12 miles from my house and I'd like to drive it home. Here's the stumbling block: The brakes. Pedal is on the floor and it appears that there's no return spring on it or something because there's actually a piece of twine attached to the pedal. Don't know what the story is there. It has the hydro-vac system and the vacuum module is all the way back on the rear of the truck and not beneath the cab, for some reason. So who has the brake parts I'll need -- like probably the master cylinder and maybe the vacuum unit? I was chatting with a guy at O'Reilly's Auto Parts today and he seemed optimistic on some of the stuff. I don't know what's in need of replacement yet -- just trying to plan my next step.

One odd thing is that the side of the truck says "370 2-V" but there's a big ol' honkin' Holley four-barrel in there. Guess someone goosed the old motor at some point in time.

It has a 4-speed with 2-speed rear end. I'll post the VIN so that the experts can tell me what's what. Here it is! F60CVDC2700 -- Do with it what you will.

Speaking of oddities -- there is a lock on the driver's side fender that is of the "Alarm System" variety with a circular opening. The other side is accessible via the open driver's side door and I looked at it and the other side had a clip that held a small cylindrical metal thing that measured about 3/8" by 1 1/2" in size. Some wires came off of it that went nowhere. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I haven't.

Oh, and the giant-@$$ed muffler -- it has one of those "Two inlet, one big outlet" mufflers and it's nicely ventilated. I'll need one of those or maybe just two small ones -- depending on how much a new one is. Probably lots, I'm guessing.

So that's about it for now. I will appreciate any info and/or input on this old truck. I plan on using it with my wood chipper to make me some money. Yippee!

I guess I'll have to pay dues to post pictures. Better go get my debit card...

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah -- I also have a 1986 F350 with the 6.9 diesel motor too -- my "daily driver".

Thanks again from "unclebryan"!:-jammin

Rusty_Old_F250 10-10-2012 11:56 AM

Congrats! Free trucks are nice, but one trip to the parts store and they aren't free anymore!:-X04 I figured that out real quick!

I don't know if O'reillys has much for these trucks, but NAPA sure does, they can usually special order just about anything you need.

Do you have any pictures of the truck? We like pictures here, the more the better!

Sam

unclebryan 10-10-2012 12:17 PM

Yup -- I'll be making payments...

... one way or another! I'm cool with that though. I knew it was part of the deal. Yeah, NAPA is on my list too. If all the lower-priced outlets can't order me some brake parts then there's a heavy truck brake outlet in my home town (Louisville, Ky) but it's downtown and about 25 miles away. Thanks for the reply. I'll post pics as soon as the privilege is mine. Ten days & a handful of posts, I think...:-huh

arctic y block 10-10-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

tiny1 10-10-2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by unclebryan (Post 12358990)
... one way or another! I'm cool with that though. I knew it was part of the deal. Yeah, NAPA is on my list too. If all the lower-priced outlets can't order me some brake parts then there's a heavy truck brake outlet in my home town (Louisville, Ky) but it's downtown and about 25 miles away. Thanks for the reply. I'll post pics as soon as the privilege is mine. Ten days & a handful of posts, I think...:-huh

My fire department use to have a couple of old ('68 and a '79) Ford cab overs and we got most all of the needed parts for the trucks from our local NAPA store, including brake parts.

unclebryan 10-11-2012 12:37 AM

A picture for you...

Okay -- I did the "garage" thing and put up the only shot of my "New" truck that I have available. Not the greatest, but I'll take some more next time I'm out where it is.

I started taking the brake lines apart on the passenger-side front. That's where a broken flexible line is. Naturally, the old, rusty lines are snapping left and right. I'm hoping that these are not the Lucas/Girling brakes 'cause I hear that they're expensive to fix. I also put a bunch of Type F into the power steering unit and found out why it was dry. The cooler in front of the radiator has a hole in it. I will bypass it to get the truck home. And the drive belt is shot. Shocker, I know. So yeah, my parts list grows. I expected it though. :(

I will try and post some pics of the brakes in my "Garage" section.

NumberDummy 10-11-2012 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by unclebryan (Post 12357765)
VIN: F60CVDC2700

Welcome to FTE

F60 = F600 2WD (gas).

C = 370 2V

V = Kentucky Truck Assembly Plant.

DC2700 = 1979.

The 1973/79 Ford HEAVY Truck Parts Catalog is available on a CD from hipoparts.com

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH (800-543-4959) has the largest stock of obsolete Ford parts on the planet.

unclebryan 10-12-2012 01:12 AM

Wow...

Bill -- thanks for the info. Cincinnati is just up the road from me so if I ever need something at least it's not a prohibitively long trip.

I bought some short lengths of brake line today so I may be doing some reassembly soon. We'll see if this old truck will hold some brake fluid long enough to get me home in one piece! I also got a short pipe nipple to bypass the leaky power steering cooler. The plan comes together!

unclebryan 10-14-2012 12:10 AM

"Brake"-ing news...

Well I put the new flexible line on and replaced the broken steel line so the wheel part of the truck is now intact. I got the cap off of the master cylinder and found that it was a rusty mess inside. Pulled it off and started my search. After some false starts I found one at Advance Auto Parts. It will be shipped in from Indianapolis on Monday and cost 79 bucks plus tax so that's pretty cool. I think that this truck has been dry of fluid for quite some time -- at least in the front of the truck where the broken line was -- so I figure that the insides of the lines are rusty too. Once I get it apart back at my place I think I'll be replacing some steel lines along with the wheel cylinders -- front and rear.

I cut off the line to the busted power steering cooler and just plugged it right into the fluid reservoir. The steering works great now -- or at least pretty good. That new belt would come in handy. I'll have to look up the belt when my Ford parts cd gets here from the hipo parts place. I had to have one! I figure that it will come in handy. :-X22